Anyone use .45 GAP? NYSP replaced 9mm with this in 2006

This is a discussion on Anyone use .45 GAP? NYSP replaced 9mm with this in 2006 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by awoodpd13 Georgia State Patrol and Macon, GA P.D. carry .45GAP. Hummmm thats odd that would make you think that Glock is located ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Anyone use .45 GAP? NYSP replaced 9mm with this in 2006

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by awoodpd13 View Post
    Georgia State Patrol and Macon, GA P.D. carry .45GAP.
    Hummmm thats odd that would make you think that Glock is located in Georgia......Thats so weird the county HK is located in Virginia, the Sheriffs office all carry HK's.......Maryland State police carry Berreta's thats so strange.....
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mbell1968 View Post
    Way back in 2006, a NYS trooper, Andrew Speer, was killed in the line of duty by two bad guys, one carrying a .357 magnum. The trooper got off 8 rounds I believe, 4 that hit the bad guy, 2 in the torso, one in the leg, one in the foot. The bad guy was still able to walk up to the trooper after being shot and shoot him 2 additional times, killing him. The trooper used a 9mm glock 19 loaded with Speer Gold Dots, 124 grain standard pressure. This incident caused the NYSP to rethink what they were issuing to the road guys and decided to go with the .45 GAP. Anyone have a opinion on this? Anyone use the .45 GAP, and why? Don't know the exact shot placement by the trooper but obviously the higher ups thought that this was a caliber failure. Thoughts??????????? By the way, I carry a Ruger SR9 9mm loaded with Golden Sabre 124 grain so it hits home for me.
    Yeah, well in NY State Troopers, a female officer had to shoot a BG and one-shot kill. So, much for anecdotal stories.

I owned Glock 37, the full-size GAP. Great gun and round, low recoil, wicked accurate. Only reason I gave GAP up: cost of ammo got too expensive for me. It's lowered since in my area

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Am I the only one confused by this thread and the strange responses to it?
    Uhhhh, no.
    "If an awalu [freeman] should blind the eye of another awalu [freeman], they shall blind his eye"
    -Hammurabi (1792-1750 B.C.E.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    If you want a gun that's thin and shoots holds 7 rounds why not buy a 1911.
    I'm not interested in the .45 GAP (nor the .45 ACP), but to answer your question...

Maybe because...you like Glocks better? You don't want a thumb safety? You want something even smaller, like the baby Glocks? You want a DAO trigger instead of a SA trigger? You like the Glock grip angle better? You want a .45 Glock that will fit in the same holsters as your 9mm/.40/.357 Sig Glocks? etc...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The GAP is obsolete and fading into obscurity.

In a few years, you wont even be able to find reloading componets for it.

Any attempt to ressurect it, even by crooked politicians in big citys, will eventually result in failure.

Ever try to sell a GAP? Try it sometime and see how long it takes...
    While all the above is true, I cant help but think of a time when someone said the same thing about the 10mm. While I have I do not own one or desire one at this particular time, the idea is a pretty good one, and if ammo was more wide spread, or someone like Mike McNett of Double Tap adopted it as a main stay item, I could change my mind.

Back when everyone said the 10mm was dead or dying, I recognized it for what it was, long before everyone else jumped on board, and look at the resurrection of it today. It only takes a few people to turn it around, even for totally useless ideas. Case in point, look at the current trend of the many pocket light pistols being marketed today and sold to people as serious fighting guns.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    Thats true Glockman10mm, but the 10MM has something that the GAP does not. Performance.

It was simply too good to die.

I see no such future for the GAP. It neither equals or exceeds .45 ACP performance.
    Sawmilljack likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    ...even for totally useless ideas. Case in point, look at the current trend of the many pocket light pistols being marketed today and sold to people as serious fighting guns.
    Hey, I resemble that remark! At least I compensate by carrying two of 'em.

In all seriousness though, I don't see too many of the smaller "concealed carry" guns being marketed as true "fighting pistols." As a matter of fact, I think the whole concept of "fighting pistols" is somewhat silly, as no one in their right mind would go into a fight armed with nothing but a pistol (with very few exceptions for very specific circumstances).

Anyway, sorry for the tangent. Back to our regularly scheduled program...
    Sawmilljack likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I want to like the .45 GAP. If it had come out before the .40 S&W, it might have a brighter future. But I think it's doomed to the same kind of obscurity as the .357 Sig, only worse. A primarily law enforcement cartridge that has a cult following among civilians.

