Aguila 117gr .45 acp IQ

Aguila 117gr .45 acp IQ

This is a discussion on Aguila 117gr .45 acp IQ within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone seen any ballistics on this ammunition? I have heard some good reviews but I cannot find any ballistic testing results...Thanks!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aguila 117gr .45 acp IQ

Aguila 117gr .45 acp IQ

Has anyone seen any ballistics on this ammunition? I have heard some good reviews but I cannot find any ballistic testing results...Thanks!

Try here:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/tact...2/article2.htm

Too little penetration for my tastes.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I want my carry ammo to penetrate certain things (walls of a house, car windows, chairs, couch,the smaller furniture that one might find in a house or business,etc.) to get to the BG. I feel that the fast, light ammo will not accomplish this.

I'll stick to my 230's.-------

Administrator

Thumbs up

I believe that the lighter weight HV fragmenting type ammunition absolutely has specialized use applications.

To name one...for instance would be inside a crowded bank with a marble or granite interior or in any place (like a mall) where a possible ricochet would have potentially catastrophic consequences.

One advantage of carrying a pistol over a revolver is that extremely quick magazine changes are possible (with practice) and the Good Guy can carry several (or more) spare magazines stoked with various ammunition types - in addition to the normal preferred carry ammo loaded in the pistol.

Thanks for your replies, it helps alot to get the opinion of others! I carry these and Remington Golden Saber 185gr (+P) staggared in the mags.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I use it in one of my 9mms and it works great. At $9 a box it's a good deal also. At one time ATF had actually looked at it as armor piercing but changed their minds. Have had zero problems with about 100 rounds of it thru my P99c and S&W 99.

Administrator
    One thing about Aguila...they really DO put the varied ammo out there for sale.
    I've never had any problems at all with their rimfire ammo & it's been great quality.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    QKShooter, could you please clarify your last para in post #4.

Are you saying that we(a GG) should carry spare mags with different loadings and when we enter a bank we should switch mags to a quicker expanding(less penetrating) bullet type ?? Of course to do this one would have to rack the slide to eject the chambered rd. also.

Or.....are you saying that we should wait 'til we get into a firefight to change mags to the "perfect load" ?? Or should we switch loads when a confrontation is suspected ?? How many differently loaded mags should we carry ??

Sorry sir, I just don't seem to understand. ------

+1 RSSZ OK What do you mean?

I used to carry Ag 117s. They shoot flat and not much recoil, big bang. I then heard about under penetration, etc. and now carry Hornandy 200gr.+p or Double Tap 200gr. (that are under +p ratings) w Gold Dot or Hornady bullets.
    ...one jagged hole!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I believe that the lighter weight HV fragmenting type ammunition absolutely has specialized use applications.

To name one...for instance would be inside a crowded bank with a marble or granite interior or in any place (like a mall) where a possible ricochet would have potentially catastrophic consequences.
    I think being cognisant of your background and taking shots that you are confident you have the ability to make are much more important factors in avoiding unintentionally hitting an innocent person than having Gucci ammo in your gun.

Lead Moderator
    Conventional HP ammo seems to work fine, why change?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I guess I'm just trying to get the "perfect" combo. of rounds. I like these rounds for their barrier penetration (especially windshields) and multiple wound channels at close range. Most of my confrontations occur at 12 feet or less. But the first two rounds will be Golden Saber +P 185gr. This is not to sat that several other conventional HP rounds are not just as good, especially the GoldDot bonded. They are pretty much the staple round for law enforcement.

If you are worried about shooting around vehicles, I would take a hard look at Winchester's 230-grain +P "T-series" (RA45TP) or their 230-grain Bonded round (RA45B). The RA45TP has an excellent reputation for stopping fights and both offer good penetration in commonly encountered automotive obstacles.

I would prefer either over the Aguila.

Thanks for the advise! I will try the Winchesters on the range. I have heard them spoke of before but have not seen them in use yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links