Thought on Winchester Ranger

This is a discussion on Thought on Winchester Ranger within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just watched this test .40 S&W Winchester Ranger T-Series 165 gr Ammo Test - YouTube I do not own a .40 but am thinking about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Thought on Winchester Ranger

Thought on Winchester Ranger

Just watched this test .40 S&W Winchester Ranger T-Series 165 gr Ammo test - YouTube I do not own a .40 but am thinking about the ranger ammo for my 9mm and 45 acp's anyone using it? Looks pretty wicked.

2. Remove Ads

I carry the 127grain RA9TA in my 9mms and the 230grain RA45TP in my P220.
    I have read a couple of articles that state the Ranger T may be up to 5% more effective than other "more taditional" hollow point designs if certain specific criteria are met. The selling points for me were fifty round boxes priced comparably to twenty round boxes of other "premium" SD ammo and personal satisfaction with other Winchester products in the past. And of course being an immigrant to Texas how could I say no to Rangers?
    ArkhmAsylm likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I don't buy much into these back woods ballistic tests. Big difference in shooting a person with one in SD than a block of gel in the back yard. As for the Ranger Ts I think they are a fine round that has a proven track record with law enforcement. I use the 147 gr in my 9mms and have not had a problem with them yet. As stated above I like the fact I can get 50 round boxes online for what you would pay for a 20 or 25 round box at a retail store. I would not feel bad at all to carry them in any of my .40s but the Gold Dots beat them out and I'll stick with that as I know they function well in my weapon and I can get the 50 round boxes of those without a problem as well.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I carry the 147gr RA9T in my 9mm. As the above said, the Winchester's are priced very well compared to other SD ammo, and they have a very well proven track record. Plus, have you seen one of these things after it expands? It looks like some sort of evil ninja throwing star with two extra petals.
    ArkhmAsylm likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    I carry the 147gr RA9T in my 9mm. As the above said, the Winchester's are priced very well compared to other SD ammo, and they have a very well proven track record. Plus, have you seen one of these things after it expands? It looks like some sort of evil ninja throwing star with two extra petals.
    In all the testing I've seen, I've yet to see one expand anything like the nasty one they show on their website.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    In all the testing I've seen, I've yet to see one expand anything like the nasty one they show on their website.
    I don't think there is a whole lot difference in the Ranger Ts compared to other high quality HPs. I have read some reports staying they are only about 3% more effective than other HPs and that is only if they hit if the talons can cut major organs and arteries. I'm not knocking the Ranger T rounds at all because it is a premium LE / SD round. I don't believe that it has any properties that would make it more effective than any other premium HP that hit the target and functioned properly.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Lol I'm not talking about the website. I am talking about personal testing into gelatin. Of course they don't look as perfect as on the website, but they almost always have the very sharp re-curve shaped barbs sticking out, which, IMO, are pretty nasty looking.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I carry the 230 grain in my P220 dark elite. It is some nasty ammo, I guarantee if you need to use it in defense it will WORK! The talons are super sharp and will create a very long and wide wound tract. I give it A+ for effectiveness. It shoots well too, surprisingly low recoil.
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

RKM
    Surprising that it expanded through the denim. Usually the Ranger T has pretty poor performance through denim. On bare gel, it's absolutely nasty. But not reliable enough through clothing for me to want to carry.

If they could make the Ranger-T to be consistent through clothing, I'd be sold, but I have yet to see that. FWIW, I carry DPX. Consistent penetration and expansion even through heavy clothing. If only they made a 230gr version.

I would be happy with any of the leading brands of high quality HP ammo and have some Federal HST but mostly Ranger 127 +p+ and 124+p in my guns. About a month ago I got a box of 147gr Ranger to test, but have not made it to the range to test yet

I think any manufacturer putting a percentage of stopping power effectiveness on their ammo is irresponsible, if not downright deceitful. There are too many variables in a shooting to say something is 5% better, or 3% more or whatever. Serious studies have been done using all kinds of data and science (and voodoo magic, and plain old BS) and nobody has yet designed that 100% bullet yet.
    Majorlk likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

It works!!

It is our issued duty ammo. I also carry it in my offduty weapon. Love this stuff.

M203,40 mm,sure one stop shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I think any manufacturer putting a percentage of stopping power effectiveness on their ammo is irresponsible, if not downright deceitful. There are too many variables in a shooting to say something is 5% better, or 3% more or whatever. Serious studies have been done using all kinds of data and science (and voodoo magic, and plain old BS) and nobody has yet designed that 100% bullet yet.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    AZ, since Ranger is the duty ammo for the PD in Mexifornia I'm insulting, sorry thats consulting for, all the ME reports in their after action shooting reports that I've seen show a very discernable star with very good expansion. In addition, our tests show the 9mm +P+ will penetrate the class (level) 3 UL listed bullet resistant glass we're putting in the new range. Class (level) 3 is 44 Magnum rated.

For those who take umbrage at "Mexifornia", please the book by the same name: Amazon.com: Mexifornia: A State of Becoming (9781594032172): Victor Davis Hanson: Books

I normally carry Ranger and the only exceptions are in my PPS I carry 9 mm Gold Dot +P and I'm trying the DT 357 sig 147 gr.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links