Anyone else ever have issues with Winchester White Box?

This is a discussion on Anyone else ever have issues with Winchester White Box? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the range last weekend with my XD9 subcompact and a 100 round box of WWB I bought the previous weekend. I've shot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone else ever have issues with Winchester White Box?

I went to the range last weekend with my XD9 subcompact and a 100 round box of WWB I bought the previous weekend. I've shot over 2,000 rounds of it in the past year, and have never had a problem up until now. With this box I ended up having 5 or 6 rounds (mostly in the first magazine) that wouldn't cycle it.

I was worried about a squib, so I ended up field stripping it the first couple times to make sure the barrel was clear. After the second time doing that, I ended up just locking it back and shining my flashlight in the front of the barrel.

Although I typically find a lot of little tan? (colored blind) specks from shooting WWB, the first magazine already had my gun filled with them.

I'm guessing I just got a bad batch, but I figured their tolerances would be a little tighter than that. I am glad they weren't hotter by the same amount.

This was the first time I was shooting it at 75ft (standing) and discovered it shoots a bit higher than at 45ft, which is what I usually shoot at. It's an outdoor range and there's nothing closer, which I would like.

50 Rounds at 75ft. I'm guessing 3 went high.
    IMG_20111029_113656.jpg
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

I went out Saturday & took a couple of their "new" design boxes, out of 100rds. I had 3 that did not fire with a strike to the primer. I did not try to shoot them again.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

tts
    I can confirm this happening recently in my Glock 19. Might be a bad batch.

The box I shot was their "new" design box.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Ex Member
    They are the dirtiest ammo made, and not real accurate, but they do go BANG!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I haven't used much of it (mostly I reload) but what I used worked fine.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    The box I shot was their "new" design box.
    Same here. The price was right but I won't be buying it again.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I shot some about a month ago and didn't have any problems, but who knows.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

No problems with them ever, last I shot of WWB box from them was purchased about 2 weeks ago, it was 9mm; I haven't shot their 40S&W ammo in about a month.

Glock Certified Armorer

Yeeks. I bought a bunch recently, but have not had the time to run 'em through. Now I will say that I used to shoot WWB in my M&P (357 SIG). That left all sorts of brass flakes about the landscape when I would strip and clean. Lawman and UMC aren't so bad. Never had a FTF yet, but have heard in the past that WWB 9mm and 45 had some troubles.

Personally, I've never had any problem with WWB. I've shot at least a thousand rounds of it, and have a few mags loaded with it stashed around. I have no concerns, but I guess it all depends on the current supply....

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I've probably shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 15,000 (fifteen thousand, not a typo) rounds of WWB 9x19 in the last year; likely significantly more, but that's the minimum number, for-certain. The last time I shot was two weekends ago, and I went through about 500 rounds.

I've had a few light-strikes, but the vast majority of that was before I learned that proper cleaning of a striker-fired pistol typically does not involve lubing the striker area. :embarrassed: User error.

I did not load into the magazine one round which was obviously problematic. More than likely, that round would have failed-to-chamber, even if I'd gotten it to feed in my magazine.

If I had to put a number on it, I'd say that total failures, for whatever reason (even for user-induced), is less than one half of one percent.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    With this box I ended up having 5 or 6 rounds (mostly in the first magazine) that wouldn't cycle it.
    Please excuse my newbiness, OP and all of you experienced. What actually happens when you say it didn't cycle? What happens to the bullet and the slide, etc? I don't know the lingo so I can't picture what you mean. (I am familiar with a squib description)
    Thanks for your patience with me.
    Stay safe.
    Paula
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

TSiWRX: I've had a few light-strikes, but the vast majority of that was before I learned that proper cleaning of a striker-fired pistol typically does not involve lubing the striker area. :embarrassed: User error.

I learn something new every single day from this forum. Now, to retain that knowledge....
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

I usually don't shoot WWB but have the last few times I went to the range (good price at wally world right now). The 100 box of 45's and 9's. No problems with either one. I have a new box of 100's sitting in my room right now i'll be shooting next week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links