[School me] effective suppressor physics

This is a discussion on [School me] effective suppressor physics within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think there're two factors when figuring out how to include suppressors in my reasoning. I want to balance the noise level with the effectiveness ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: [School me] effective suppressor physics

I think there're two factors when figuring out how to include suppressors in my reasoning.

I want to balance the noise level with the effectiveness of the bullet. In a lot of ways, I expect that there's a direct trade-off between the two.

Another trade-off is between the mass of the bullet and the velocity of the bullet. So, assuming equal foot-pounds, is there a way to idealize round-choice for a suppressor? Do I want heavy bullet or a light bullet going through my suppressor? Is one quieter when it comes out? Is one more effective when it comes out? One main consideration is the speed-of-sound, I think, so I'm asking mainly despite that component.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Senior Moderator
    Since the speed of sound hovers around 1150 FPS, and the quietest loads are below the speed of sound, most being around 1050FPS, you'll want the heaviest bullet that you can shoot.

The rage right now is the .300 Blackout. It shoots a 220 grain bullet at 1050 FPS.
    Is it effective? It will shoot through a deer or a hog. Is that good enough?

It is quietest in a bolt action, but it works well in an AR also. All you need to do is change the top half and you are good.
    QKShooter likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I like my guns to go Bang! If I wanted them to go pufft, I shoot a pellet gun.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    Pellet guns wont kill deer or hogs.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Any worthwhile bullet is faster than sound, so the animal will never hear it. No deer I ever shot ducked the bullet.

OH, I get it; you don't want the game warden to hear it either...
    Hopyard likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    My game warden has one and he loves it. In some states they are legal to hunt with.

It's funny how some people seem to be a bit hostile to the concept.

Right up until they shoot one, and smile and then ask how they can own one.
    Superhouse 15 likes this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I can see how a suppressor would be very valuable on a HD weapon.

They are quite popular for varmint hunters in New Zealand, where they aren't so superstitiously regulated as here.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Since the speed of sound hovers around 1150 FPS, and the quietest loads are below the speed of sound, most being around 1050FPS, you'll want the heaviest bullet that you can shoot.

The rage right now is the .300 Blackout. It shoots a 220 grain bullet at 1050 FPS.
    Is it effective? It will shoot through a deer or a hog. Is that good enough?

It is quietest in a bolt action, but it works well in an AR also. All you need to do is change the top half and you are good.
    That was originally my thinking. Get the heaviest bullet as close to 400 m/s as possible, and then slap a suppressor onto the barrel. Now, it's my anecdotal thinking that a fast bullet tends to be louder than a heavy one (unsuppressed). I could be wildly wrong, and wanted to make sure. Does this mean that a suppressor will better suppress such a shot too? Assuming the speed of sound was off the table, is the acoustics of gas-expansion easier to suppress based on how fast the bullet comes out the barrel?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Senior Moderator
    is the acoustics of gas-expansion easier to suppress based on how fast the bullet comes out the barrel?
    A supersonic bulelt will have more gas expansion and more blast,due to the volume of powder that it uses to bring the bullet up to speed. The subsonic uses very little powder, so its a matter of efficiency.

A supersonic bullet coming out of a suppressor will still be loud due to the sonic crack that the bullet makes when it breaks the speed of sound. It'll be fairly quiet at the gun, but this will be negated by the loud crack.

A subsonic bullet can be very quiet because it does not break the speed of sound, thus there in no supersonic crack. A subsonic 220 grain bullet will be much quieter than a supersonic bullet of any weight.

Its really not about bullet weight at all, but rather the speed of which the bullet travels. There is little difference in sound of a 125 grain .30 cal bullet or a 220 grain .30 cal bullet if both are shot at a speed that is subsonic. That is why it makes sense to use the heaviest bullet for suppressed shooting, they penetrate better and they have a better ballistic coefficient, which gives them a flatter trajectory.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    How does that compare to the venerable .300 Whisper? Been thinking about getting one of those.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Yeah, that completely answers my question. Now for one more kinda pathetic one: a suppressor WILL slow a bullet somewhat, yeah?

So, I want to literally kiss up as close to 400 m/s as I can, with the heaviest bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I can see how a suppressor would be very valuable on a HD weapon.
    LOL Home defense is the only way you can legally use one for self defense! It is a federal crime to carry a suppressor around with you mounted on your ccw gun in carry mode! So you can use it in your home to keep from annoying the neighbors, but that's all.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    Now for one more kinda pathetic one: a suppressor WILL slow a bullet somewhat, yeah?
    Negative. If anything it adds a bit to it due to the fact that bullet touchs nothing and the pressure is still mounting. Its not unusual to see up t0 a 50 FPS increase.

How does that compare to the venerable .300 Whisper? Been thinking about getting one of those.
    Its pretty much the same thing. I have a few Whispers and a Blackout and they are interchangable...in my guns.

It is a federal crime to carry a suppressor around with you mounted on your ccw gun in carry mode!
    Not quite. Its a state thing. Some states are legal, and some arent. Some specifically address this and some make no mention of it. If you have the tax stamp, it may be legal if your state does not prohibit it.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    LOL Home defense is the only way you can legally use one for self defense! It is a federal crime to carry a suppressor around with you mounted on your ccw gun in carry mode! So you can use it in your home to keep from annoying the neighbors, but that's all.
    OP's info indicates he is from one of the Maritime Provinces in Canada. Our rules don't apply. I wonder if he would tell us something about what their rules are like on this business of owning and using a suppressor.
    Just curious.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Sorry, suppressors are 'prohibited' in Canada. I'm more window shopping than anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links