Anyone use .45 GAP? NYSP replaced 9mm with this in 2006

This is a discussion on Anyone use .45 GAP? NYSP replaced 9mm with this in 2006 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Way back in 2006, a NYS trooper, Andrew Speer, was killed in the line of duty by two bad guys, one carrying a .357 magnum. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Anyone use .45 GAP? NYSP replaced 9mm with this in 2006

Way back in 2006, a NYS trooper, Andrew Speer, was killed in the line of duty by two bad guys, one carrying a .357 magnum. The trooper got off 8 rounds I believe, 4 that hit the bad guy, 2 in the torso, one in the leg, one in the foot. The bad guy was still able to walk up to the trooper after being shot and shoot him 2 additional times, killing him. The trooper used a 9mm glock 19 loaded with Speer Gold Dots, 124 grain standard pressure. This incident caused the NYSP to rethink what they were issuing to the road guys and decided to go with the .45 GAP. Anyone have a opinion on this? Anyone use the .45 GAP, and why? Don't know the exact shot placement by the trooper but obviously the higher ups thought that this was a caliber failure. Thoughts??????????? By the way, I carry a Ruger SR9 9mm loaded with Golden Sabre 124 grain so it hits home for me.

FLA highway patrol is also going to this caliber

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell1968 View Post
    Way back in 2006, a NYS trooper, Andrew Speer, was killed in the line of duty by two bad guys, one carrying a .357 magnum. The trooper got off 8 rounds I believe, 4 that hit the bad guy, 2 in the torso, one in the leg, one in the foot. The bad guy was still able to walk up to the trooper after being shot and shoot him 2 additional times, killing him. The trooper used a 9mm glock 19 loaded with Speer Gold Dots, 124 grain standard pressure. This incident caused the NYSP to rethink what they were issuing to the road guys and decided to go with the .45 GAP. Anyone have a opinion on this? Anyone use the .45 GAP, and why? Don't know the exact shot placement by the trooper but obviously the higher ups thought that this was a caliber failure. Thoughts??????????? By the way, I carry a Ruger SR9 9mm loaded with Golden Sabre 124 grain so it hits home for me.
    I have used the .45 GAP. I think this is an answer to a to a question nobody was asking.

This caliber also had more to do with GLOCKS pride than practicailty. If you look on all the .40's glock produces you will not find it stamped .40 S&W, same thing with .357 SIG, and .45 ACP.
    Glock stamps .40, .357, and .45 Auto instead of the actual caliber of the gun. IMHO GLOCKS feelings were hurt that .40 S&W and .357 SIG where actually successfully cartridges and they had nothing. Therefore, they bought into this caliber which nobody except a handful of people use. Glock dosn't want any other manufactures name on their guns. Even though these are the actual calibers of the gun. HOwever, all .45 GAP pistol glock produces are stamped GAP.

I have 2 NYSP troopers on my wifes side of the family, and a good friend that is also a trooper with NYSP. I've asked them about this IIRC they do not carry this caliber it is an option not a requirement.

Why would you make a fairly large Semi-Auto in a uncommon caliber that holds 10 rounds, then turn around and make a G21 SF in a Caliber that many people love that holds more BB's. I still cannot figure this out.

I can only think of two Manufactures that chamber a gun in this caliber.

GLOCK
    Springfield (not even sure if they are currently producing guns in this caliber).

Ammo is hard to find
    Wide selection not available.
    This caliber will probably be dead in 10 years.

I think .45 GAP would have been good idea just about 30 years ago.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I agree that the .45 GAP is simply a designer round to feed Glock's monstrous ego.

Federal's LE HST data sheets show the following:

.45 GAP: 890 fps / 404 ft lbs
    .45 ACP: 890 fps / 404 ft lbs
    .45 ACP +P: 950 fps / 461 ft lbs

http://le.atk.com/general/federalpro...cticalhst.aspx

Someone PLEASE show me a reason for the .45 GAP's existence, other than what Rob posted. Personally, any agency the moves to this round is doing it because Glock has bribed them to do so by heavily discounting the pistol(s) chambered for it - even heavier that they already do to LE agencies.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

in life, you can answer a lot of questions by "following the money". Glock is trying to keep this failed cartridge alive by basically giving these agencies the GAP pistols for a stupidly low price. In today's economy, these cash strapped agencies are just doing what they have to do to survive financially. Has nothing to do with the cartridge, as almost everyone agrees that the GAP was a round answering
    a question no one was asking. To my knowledge, Glock is the only pistol manufacturer still offering the GAP. Springfield dropped the GAP from their XD line long ago.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Not to harp on you Zonker...But sell an agency a pistol really cheap, then sell the ammo at rediculous prices that dosn't make sense if an agency is "cash strapped".
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

If you absolutely want to have a pistol that fires a round that is .45 in diameter, but that is no larger than a 9mm or .40 pistol, then the .45 GAP makes a whole lotta sense.

You can have a baby Glock in 9mm (11 rounds), .40 (10 rounds), or .45 GAP (7 rounds) - all are exactly the same size. Not true of the .45 ACP Glocks - they are larger guns.

The NYSP went to the .45 GAP long before the current economy - so that argument holds zero merit.

For the record, I do not own nor have ever fired the .45 GAP.

IMHO, the "failure" of this round to catch on commercially has more to do with the cult of the .45 ACP, than it has to do with any failings of the .45 GAP cartridge itself. Simply put, it is a .45 that fits in the frame of a 9mm/.40. If you must have a .45, the .45 GAP makes sense to me.
    Warmon, skysoldier29 and Hoganbeg like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    If you absolutely want to have a pistol that fires a round that is .45 in diameter, but that is no larger than a 9mm or .40 pistol, then the .45 GAP makes a whole lotta sense.

You can have a baby Glock in 9mm (11 rounds), .40 (10 rounds), or .45 GAP (7 rounds) - all are exactly the same size. Not true of the .45 ACP Glocks - they are larger guns.

The NYSP went to the .45 GAP long before the current economy - so that argument holds zero merit.

IMHO, the "failure" of this round to catch on commercially has more to do with the cult of the .45 ACP, than it has to do with any failings of the .45 GAP cartridge itself. Simply put, it is a .45 that fits in the frame of a 9mm/.40. If you must have a .45, the .45 GAP makes sense to me.
    Couldnt agree more...and it makes at least as much sense as the 357 sig.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Or the .40 S&W IMHO.

Glock gave the guns to the NYSP for publicity.

When a company offers you guns, leather, mags and so forth for FREE the admin says "OK" and deals with it later.

It's a short .45ACP round. An overpriced, hard to find short .45ACP round. Yippee. Yawn.
    Francis and boomer1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

If you want a gun that's thin and shoots holds 7 rounds why not buy a 1911.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Couldn't disagree more. 45acp is not the "hammer of Thor". 45 acp is thunder... 357Sig is lightning.

Am I the only one confused by this thread and the strange responses to it?
    marcclarke and Guest1 like this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Georgia State Patrol and Macon, GA P.D. carry .45GAP.
    LEOSA Qualified: Semi-auto and revolver.

Senior Moderator
    The GAP is obsolete and fading into obscurity.

In a few years, you wont even be able to find reloading componets for it.

Any attempt to ressurect it, even by crooked politicians in big citys, will eventually result in failure.

Ever try to sell a GAP? Try it sometime and see how long it takes...
    hogdaddy likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links