9mm, and what the heck is wrong with me?

This is a discussion on 9mm, and what the heck is wrong with me? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased probably the 9th or 10th 9mm handgun I've owned over the last 15 years. I'm a 45 guy at heart, but truly ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 9mm, and what the heck is wrong with me?

I just purchased probably the 9th or 10th 9mm handgun I've owned over the last 15 years. I'm a 45 guy at heart, but truly compact 45s are not easy to find nor inexpensive. Each time I have chosen to buy a 9mm, I feel like I just bought a weak round. I look at the ammo, and it looks anemic. I have looked at tons of research that tells me that a well selected 9mm round will do the job, penetrating and dumping energy into a bad guy just like a 45. I almost feel like I let myself down.

Here is what really confuses me about myself... I do not feel that way about a 38 Special or a 380 ACP.

Am I just nuts?

My new pistol is a Kel Tec PF9. It shoots well, and is plenty small. It seems to like PDX1 124 grain +P. Maybe if I refer to it as a 355 Auto, I will like it better...

Anyone else have an unfounded aversion to a round? Keep in mind, UNFOUNDED.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Administrator
    I feel the same way when I see a BIG MAC or ARBYs Roast Beef on TV compared to the way they actually look when I go out & buy one.

The 9mm is comparable to the 38spl. I think the main difference in my mind is the ability of the revolver to shoot heavier hardcast bullets for a little more oomph. But the 9mm is to be respected. It has good power and is chambered for guns with a 2 or 3 to 1 capacity over revolvers in the 38. If you like the 380, you should really like the 9mm.

Sometimes things just get in our heads. For me, it is that I cannot bring myself to purchase any gun but the 1911 to fire the 45acp. Go figure.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by FHBrumb View Post
    Anyone else have an unfounded aversion to a round? Keep in mind, UNFOUNDED.
    Used to, but I got over it. I too found I couldn't get that super small .45 acp for carry when I don't feel like strapping on the heft of a 1911. So I went to a small 9mm to add to the rotation. NYPD uses 9mm with 124gr +p Gold Dots, so can you. I must say though, I have been eyeing a M&P 45 Compact to go with my 9 compact.

The reality is we all get caught up in "bigger is better" and all that jazz. Personally I feel safe knowing my 9mm holds 13 and my 1911 only held 8. So I have the ability to put more lead downrange faster. To me, that seems like a decisive advantage vs a bad guy who will likely not sit still while I shoot at him.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Tried .45acp. Never took a shine to big, and slow.

VIP Member
    I'm the opposite. I see a time and place for them all.

I sort of use the analogy (for thought comparison) of shopping for a kayak. Lots of choices. Sit on top? Sit inside? 9 foot or 19 ft? Wood? Fiberglass? Plastic? Carbon fiber? Hatches? How many? How large? Many brands to choose from. They're all good. It just depends on who you are, what you are going to do, what you like.

You like 38 sp or .380, buy that. You have to make yourself happy, not live up to some non-existent ideal.

And that's true of almost everything in life.

Now, how come you didn't mention 40? You said you like the .45 but can't find a gun that is sufficiently compact at a price you like in that caliber. O.K. How about G27 in 40 or similar from other manufacturers?
    HotGuns likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I had a 40 or three... I like 40 just fine. I had a Glock 22, a Firestar M40, and a BHP, just off the top of my head.

My first 45 was actually a Star PD, as I recall. Currently, I love my XD.

The stable as it dots is an LCP, PF9, S&W M65, and the XD45.

It's the 9mm round itself... Dunno... Heck, some 9mm reads like a 357 these days. I should certainly respect that!
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Sometimes things just get in our heads. For me, it is that I cannot bring myself to purchase any gun but the 1911 to fire the 45acp. Go figure.

Take a Glock 30SF and an M&P 45 Compact with two aspirins and you will be better in the morning.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Try shooting one handed - with your support hand.

You might start to like the 9mm better - though maybe not from that light weight PF9.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

My .380 is deadly accurate at point-shooting - but my larger 9mm will deliver a harder punch and also just as accurate - then again, so is my .45ACP that's even larger and delivers a heck of a lot harder wallop - darn, my .44mag is bigger and even badder yet - ahhhh, pop-guns, compared to my .454 Casull - but none of them comes close to my big bad .500 S&W hand-cannon that will drop a bear like a lightning strike.

Decisions, decisions, decisions, which one do I carry today? The one that's most comfortable to carry concealed according to what I'm going to be doing, where I'm going, and how I'm dressed.

I know too many friends who feel they have to carry a big-dog that's capable of carrying out major combat duty for blowing up a potential attacker like a ripe melon, but find carrying it for long periods of time so uncomfortable, movement restrictive, and difficult to properly conceal that they don't carry it often and end up leaving it in the car (or at home) more often than not.

Choose the one that you can comfortably carry concealed for long periods without hassle, inconvenience, or restriction of your normal movement because that's the one you'll carry all the time. Try to remember that a .380 or subcompact 9mm in hand has an infinitely greater effectiveness and stopping power in a sudden defensive situation than a .40, .45ACP, .45 Colt, .44 mag, .454 Casull or .500 S&W that are at home or out in the car.
    tkruf, wmhawth, shooterX and 2 others like this.

Sometimes what you buy is what is best for you
    Inspector71 likes this.

OP : that's a definite contradiction. Maybe it's just your preferences, for whatever reason.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Nothing wrong with 9mm ! In standard loadings it's hotter than a 38 +P, in +P and +P+ loadings it's outright mean. Most 124 gr +P 9mm put out 399 ft-lbs of energy.
    +P+ put out up to 499 ft-lbs ! They are no way a wimp round. The 9mm also has a noise intimidation factor, they are loud and were designed that way on purpose.
    Now of course you compare it to the 45 acp 200 gr +P it's lighter. The 200 +P 45 load puts out 489 ft-lbs of energy. The 185 up to 534 ft-lbs ! There are hotter loads like Corbon, Double Tap and Buffalo Bore as well. At the same time the 230 gr FMJ standard load puts out between 356-405 ft-lbs depending on it's velocity. It's pretty much on par with standard and some +P 9mm loads. The thing with the 45 is your throwing a much heavier bullet which will have more moving power. The 9mm wasn't named "Parabellum" {For War} for nothing. It is useful and deadly, allows good shot placement and follow ups. I rather be armed with 18 rounds of 9mm than 7 rounds of 45 acp. Now the perfect answer is the Glock 21 or XD 45 which both hold a total of 14 rounds ! I'll take thaat over a 1911 anyday. The 45 just has the size and punch that other rounds don't. It only takes one hit with a 45 in the right place, where sometimes it takes two with the 9mm. I repeat, sometimes. A single 9mm to the head will put down anyone ! To the heart same thing. The arguement goes back and forth, do you like speed or heft ? That's why I like the 200 gr +P loads they are a little of both.
    rdpG19 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I'm a 1911 .45 guy at heart but I buy then trade off a 9mm from time to time & really don't know why I don't like 9mm's more than what I do. 9's are a good soild defence round that come in just about any kind "package" one would want micro, subcompact, compact & full size, single stack, double stack, plastic, aluminum or steel frames.
    One can easily find cheap 9mm range ammo or high perfromence street loads.
    9mm is still the nato standard.
    But most times I'm packing a 1911 .45acp.
    Must be a confidence thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Tried .45acp. Never took a shine to big, and slow.
    Big and Slow, ***, are you kidding me! Tell that to all the guys who carried the .45 in battle. Wow, first time I ever heard someone say that!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links