Limited life primer

Limited life primer

This is a discussion on Limited life primer within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I came across this link today. I have never heard of this, so I am assuming that this is very uncommon OR I am just ...

Thread: Limited life primer

Limited life primer

I came across this link today. I have never heard of this, so I am assuming that this is very uncommon OR I am just too new at this. Do any cartridge vendors use such technology?

Limited-life cartridge primers - US Patent 5773748 Description

Exclamation Chicken Little said "The sky is falling."

"The chemical technology to limit shelf life simply does not exist."
    U.S. Army Veteran

DOH! I really missed that one there...

This has been discussed as a way to control weapons in the past. I remember reading a proposal to do exactly that many years ago. It was shelved because we did not posses the means to do it reliably.
    This is not to say it will not be brought up at some future date.

Michael

Limited life primers

https://www.llnl.gov/str/Pat1198.html
    Daniel M. Makowiecki and Robert S. Rosen
    Limited-Life Cartridge Primers
    U.S. Patent 5,773,748
    June 30, 1998
    A cartridge primer using an explosive that can become inactive in a predetermined period of time. The primer's explosive or combustible material is an inorganic reactive multilayer (RML). The reaction products of the RML are submicrometer grains of noncorrosive inorganic compounds that have no harmful effects on firearms or cartridge cases. Unlike primers containing lead, primers with RMLs do not present a hazard to the environment. Physical structure and stored interfacial energy determine the sensitivity of an RML. The sensitivity lowers with time because of a decrease in interfacial energy resulting from interdiffusion of the elemental layers. Time-dependent interdiffusion is predictable, thereby enabling the functional life time of an RML primer to be predetermined by the materials selected for the reacting layers and their thickness.
    Limited-life cartridge primers
    Recently, there have been efforts to impose increasingly stricter gun-control measures by state and federal legislatures, as well as a call for “safer bullets” by the U.S. Surgeon General, in order to reduce the occurrence of violent crime. The effectiveness of new gun control legislation is the subject of much debate due to loop-holes in the laws and, perhaps, more importantly, the number of firearms already owned by the general public (estimated to be as high as 200 million firearms nationwide). There is a need for alternate methods of reducing the occurrence of gun related violence, such as controlling the availability of ammunition. One method of controlling the availability of ammunition that has been suggested is to limit its usable service-life. It is generally accepted that limiting the shelf-life of the primer is the most efficient method of controlling the usable service life of ammunition, because the complexity of the primer makes it the most difficult cartridge component to duplicate or replace.
    The advancement in gun control technology does not depend on the sky actually falling.

Michael

Links