Corbon 115gr +P JHP 9mm - Page 2

Corbon 115gr +P JHP 9mm

This is a discussion on Corbon 115gr +P JHP 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by shockwave You're right - they were. I snagged that picture back when I was mostly shooting .38 spl and that round and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Corbon 115gr +P JHP 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    You're right - they were. I snagged that picture back when I was mostly shooting .38 spl and that round and the 9mm are about the same in performance. All the tests with DPX show this kind of clean, predictable expansion.

I really want those wide, jagged, petal-shaped flanges in my SD ammo. Even though DPX is expensive and it is painful to shoot a box for testing with your CCW, it's worth it. Unlike some, I don't think I need to shoot 1,000 rounds of this to prove my firearm. I do need to shoot at least a box of it. If the gun feeds everything else without trouble, then I'm good to go.
    I agree. The Barnes TAC-XP bullets are one of the best JHP bullet designs on the market, and they consistently expand to the same diameter over and over and over while penetrating just as well as premium 147 gr. JHP bullets.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I carry Federal 115gn +p+ @ $17 per box of 50 rounds. If for some reason I can not find that ammo, then I would go with Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

@Shockwave, what rounds are we looking at in the photo?

Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    @Shockwave, what rounds are we looking at in the photo?
    Left to right:

.38 Special Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 gr. +P, .38 COR-BON DPX 110 gr. +P. and .38 Hornady Critical Defense 110 gr. +P
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

That does seem expensive. I use Speer GD 124gr +p and I can get a box of 50 for that price. It is a good idea to run more than just a mag or two of your SD ammo for reliability. I usually break a gun in w/ about 250 rounds, 100 of which are SD ammo.

My carry ammo usually gets shot off at least twice a year. Just be careful of set-back if you keep charging the same rounds if you're downloading your mags when you use target ammo.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I ran tests on the Older Cor-Bon 115Gr JHP +P 9MM vs the newer Cor-Bon 115GR DPX All Copper round at my indoor range where the light levels are low. There was considerable white muzzle flash with the JHP compared to the deep red slight flash from the DPX. i shot the rest of the JHP up and bought more of the DPX.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

This ballistics test is Corbon 115+P being shot into some chicken! Totally wrecks the insides! Some police depts. carry this ammo swearing that it stops the BG as well as any 40 caliber ammo!

Cor-Bon 115gr 9mm JHP +P - Ammo test - YouTube

Good idea to use expired chicken. I don't think you can get a live chicken into one of those neat little plastic packages.

at one point, perhaps 12 tears ago, the standard Cor Bon 115 grain +P was one of the top performing SD rounds in 9mm. while there are probably rounds that now out-perform it, it certainly hasn't gotten any worse during that time. it's still my primary carry round in my Sig P-239/9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Aren't the examples you just put up of .38 Special rounds?

Here's 9mm COR-BON DPX 115 gr. +P vs. Federal HST 147 gr.

9mm Corbon 115 gr +P Barnes XPB JHP; ave vel=1229 fps (G19); gel cal= 9.5cm@593fps
    BG: pen=14.8", RD=0.54", RL=0.48", RW=115.1gr
    4LD: pen=15.1", RD=0.54", RL=0.49", RW=115.4gr

9mm Fed 147 gr HST JHP; ave vel=997 fps (G19)
    BG: pen=14.6", RD=0.61", RL=0.39", RW=147.1gr
    4LD: pen=15.6", RD=0.56", RL=0.53", RW=145.5gr

Attachment 54530

Despite it's cost, I've switched back from the Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P to the 9mm DPX as well.
    Correct me if wrong. The data you show here, the HST is almost equal? Why would you go +P adding more wear to the weapon? Thanks!
    Build your own! http://www.ktordnance.com/kto/

Jetico.......BC Wipe

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    Back in the day I talked to Pete at Corbon. He called the 115+P 9MM load his bread and butter load. This was their most popular 9MM round. Police and Civilians were buying it like crazy. Evan Marshal also gave it his approval.

this july 4th i shot my corbon powerball +P 9mm through phone books and was AMAZED at how much more the corbon penetrated compared to these cheapo generic MFS 9mm FMJs 115gr i had, which you'd think would penetrate more just by the shape of the bullet and not being set up for hollow point mushrooming, not so... just look at the ballistics and foot pounds... Corbon is pretty much it... wouldn't want hotter if there is much out there hotter and of course make sure your gun can handle +P and is rated for it...your 1400 fps looks good enough, if to be believed as so nice and well rounded a number ;)
    Pow'Rball: 100gr 1474fps 483 foot pounds... so it looks like u have something comparable, which is what btw

- so why not have the greater hollow point mushrooming effect of the powerball and at least as good a loader with the FMJ effect of the powerball stuck in the hollow point? - these penetrate better as well compared to the usual hollow points...
    Quote Originally Posted by 9 Micky Mouse View Post
    Hello,
    All, anyone here carry Corbon 9mm 115gr +P for personal protection? DPX is expensive for 20rds here they want $46.00.

Now for the dumb question. With new bullet techology out there would any of you feel that this round is inadequate for the job?
    From the Bureau of Justice Statistics:
    1976-2005: 29,437 whites killed by blacks minus 11,262 blacks killed by whites equals 18,175 white deficit

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/hom.../ovracetab.cfm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links