CC ammo questions

CC ammo questions

This is a discussion on CC ammo questions within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, there are so many choices so please edumacate me. I am looking for two calibers for CC weapon: 1. .40 2. 9mm From all ...

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member Array Huzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    470

    CC ammo questions

    OK, there are so many choices so please edumacate me. I am looking for two calibers for CC weapon:
    1. .40
    2. 9mm

    From all that I read I got as far as hollow point and that's about where it started to get confusing. There are so many choices out there that I don't even know where to begin. I read through some of the posts here and some got more confusing then others. So please bear with me and either edumacate me or direct me towards a good resource of edumacation.

    Thanks


  2. #2
    Member Array Leadslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Fla
    Posts
    253
    Personally of the 2 calibers, I'd pick the .40

    As far as carrying ammo is concerned, don't get too worried about

    it. Buy a couple different brands of hollow point ammo from different

    "Major" manufaturers (Winchester, Remington etc) and see which

    ones function best and most accurately in your pistol. Training and

    shot placement will beat the "magic" bullet concept everytime.

    Good Luck,

    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array CLASS3NH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bob from Southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,667
    40 S&W is a good choice, but don't underestmate the 9MM with the right bullet.
    You could go with Winchester White box in either caliber for target use.
    I prefer (or sell at retail level at a store) for protection
    9MM Speer Gold Dots, Hornady TAP, Federal Hydrashok all have various bullet weights and should be tried for true reliability before Carry.
    40 S&W you'll find a lot of good stuff out there as well, in the above manufacturers, and the same goes with trying several brands before you Carry.
    FMJ ammo works almost all the time 99.999%, but if it doesn't, the trouble is usaually found in the feed ramp, mags etc..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

  4. #4
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,423
    With PISTOL ammo for Carry Purposes I would Buy & Try focusing on whatever Major Brand hollow point feeds & functions most reliably...making sure that you can hit consistently with it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadslinger View Post
    Buy a couple different brands of hollow point ammo from different "Major" manufaturers (Winchester, Remington etc) and see which ones function best and most accurately in your pistol.
    Yes. This is the most important thing. You can have the "best" and most-powerful "man-stopper" of a bullet in your gun, but if it jams in your gun, then it's worthless.

    What works for me: Pick the top five or six bullets that seem good, based on a couple of reviews from respected publications, a review or two from the U.S. FBI or Justice Dept., then a couple reviews from respected long-time shooters on a good firearms-related forum or two. Then, get a couple/three boxes of 50rds of each, for flogging at the next range session. Keep a log, noting performance impressions and every failure to feed, eject or otherwise cycle properly. Out of a half-dozen range sessions and ~500-1000 rounds of a given ammo, you will then know for a fact which the "best" round is for your specific gun, how tightly you hold the gun, what degree of kick/recoil/flame you can handle, etc.

    Of course, that takes awhile. But, then, any concealed-carry gun needs to be well-vetted and come out of the "ringer" unscathed.

    You're always facing one question: Is it reliable enough to bet your life on? If not, keep searching for one or two generally-available rounds that work well in your gun.

    That said ...
    • 9mm is generally known to cycle more-reliably than 40cal, though it certainly depends on the gun & ammo in question. I believe this is primarily due to the range of angles at which a 9mm bullet can enter the leade of a barrel, which is over a much greater range than a short/blunt bullet shape.
    • Remington Golden Saber JHP 124gr +P has worked well for me in every 9mm semi-auto pistol I've shot, generally better and more reliably than any other ammo I have tried.
    • Federal HydraShok JHP 115gr also seems to work very well. The 9BP series is one of the most relied upon ammuntion rounds there is, in the 9mm chambering (including law enforcement).
    • CorBon, Black Hills and some others certainly have hotter loads, but you may or may not find them to work really well in your gun. I've fought with the CorBon JHP 115gr +P's not cycling at all, in my Browning BDM 9mm. They're off the list, for this gun.
    • Winchester Silver Tips seem to have a good following, as do Speer Gold Dots. Again, seek out ammo that works well in your gun.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 14th, 2006 at 09:57 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  6. #6
    Member Array Huzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    With PISTOL ammo for Carry Purposes I would Buy & Try focusing on whatever Major Brand hollow point feeds & functions most reliably...making sure that you can hit consistently with it.
    Thanks guys. To quickly cover couple points: .40 is going to be my primary carry gun and the 9mm might get carried depending on how I'm dressed (the 9mm is slimmer).

