Corbon 115gr +P JHP 9mm

This is a discussion on Corbon 115gr +P JHP 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, All, anyone here carry Corbon 9mm 115gr +P for personal protection? DPX is expensive for 20rds here they want $46.00. Now for the dumb ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Corbon 115gr +P JHP 9mm

Corbon 115gr +P JHP 9mm

Hello,
    All, anyone here carry Corbon 9mm 115gr +P for personal protection? DPX is expensive for 20rds here they want $46.00.

Now for the dumb question. With new bullet techology out there would any of you feel that this round is inadequate for the job?
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 9 Micky Mouse View Post
    Hello,
    All, anyone here carry Corbon 9mm 115gr +P for personal protection? DPX is expensive for 20rds here they want $46.00.

Now for the dumb question. With new bullet techology out there would any of you feel that this round is inadequate for the job?
    Can I ask you what drew you to this load?

I would consider this load to be "new bullet technology," and it's more than adequate for self defense. Like you already noted, however, it's maniacally expensive, and there are many other loads which do the same job just fine at less than half the cost of the CorBon DPX.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I don't understand the cost issue. I don't do a lot of shooting with my self defense ammo. I run it through my weapon to make sure it's reliable, and then shoot the SD ammo rarely.

I carry Cor-Bon DPX 115 gr .38SPC in my J-frame.

Inadequate? No,unless you need to shoot through hard barrier (which I don't see happening in my likely SD scenarios). My intended SD goal is to damage organ or central nerve system, and any caliber that meets FBI standards is capable of that goal.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    I don't understand the cost issue. I don't do a lot of shooting with my self defense ammo. I run it through my weapon to make sure it's reliable, and then shoot the SD ammo rarely.

I carry Cor-Bon DPX 115 gr .38SPC in my J-frame.

Inadequate? No,unless you need to shoot through hard barrier (which I don't see happening in my likely SD scenarios). My intended SD goal is to damage organ or central nerve system, and any caliber that meets FBI standards is capable of that goal.

Jake
    I guess we differ in our "running [ammo] through the weapon" technique.

I put 300 rounds MINIMUM of my carry ammo through my weapon before I consider it "reliable." That may be somewhat excessive to some, but it's my life (and possibly others lives), so... (To put this in perspective, I've put over 500 rounds of 180 gr. Federal HST through my Glock 23).

In that respect, Corbon DPX at his pricing would have cost me $690.

Shooting 300 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P cost me $150. (Vacation money?)

There is your cost issue.
    Guest1 likes this.

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Yep, and good hits are golden and bad hits are...bad hits no matter which is chosen.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Are you asking about the DPX or the plain JHP? I have no experience with the DPX in 9mm but I have used the JHP for many years in a couple of guns. One of my dedicated house guns is loaded with it and I've shot it a bunch in a carbine in 9. One of my plain old beat up Ruger P85s is match accurate with it. I remember being shocked at the range when I shot it.

The conventional JHP carries a lot of energy, expands through clothes, violently expands in tissue, and penetrates enough for me to trust it.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by 9 Micky Mouse View Post
    Who is asking that price? Corbon's retail price is $32, and you can find it for less if you shop around on the Internet a bit.

9mm Luger Plus P 115gr DPX | COR®BON/Glaser Self Defense | Dakota Ammo

Ex Member Array Jim Rat-a tat tat's Avatar
    Hes not talking about DPX he is talking about the regular Corbon 115gr +p JHP. I used to carry it exclusively but have recently switched to the Gold Dot 124gr +p. I still have some of the Corbon. You will like it and its more than adequate for social work.

I guess I'm different. People that need shooting aren't usually worth much to begin with. So I'd rather not have to spend anymore than necessary on the scoundrel, so make mine a plain Jane lswc, standard or + p
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

My ONLY carry is Winchester Rangers +P+
    mrwonderful likes this.

Lc9 Win. bonded 147 gr this is what I have the most of.

115gr, Not much more than a really really fast .380 IMO. I'd suggest loading up to the 147gr standard pressure JHP, or the +p if you want a little more horsepower. A lot of folks like the FPE that these lightweight rounds generate, but unfortunately IMO, it's the shot placement and the rounds ability to get to the depth of the vitals with enough energy to destroy what's in it's path while getting there.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    After reviewing the expansion patterns of various SD ammo, I went with the Corbon DPX 9mm 115gr +P. If you could carry one of the following, which example meets your criteria?

"It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Aren't the examples you just put up of .38 Special rounds?

Here's 9mm COR-BON DPX 115 gr. +P vs. Federal HST 147 gr.

9mm Corbon 115 gr +P Barnes XPB JHP; ave vel=1229 fps (G19); gel cal= 9.5cm@593fps
    BG: pen=14.8", RD=0.54", RL=0.48", RW=115.1gr
    4LD: pen=15.1", RD=0.54", RL=0.49", RW=115.4gr

9mm Fed 147 gr HST JHP; ave vel=997 fps (G19)
    BG: pen=14.6", RD=0.61", RL=0.39", RW=147.1gr
    4LD: pen=15.6", RD=0.56", RL=0.53", RW=145.5gr

9mmCorbon115grPJHP.jpg

Despite it's cost, I've switched back from the Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P to the 9mm DPX as well.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Aren't the examples you just put up of .38 Special rounds?
    You're right - they were. I snagged that picture back when I was mostly shooting .38 spl and that round and the 9mm are about the same in performance. All the tests with DPX show this kind of clean, predictable expansion.

I really want those wide, jagged, petal-shaped flanges in my SD ammo. Even though DPX is expensive and it is painful to shoot a box for testing with your CCW, it's worth it. Unlike some, I don't think I need to shoot 1,000 rounds of this to prove my firearm. I do need to shoot at least a box of it. If the gun feeds everything else without trouble, then I'm good to go.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links