ammo question - Page 2

ammo question

This is a discussion on ammo question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AZ Hawk I never use a round in my carry gun that's been chambered more than once. Any round chambered more than ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ammo question

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    I never use a round in my carry gun that's been chambered more than once. Any round chambered more than once moves into my training ammo stockpile. When I go to the range, I remove my carry mag and leave the round that I chambered in the chamber and shoot it.

This isn't necessary in regards to SD pistol ammo, but is a MUST DO with ALL SD/Hunting/HD/Duty rifle/carbine ammo which is why I practice it with my SD pistol ammo as well. I don't like creating bad habits.

You should NEVER EVER use a round that's been chambered more than three times for SD. The last thing you need in an SD situation is a FTF on the first shot, as the first shot is ALWAYS the most important shot.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the info. It's something I've never considered. With the Glock, my practice has been to rack one, unload the mag and replace the round, and reset the mag. I'm somewhat skeptical that the action of running the round up the feed ramp would distort the round to the point of failure, but does anyone have any empirical evidence? Since I rotate thru 3 carry mags, this means I've re-racked the first two rounds of each mag numerous times. I just pulled them and layed them side by side to discern a difference. Nothing out of the ordinary. But, if need be, I'll just lay a fresh round in the pipe and leave it alone until some scum bag begs me to release it. This is a new issue to me. What say ye?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Thanks for the info. It's something I've never considered. With the Glock, my practice has been to rack one, unload the mag and replace the round, and reset the mag. I'm somewhat skeptical that the action of running the round up the feed ramp would distort the round to the point of failure, but does anyone have any empirical evidence? Since I rotate thru 3 carry mags, this means I've re-racked the first two rounds of each mag numerous times. I just pulled them and layed them side by side to discern a difference. Nothing out of the ordinary. But, if need be, I'll just lay a fresh round in the pipe and leave it alone until some scum bag begs me to release it. This is a new issue to me. What say ye?
    You shouldn't really have issues as 9mm isn't known for having issues with bullet setback.

Like I said before, the reason I never chamber a SD round more than once in my EDC is because I don't want this practice to translate over to my carbine. With a carbine, chambering a round twice can cause enough setback to cause a FTF.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links