Has anyone found this at their Walmart?

This is a discussion on Has anyone found this at their Walmart? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I was at Wally World getting the latest Harry Potter movie, so I had to check the ammo prices while there and this is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Has anyone found this at their Walmart?

Has anyone found this at their Walmart?

Today I was at Wally World getting the latest Harry Potter movie, so I had to check the ammo prices while there and this is what I found: FEDERAL AMMUNITION, XM855LC1 AC1, 5.56x45mm, 62 grain FMJ BALL, 420 Rounds with stripper Clips in a small ammo can. All for $149.00. I asked the sales guy if this was going to be normally stocked and he said he only had two boxes and didn't know, So I bought one of the boxes. Does anyone know if this is a normal item at W.W.?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

I don't know if it's "normal" at WM, but it's part of a massive sell off by Federal of a military contract they didn't have to fill. My local gun store has probably three to four million rounds of the stuff and I have seen it advertised by several of the mail order companies at the same price. Federal did the dame thing with a contract for 180 grain .40 S&W HST - selling most places for $19.95/50. My dealer bought three pallets of the stuff a million rounds to the pallet.

My prediction is that, with the draw down in Iraq (and it's coming in Afghanistan, as well, before too long) this is just the tip of the ammo iceberg. I predict that in a year, we'll see the same 420-round pack for under $100.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Yeah my two closest walmarts have it, noticed it when looking at the Bushmaster M4A3 they are now carrying.

Nope ... we've not yet seen a Bushmaster or the cans of ammo. We're hoping.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I don't know if it's "normal" at WM, but it's part of a massive sell off by Federal of a military contract they didn't have to fill. My local gun store has probably three to four million rounds of the stuff and I have seen it advertised by several of the mail order companies at the same price. Federal did the dame thing with a contract for 180 grain .40 S&W HST - selling most places for $19.95/50. My dealer bought three pallets of the stuff a million rounds to the pallet.

Awesome info! Thanks for the FYI. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    My prediction is that, with the draw down in Iraq (and it's coming in Afghanistan, as well, before too long) this is just the tip of the ammo iceberg. I predict that in a year, we'll see the same 420-round pack for under $100.
    I hope you're right!!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I haven't seen it at my WM either but now that I know about it, I'll be looking for it.

I wonder if Sportsman Warehouse will start carrying these items as well? I have one that's not too far from me and they seem to have a really good selection of ammo - in comparison to everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Both were available today in Enid , Okla walmart.

Michael

I just saw these same ammo cans, for the same price, at my local Albuquerque Sportsman Warehouse.

Never been a fan of the AR platform, let alone the NATO round/.223 (firm believer that any work rifle needs to be at least a .30 cal). However, if ammo does get that cheap for them, I might just have to rethink that a bit.

Sure would be nice to own a rifle that I don't have to clean as soon as I am done shooting (corrosive ammo - 7.62 x 54)
    Gunnutty likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Man, I only wish the military still carried the .45 ACP. There's some surplus I could put to use.
    Dadsnugun and JDE101 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    We've got a Bushmaster, but with a $890 price tag - nobody is touching it.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I don't know about the ammo, but seeing as my Walmart is definitely carrying Bushmasters I would assume they are going to carry bulk ammo for it too.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    We've got a Bushmaster, but with a $890 price tag - nobody is touching it.
    Same gun online at Able's is $1,004.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I just received a sale email from Midway - FBI Contract ammo. I wonder if that is the surplus that is going around, not milspec.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I also just noticed, along with the cans of 5.56mm ammo, and the bushmaster rifle, one of my walmarts is finally carrying the Federal 100 Value Pak of 9mm FMJ, its a pretty killer deal of $19.97

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links