Do you worry??

This is a discussion on Do you worry?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You get into a defensive fire situation and suddenly are incapacitated by some Nimrod with a Taser????...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Do you worry??

Do you worry??

You get into a defensive fire situation and suddenly are
    incapacitated by some Nimrod with a Taser????
    U R wat U Eat................

2. Remove Ads

No can't think of a reason to worry about that. More worried I will be too slow on the draw and get shot. Who carries a taser? Never heard of too many bad guys carring a taser. But lots of bad guys carry a weapon.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    No, but I guess I could add it to my list of worries.

But I'd rather not.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What? Me worry?

If you know where that line came from, your age is showing. Worrying never solved anything. It indicates a lack of preparedness. I worry more about my worn-out knees than some guy armed with a Taser.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I would agree that I've never heard of bad guys carrying tasers.

However, the taser may be quicker to incapacitate than a firearm.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Senior Moderator
    I guess that depends on if you are really truly referring to a Taser brand taser of just an cheapo stun gun (so many people get those mixed up).

Lots of criminals have used stun guns to gain compliance or .. well.. stun but I have yet to hear of any criminal using a true Traser. Probably because tasers are quite expensive (as much as or more than a gun), you need to have a background check in order to buy one and the non-LEO brands look like something out of Star Trek and are non-intimidating (or at least not as intimidating as a gun). Refill cartridges are also very expensive though the device itself can be used as a stun gun when the cartridge is spent.

True tasers can incapacitate but stun guns can be fought through if you have the will and strength to do it. According to those who have been stunned with stun guns it hurts like heck in the place you are being stunned (I got stunned with a low-voltage training knife that was designed around the stun-gun concept) and your nervous system tries to get away from it (like if you accidentally burn yourself) but just like you CAN override your nervous system and hold your hand over a flame you CAN fight through the stun of a stun gun.

Taser advertises that their products override your ability to continue to fight. Now, I've seen plenty of videos where people have fought through being tased so I don't know all of the science behind that.

Do I worry about either? Absolutely not.

I think the top worry of my day right now is that we are out of eggs and what I'm going to make my kid for breakfast.

PS... Now, if you are referring to whether or not I worry about being tased when the authorities arrive and there's still a lot of confusion and question as to what went on and whether or not some over-zealous officer decides to Tase me.... Nope. I see no reason why I should be tased if I am non-threatening and compliant with LEO demands. And even if I do get tased... oh well... at least I'm alive to get tased.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I wonder in how many of those cases where someone fought off a Taser were in actuality a failure of the barbs to penetrate flesh.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I wonder in how many of those cases where someone fought off a Taser were in actuality a failure of the barbs to penetrate flesh.
    I've wondered the same thing.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I think that when at the point of drawing my weapon the worry over a teaser will be about #175 down on my list. Unless the BG is holding one of course.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

For you who do not know the "What Me Worry" kid.......

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...edENeumann.jpg

As has been said if both barbs make contact the Taser most likely will ncapacitate the tasee.

They do not have to hit flesh as there is about a 2" zone that the electrical charge will travel through clothing to the skin's surface.

If complete contact is not made then the loud clicking sound will be heard and it's time to go to plan "B".

Nothing mechanical is a guarantee all the time.

OS

P.S. Not worried about someone else having a taser but I tey to be situationally aware.
    Last edited by Old School; November 21st, 2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: grammer
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Not sure ho reliable they are in the cold north climates with the kind of clothing we often wear tho.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

I'll add that to my list of things to worry about right along side Global Warming.
    Majorlk, bmcgilvray and msgt/ret like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I've wondered the same thing.
    Nat Geo had a show on "super humans" and this one dude took both barbs to the chest (had no shirt on)and was able to swipe them out before he hit the ground. I don't worry about it though, not too many taser totin' thugs out there.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I`d whack the nimrod with the taser first thing!.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Not sure ho reliable they are in the cold north climates with the kind of clothing we often wear tho.
    They make cartridges with longer length probes specifically for this.

I've rode the lightning, if they get a good hit, you're down until they decide to let you up or you break a line. I don't worry about it for the reason Lima mentions. In addition, each cartridge has a unique ID and the purchaser is recorded. Hundreds of paper discs with the ID printed on them are emitted when the cartridge is fired.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links