The .45 GAP reproduces .45 ACP ballistics out of a shorter cartridge. This could be cool, except the only company to chamber guns in the caliber is Glock, and their .45 GAP guns aren't THAT much smaller than their .45 ACP guns.

The one place where the .45 GAP shines is in the subcompact guns. .45 GAP is a more modern and efficient load than .45 ACP, and it performs better with less velocity loss out of sub-4" barrels.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I'm not interested in the .45 GAP (nor the .45 ACP), but to answer your question...

Maybe because...you like Glocks better? You don't want a thumb safety? You want something even smaller, like the baby Glocks? You want a DAO trigger instead of a SA trigger? You like the Glock grip angle better? You want a .45 Glock that will fit in the same holsters as your 9mm/.40/.357 Sig Glocks? etc...
    Well played 10thmtn........Just trying to play devils advocate. My carry gun is a G19.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post

The one place where the .45 GAP shines is in the subcompact guns. .45 GAP is a more modern and efficient load than .45 ACP, and it performs better with less velocity loss out of sub-4" barrels.
    If you compare the performance figures from Federal, the respective loads, as manufactured by them are identical.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    While the .45 GAP has never garnered much attention commercially as other designs, I think it's a round that makes as much sense as anything else out there. People like .45 caliber, people like smaller guns, people like Glock, so why not make a .45 caliber round that's smaller, attains the same ballistics as the .45acp, and can fit into a smaller handgun. Again, I think it's a round that makes as much sense as anything out there, probably just entered the scene at the wrong time. Look at the .380acp, why would anyone want a 9mm short? Don't know.....but I have one.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I want to like the .45 GAP. If it had come out before the .40 S&W, it might have a brighter future. But I think it's doomed to the same kind of obscurity as the .357 Sig, only worse. A primarily law enforcement cartridge that has a cult following among civilians.

The .45 GAP reproduces .45 ACP ballistics out of a shorter cartridge. This could be cool, except the only company to chamber guns in the caliber is Glock, and their .45 GAP guns aren't THAT much smaller than their .45 ACP guns.

I dont think 357 sig will die like the GAP

Many big agency use the 357 sig after the round was t/e

USSS
    FAM
    Virginia state
    New Mexico state
    NC state
    richmond pd

And probably a few others. I think the 357 will end up like the 38 super.
    45 gap will end up like 327 magnum.

Ya know what I have NEVER seen at Walmart?

.45 GAP.

The main reason that it is gonna die.
    chefjon likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I'm usually leery of making predictions with certainty only because the future holds so many unknowns. While it may be very likely that the .45 GAP is on its way out, it could take something as simple as the gun being used in a blockbuster movie to revitalize the round. Mark Wahlberg or whatever celebrity uses it in his next block buster and before you know it, everyone is going into a LGS & asking about that gun that Marky Mark used in that movie that they just saw.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell1968 View Post
    Way back in 2006, a NYS trooper, Andrew Speer, was killed in the line of duty by two bad guys, one carrying a .357 magnum. The trooper got off 8 rounds I believe, 4 that hit the bad guy, 2 in the torso, one in the leg, one in the foot. The bad guy was still able to walk up to the trooper after being shot and shoot him 2 additional times, killing him. The trooper used a 9mm glock 19 loaded with Speer Gold Dots, 124 grain standard pressure. This incident caused the NYSP to rethink what they were issuing to the road guys and decided to go with the .45 GAP. Anyone have a opinion on this? Anyone use the .45 GAP, and why? Don't know the exact shot placement by the trooper but obviously the higher ups thought that this was a caliber failure. Thoughts??????????? By the way, I carry a Ruger SR9 9mm loaded with Golden Sabre 124 grain so it hits home for me.
    Failures to stop rarely have much to do with caliber. Some people are just Monsters. Switching to .45 GAP I personally don't think would have drastically changed the outcome. I've seen video's of dudes walking straight through tasers, frighting the electrical current and yanking the prongs out of their skin. There are scarey people out there. Determined, scarey, strong bad people. A .45 GAP wouldn't have made the difference.

Continue to carry your 9mm with confidence. It will be just fine. Pray you never need to use it. And if you do, hit where it counts, and hope the dudes not on meth.

Ohh, and .45 GAP is pointless. I've read it's so you can have .45 caliber in 9mm framed pistols.... No need for that, IMO. Stick with .45 ACP. When I was first looking at buying my FIRST gun ever, I was looking at the Glock 38, mid-sized .45 GAP. I didn't know any better at the time.... Gladly, I went with the G30 instead and have been happy I did. I currently carry my G30, but I'm actually looking to pick up a G19 to share carry duty with the G30.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links