TEST - 9mm JHPs through Bone Simulant into Gel

This is a discussion on TEST - 9mm JHPs through Bone Simulant into Gel within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by HotGuns When in doubt shoot till the threat ceases. Doing that covers it all. Pentration,Momentum,Weight,Speed,Tumbling or not tumbling, good or bad, it ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: test - 9mm JHPs through Bone Simulant into Gel

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    When in doubt shoot till the threat ceases.

Doing that covers it all.

Pentration,Momentum,Weight,Speed,Tumbling or not tumbling, good or bad, it takes care of all of the questions.
    Agreed.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    The bone simulant plate had a rubberized "skin" over it. Did you even read the report?

I have read of many JHPs that fail to expand in actual shootings. This testing protocol might have more bearing on actual shootings than shooting into bare gel covered with nothing more than clothing layers. Note how much of the vitals are covered by protectant bone.

If nothing else, it is certainly an interesting result.
    In looking at the report the "Bone Plate" looked to be a 12" X 12" plate of material with a rubberized coating. This may, and may is a stretch, simluate the human skull. The human body does not have contiguous covering of bone aka excoskeleton. This is similar to testing a car door or autoglass with with jello (Ballastic Gelatin), all of those test show a similar results with deeper penetration and less expansion. We, the PD in Mexifornia, just tested rounds through bullet resistance glass rated for 44 mag. for our new range. 5.56mm green tips or duty and 9mm +P+ all penetrated the glass but with little or no expansion (penetration test only, no jello). Now the ME photos of the after action reports I've seen clearly shows the Ranger 9mm +P+ 127 gr and Ranger 40SW 165 gr expanded stars in the BGs. Real Life not tests!

So for this testing group to state "In any event, the bullets that failed in these tests will not perform better against living bone." reprehensible!

Now if Zombies develop exoskeletons we'll need to go to a "Green Tip" type ammo!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    When in doubt shoot till the threat ceases.

Doing that covers it all.

Pentration,Momentum,Weight,Speed,Tumbling or not tumbling, good or bad, it takes care of all of the questions.
    I agree.

But - it is still a good idea to test your duty loads and see what they might do in actual use.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I agree.

But - it is still a good idea to test your duty loads and see what they might do in actual use.
    Exactly.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Love to see that test done with the .45acp shooting a 4 inch barrel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links