Potent New Buffalo Bore .38 Special Loading - Page 5

Potent New Buffalo Bore .38 Special Loading

This is a discussion on Potent New Buffalo Bore .38 Special Loading within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Majorlk Over the years I have seen several alloy/aluminum J-frames crack from high-pressure rounds. You couldn't give me one of the new ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Potent New Buffalo Bore .38 Special Loading

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Over the years I have seen several alloy/aluminum J-frames crack from high-pressure rounds. You couldn't give me one of the new generation of allow S&W J-frames. FWIW, I have never liked any of the S&W .38/.357 J-frames. I much prefer the all-steel Colts (no longer manufactured, unfortunately) - plus they hold SIX rounds, not five.

Others may (and probably do) feel differently.
    I'm with you on this. I have J-Frame Smith & Wesson revolvers including the ever-popular Model 642 but prefer the Colt Detective Special for use as a carry gun when a small snub is called for.

I tested some Buffalo Bore +P 158 grain ammunition over the chronograph a while back but used a 2-inch Smith & Wesson Model 10 rather than a J-Frame for the task. I'm a little uncertain about shooting it in the aluminum-framed Model 642.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Originally Posted by Majorlk
    Over the years I have seen several alloy/aluminum J-frames crack from high-pressure rounds. You couldn't give me one of the new generation of allow S&W J-frames. FWIW, I have never liked any of the S&W .38/.357 J-frames. I much prefer the all-steel Colts (no longer manufactured, unfortunately) - plus they hold SIX rounds, not five.

Others may (and probably do) feel differently.
    I believe this is a big reason why many calibers are downloaded today compared to what they were in thirty to forty years ago. The firearms back then were steel. I remember when the alloy 357's came out some manufacturers were warning not to use them for everyday target shooting with full powered loads. My father received one of these warning through the department he worked for. Seems the newer handguns were made more for comfort of carry than for shooting.

Michael

The best Buffalo Bore SD round in 38 special +P

Quote Originally Posted by Pointblank View Post
    The BB standard pressure round was tested in calibrated SIM test material through 4 layers of denim and Failed. I have always considered BB to be overpriced and now I see the performance doesn't always measure up also. I'll stick with the 135gr Gold Dot Short Barrel load or Corbon DPX. They seem to work. Here's a link to the BB test:

Buffalo Bore .38 Special 158 gr Semiwadcutter Ammo test - YouTube
    Buffalo Bore part number 20A20 is a 158 grain HP semi wadcutter that is the best improvement to the venerable 158 grain FBI manstopper. It is very soft lead, has a gas check to prevent barrell leading as well. It will expand and deform significantly and yet penetrate 16" of ballistics gel out of a 2" snubby. It will move at 1000 FPS delivering over 350 ft/lbs at the muzzle. I carry this exclusively for SD in my 2" barrel .357 and wouldnt use anything else. Low flash and not quite as harsh as a full load .357. There are always different schools of thought out there...lighter faster...heavier slower. The best is heavier and faster and the BB 20A/20 does it. Of course my primary convcealed carry weapon is a Glock 36 45 ACP, but it's hard to conceal, a lot harder than the .357 snubby. IMHO, there is not a better 38+P load you can buy for saving your life or the life ofs someone you love.

Bluegrasmoose.

I think that the New BB .38 SPL outdoorsman round is a great idea, and I'm glad that BB decided to add it to their line up. As far as the BB +P 158gr SWCHP load is considered so what who care that it didn't expand, at least is was able to penetrate deep enough from the abbreviated barrel. It is quite possible that it would have expanded if it were fired from a longer barrel such as 4". One also has to remeber that BB is using a cast bullet not a swaged bullet such as those found in the Rem, Win, and Fed ammo. Therefore that particular batch of bullets that was tested by tnoutdoors9 may have been a little harder than normal.

To counter the test that was posted showing the failure of the BB 158 SWCHP here is one showing the exact opposite with the Remington version Remington Express 38 Special +P 158 Grain LHP Denim and Gel test - YouTube. Just goes to show as was said earlier, sometimes bullets fail to expand and sometimes they don't. But ultimately we want deep penetration to ensure we can reach the vitals regardless.

I've not had the opportunities that bmcgilvray has had to test the .38 SPL on various targets that presented themselves to him. So I'll take his word on it when he describes them as they happened. A lot of times they mirror exactly what I have experienced in the field while hunting. Another thing that most people don't think about is that cast bullets have become all the rage in handguns huting loads. Why do you think that is..... because they never fail to penetrate through and through leaving two holes for the animal to bleed out from. Two holes through a major organ like the heart is better than a bullet that doesn't even reach the the vital organs at all.

Here is a great stroy of what a cast bullet will do, notice the damage that was done to both lungs. RugerForum.com • View topic - ELK & THE 41 BISLEY

Cool link about the elk hunt with the .41, 336A!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Cool link about the elk hunt with the .41, 336A!
    No problem that just happened to come to mind on this subject And I miss spoke that was not the +P Buffalo Bore ammo that was tested it in the youtube video that was linked by ALAN, it was the standard velocity loading.

I agree, I wouldn't consider 19 inches a fail

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    It had 17 inches of penetration outa a 2" snubby.... Failed? Maybe not the perfect expansion and wound cavity, but I wouldn't consider it a failure either.. JMO though.

Not to mention it's a 158 gr going up against 135gr.. I'll take the heavy stuff any day.
    Granted the semiwadcutter didn't expand, but if your looking for expansion why not use the BB with the 125 grain Gold Dot hollowpoints. They expand like crazy and penetrate 12 inches plus.

I really think their powder blends really do what they claim they do. I carry the 125 grain JHP in my snubbie.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links