    In regards to the ammo, what I'm looking for is the types probably more then anything. Are there different flavours of HP ammo? I'm not asking about the bullet weight or brand as much as actual types.

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Member Array Huzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Yes. This is the most important thing. You can have the "best" and most-powerful "man-stopper" of a bullet in your gun, but if it jams in your gun, then it's worthless.
    That's what I'm planning on. I usually go through 200+ rounds each time I hit the range (2~3 times a week).

    What works for me: Pick the top five or six bullets that seem good, based on a couple of reviews from respected publications, a review or two from the U.S. FBI or Justice Dept., then a couple reviews from respected long-time shooters on a good firearms-related forum or two.
    What is the best place to look for reviews? Is there a site that kind of keeps track of those when they come out?

  8. #8
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    What is the best place to look for reviews? Is there a site that kind of keeps track of those when they come out?
    I have yet to find a single, one-stop-shop type of web site that lists them all. Sadly, it takes a bit of hunting.

    From time to time, I have run across various test results and range reports from the FBI, Justice Dept or Police depts., where a dozen different rounds in a given caliber were stressed for few days in order to filter out the shine from the shinola.

    Doing a <google> search comes up with a few, if you play around with your search criteria.

    Some sources:
    • FirearmsTactical.com web site.
    • Pierce County Workshop, which can be found via Google and is a summary of ammunition selection by the Pierce Cty Sheriff's Dept in Roy, Washington.
    • Portland Wound Ballistic Report, from 2002.
    • FindArticles.com web site, among which you can find the following article: "Duty Loads: Today's Best," by Massad Ayoob, in Guns Magazine, 2002.
    • Search for the FBI's "wound ballistics seminar" reports. Good stuff.


    All of that's fine, and it can be a fun (or exasperating) exercise to filter out good/bad rounds, so long as your choice is generally available and works in your gun.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  9. #9
    Member Array Huzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I have yet to find a single, one-stop-shop type of web site that lists them all. Sadly, it takes a bit of hunting.

    From time to time, I have run across various test results and range reports from the FBI, Justice Dept or Police depts., where a dozen different rounds in a given caliber were stressed for few days in order to filter out the shine from the shinola.

    Doing a <google> search comes up with a few, if you play around with your search criteria.

    Some sources:
    • FirearmsTactical.com web site.
    • Pierce County Workshop, which can be found via Google and is a summary of ammunition selection by the Pierce Cty Sheriff's Dept in Roy, Washington.
    • Portland Wound Ballistic Report, from 2002.
    • FindArticles.com web site, among which you can find the following article: "Duty Loads: Today's Best," by Massad Ayoob, in Guns Magazine, 2002.
    • Search for the FBI's "wound ballistics seminar" reports. Good stuff.


    All of that's fine, and it can be a fun (or exasperating) exercise to filter out good/bad rounds, so long as your choice is generally available and works in your gun.
    Cool, thanks for the links. They look like good starting points. Might have to download some articles into my pda for some in flight reading (if I will be allowed to carry the pda on the plane !)

  10. #10
    Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,752
    I have been well pleased with Speer GD consistent performance...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.


    "...be water, my friend."

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Buffalo bore ammo ordering questions
    By 1911luver in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 1st, 2009, 12:26 PM
  2. Ammo Storage Cabinet Questions
    By JCook5003 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 18th, 2008, 04:27 PM
  3. Remington .357 magnum ammo questions
    By 1911luver in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 5th, 2008, 10:17 AM
  4. +P ammo questions
    By j.a.magnum in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 8th, 2008, 10:06 PM
  5. 9mm Ammo questions'
    By Hollowp84 in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 7th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Search tags for this page

best 9mm ammo massad ayoob

,

cc bullets

,

hefi

,

massad ayoob on black hills ammo

,

portlandwoundballistic

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors