Facts, Fantasy, and Bullet Weight - Page 5

Facts, Fantasy, and Bullet Weight

This is a discussion on Facts, Fantasy, and Bullet Weight within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't take it as "a bitter and abusive speech or piece of writing."...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Facts, Fantasy, and Bullet Weight

OD*
    I didn't take it as "a bitter and abusive speech or piece of writing."

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    But the government can kill innocent people without punishment (collateral damage). The ideologies are also different too. When you are a civilian, society doesn't give you the same leniency as military and LE.
    Uh...no. The military has rules of engagement. You cannot just go around killing anyone you wish with no fear of possible punishment.

The fact that the military uses FMJ ammo is partially due to treaties - but remember that the enemy is not a signatory to those treaties, so really, we are within our rights to use whatever ammo we wish.

The other, perhaps larger, factor is logistical. We have lots of FMJ ammo. It works. It feeds well, even in crappy beat up pistols and magazines. And, apparently, we do not seem to be killing too many innocents with through-and-through pistol shots - despite all that.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

But the government can kill innocent people without punishment (collateral damage).
    With that statement, it's rather obvious that you pay no attention to the several trials and convictions of US military personnel that have happened in the last few years. No matter what the anti-military loons proclaim, the military cannot act with impunity in regard to civilian casualties. Anyone why buys that nonsense is as deluded as they are.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    No matter what the anti-military loons proclaim, the military cannot act with impunity in regard to civilian casualties. Anyone why buys that nonsense is as deluded as they are.
    I don't think I'm deluded regarding Hiroshima or Nagasaki. All I really want to say is that the rules are different between military/war, LE, and civilians. Tthe military acts in the interest of the government, and the government makes the rules, and this is quite different than how civilians can act. Therefore as civilians we can't copy what the military and LE can do.

I don't think I'm deluded regarding Hiroshima or Nagasaki.
    I think you have now stepped off the deep end.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

are we still talking about bullet weight and caliber?
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    [QUOTE=jbr;2065435]are we still talking about bullet weight and caliber?[/QUOTE

I'm not sure. It appears that we have moved onto the topic of atomic bombs, and apparently how they pertain as a self defense tool.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

There's a big difference from a powerful bomb being used, and rounds fired from firearms.

A bomb has a targeted area/region. A bullet has far more limited scope of damage.

You cannot compare the end result of the two to one another. There is a chain of command followed for dropping bombs, while individual soldiers have to exercise their best judgement when discharging their firearms. Two very different things.

Whomever authorizes a bomb being used is the one to take responsibility for the act, and is given immunity provided a few conditions are met. It's still not a blanket immunity where they could arbitrarily drop the bomb on a random target. There has to be a reason for choosing the target location, and a justifiable reason at that.

Too bring us back to the shallow end: Military and LE can operate differently than civilians. Just because the military/LE uses something, doesn't mean it is best or permissible for civilians, and vice versa. Civilian self defense is not the same as war, military combat, or government authorized force. The scenarios can be different too.

The thread, as constituted, must be over.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Same dead horse.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    Yep I think we have reached the end.

I will admit my atomic bomb does over penetrate, is hard to conceal and there is a good chance that it would hurt a non threat target.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Well now you can't say that, because I'm LE, and when off duty use hard ball in my 1911, and lswc in my revolvers.
    Well I said I didn't know of any, now I do :P
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links