best sd ammo from 3' barrel

This is a discussion on best sd ammo from 3' barrel within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a cm9 and have read not to use a 147 grain bullet because of the shorter barrel. Are there any bullets designed for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: best sd ammo from 3' barrel

best sd ammo from 3' barrel

I have a cm9 and have read not to use a 147 grain bullet because of the shorter barrel. Are there any bullets designed for short barrels to expand at lower velocity?

Also just wondering what you would recommend between federal hst, speer gold dot, and winchester ranger t?
    Can these bullets be reliable to expand properly with the right grain out of 3' barrel, if so what grain is that?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Gold Dot short barrel ammo,wife carries it in the 124grain in her G26.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler7654 View Post
    I have a cm9 and have read not to use a 147 grain bullet because of the shorter barrel. Are there any bullets designed for short barrels to expand at lower velocity?

Also just wondering what you would recommend between federal hst, speer gold dot, and winchester ranger t?
    Can these bullets be reliable to expand properly with the right grain out of 3' barrel, if so what grain is that?

Thanks
    I'm puzzled by "what you have read" on the 147 gr.? Both Speer Gold Dot short barrel and Winchester PDX 1 - bonded round seem to tout their short barrel proficiency. I carry either Speer GD +P or Ranger T +P in my PPS* when I need to slim down. My HK P2000 SKs get a dose of ranger t-series 9mm +P+ or 357 sig. The DT 357 sig 147 gr I'm just trying out. I owe that to the Glockman10mm and his pet attack elephant! and the cost those is mind numming!

* on the PPS I've fianlly got one that will shoot JHP without "Failure to Feed" issues. Two trips to S & W CS and nine months later they finally send a new one that can actually work in an SD event!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I like the 147gr Golden Sabers out of my PPS. If you look at the links above,l I think you will see that any "loss" of velocity is minimal or virtually non-existant. GS is very accurate for me, and as a non- +P load great for that quick second-third shot. Did I mention it cost #14.95 per box of 25?

Decide for yourself.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I'm of the impression that the higher grain weight is the way to go with the shorter barrels. RA9T Winchester Ranger 147gr T-series HP for me in my Kel-tec PF-9.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

If I were feeding a 9mm with a 3-inch barrel, I'd play with the various 147 grain ammunition offerings first and foremost.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler7654 View Post

Thanks
    Quite possibly we should forget about 'expanding projectiles' and stick with basics. More often than not, the FMJ still makes a hole. The end results of your encounter often hinge on when you quit shooting. If you think for a moment that your choice of ammo will have a better outcome with a one stop shot...then you've obviously been misled. You just keep shooting until you are no longer in danger. You don't shoot once and wait for a response in order to decide whether or not to shoot again. If you go out armed on the street these days, then you need to prepare for way more than a simple indecision about what ammo you have in your gun. Keep on the sunny side.
    JerryMac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Gold Dot short barrel ammo,wife carries it in the 124grain in her G26.
    I second the Gold Dot Short Barrel 124 gr.

Here it is: Ammunition To Go : 20rds - 9mm Speer Gold Dot 124gr. HP Ammo [23618] - $20.95
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Did you misread the title? "best sd ammo from 3' barrel" A 3 foot barrel ain't no sub compact. :)
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

I bought some 147 gr Gold Dot ammo recently for duty use in my Glocks, for better barrier penetration (as an Auxiliary, I have to supply my own sidearm and ammo). I wondered if I should use this out of the short (3") barrel of my PM9. Searching around, I found this:

9mm 147gr and Short Barrels - M4Carbine.net Forums

Bottom line is that the 147 gr should work just fine, as it suffers less percentage velocity loss, compared to the faster/lighter rounds.

Now I just have to get myself to the range and make sure it feeds!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

What ever you can accuatly put on target
    Majorlk likes this.

I've fed my CM9 both 124 +p and 147 Speer GD. I emailed Speer to get their opinion on it and they replied saying some like, Out of the short 3" barrel the 147 will lose too much velocity to penetrate deep enough and probably not expand either. They recommended the 124 +p. I've been curious about this myself.

Edit: After reading 10thmtn's link now i'm a little confused

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Quite possibly we should forget about 'expanding projectiles' and stick with basics. More often than not, the FMJ still makes a hole. The end results of your encounter often hinge on when you quit shooting. If you think for a moment that your choice of ammo will have a better outcome with a one stop shot...then you've obviously been misled. You just keep shooting until you are no longer in danger. You don't shoot once and wait for a response in order to decide whether or not to shoot again. If you go out armed on the street these days, then you need to prepare for way more than a simple indecision about what ammo you have in your gun. Keep on the sunny side.
    Of course, there is that whole pesky thing about being responsible for where your bullets end up. I for one like expansion to stop over-penetration and hitting innocent people. Shoot the BG and kill a bystander with a pass through and you are going to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Of course, there is that whole pesky thing about being responsible for where your bullets end up. I for one like expansion to stop over-penetration and hitting innocent people. Shoot the BG and kill a bystander with a pass through and you are going to jail.
    Agreed. Using FMJ bullets with 9mm is a really bad idea for the reasons mentioned above.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links