Exotic ammo vs the jury - Page 3

Exotic ammo vs the jury

This is a discussion on Exotic ammo vs the jury within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't give a hoot what it cost, as long as the ammo box has the words "tactical" & "zombie" printed on it somewhere ... ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Exotic ammo vs the jury

I don't give a hoot what it cost, as long as the ammo box has the words "tactical" & "zombie" printed on it somewhere...THAT'S what I'm carrying!

As for the jury? That's my lawyer's job. As for the shootee surviving? That job belongs to the ER Doc. I'm just gonna' do my level best to make sure I GET to the jury. And make the ER Doc's job as...difficult as possible.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Angry Worrying about what a jury will do will get you killed

If your primary concerns is "what will the jury will think", you shouldn't be carrying.
    This unfortunate mind set, fostered on us by the liberal left, does nothing for you when it comes time to defend yourself.
    Your only thought is to stop the BG from harming you. your family or an innocent individual. And this should only come if you can't find a way to "break off" the confrontation (as per the NYS
    penal code, where I happen to live.)
    Tying up your thought as to how a jury will react to this "weapon discharge" really slows you down with feelings of doubt to the LEAGAL outcome.

DON'T DO IT. At that time, your only purpose in your life is to not end up on the floor bleeding out.

As long as you're involved in a "justified" shooting, that's all you need to know. BTW, I hate funerals or prison terms for the good guys.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I won't concern myself with jurists's thoughts should I need to pull the trigger, but I can easily see where a prosecuter could sway the jury by pointing out the defendent chose to use "Kill 'em dead; let God sort them out" ammo. Even if the defendant's lawyer makes a point of proving that the Kill 'em ammo is no more powerful that WWB target ammo, once the seed is planted, it's hard to remove.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Reality in the US is such that even if you say things like "I'll carry my zombie..." "The lawyer is suppose to take care of the jury", etc. it doesn't work that way all the time. A friend, mentor, gun carrier and a lawyer of some national recognition told me to carry what the police carry or similar and not to carry something with zombie, etc on it. If in a shooting, you will go to a grand jury that is NOT made up of your peers. If there is any doubt or you have a DA that is out for a name, the use of something called "Zombie" will go against you. The DA, if political, will spin it all against you. A typical grand jury legal cost, that you will have to pay, is a minimum if $18k and goes up from there.
    boscobeans likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce272 View Post
    If your primary concerns is "what will the jury will think", you shouldn't be carrying.
    IMO, it's appreciation for possibilities, real impacts of a PC world in which we live. It's not about having it as a primary concern.

IIRC, the "Black Talon" ammo essentially got killed due to the spin on the name and effectiveness. People were screaming that such lethal ammo shouldn't be lawful. Same with AR/AK rifles, with the screaming about them being "assault" weapons, when essentially only the caliber is equally lethal to a shot from their full-auto counterparts.

Point is, the effects of PC mentality are real, here and there. Ignoring it doesn't help. Attempting to appreciate the effects and taking simple steps to mitigate it, though, might.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 21st, 2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: clarification, spelling
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Exotic ammo vs the jury

+1 I agree with ccw9mm. Not to consider the what if is dangerous in our society. Especially when it's pretty simple to just select a different round.

I only carry rounds that the Police depts are using. It's just one less worry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Happypuppy; November 21st, 2012 at 05:01 PM.

Ex Member
    Find out what your LOCAL police use and use that for SD. Hard for anyone to argue against that in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post
    ...if you say things like "I'll carry my zombie..." "The lawyer is suppose to take care of the jury", etc. it doesn't work that way all the time. A friend, mentor, gun carrier and a lawyer of some national recognition told me to carry what the police carry or similar and not to carry something with zombie, etc on it...
    It was a JOKE! Stated so completely over-the-top ignorantly that I had HOPED my sarcasm would be glaringly obvious. I'm a Gold Dot, XTP guy. (Though I DO have some old "Black Talon" ammo in my stores somewhere. And yes, the lawyer IS supposed to deal with the jury. That's what he's PAID to do. But I'm not gonna' hand the prosecutor a free-throw by showing-up in court wearing camo fatigues & a CCW badge!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WillyNilly View Post
    What do you think of ammo like RBCD or Extreme Shock?

What will the jury think?

I was watching demos of RBCD ammo and they're pretty devastating but are we supposed to stop the BG and not kill 'em?

I read so many articles on self defense that I'm conflicted, kill or not kill. Duh.
    I think the exotic ammo would have the same effect on the jury just like any other person.

Did the whole jury threaten you?

Hah! Exactly a year ago to the minute I posted in this thread. That's gotta be some sort of record.

I'm still just as unconcerned about ammo choices as last year though. Some things never change.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Not what, but how

It's not the name of the ammunition used, it's how you used it, and how your case is presented. If you use a generic full metal jacket ball ammo and it takes you 3+ shots to "stop the threat" it would weaken your case more than using premium self defense ammo. The key is only using your firearm when justified, and getting defense council that can prove you were justified. An possible exception would be the zombie killer ammuntion. I think Hornady used poor taste when they introduced this ammuniton. They already had ammuition on the market, (Critical Defense, Personal Defense, XTP), that would stop the same "zombie". If you feel the need to carry zombie ammuniton in your handgun it may change the way a jury would look at your personality.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I guess my Black Talons are now a collectors item, but I still use Ranger SXT that has been since renamed Ranger T-Series. I'll do what ever it takes to defend myself and family and worry about what the jury says after the fact and will/would careless if my "victim" is there or not there to testify.

I just went to the RBCD website to look at some of their ammo. They list the ballistics for each round. This is what they have listed for their 45ACP:
    45 ACP 90 gr. TFSP 2036 fps / 828 flbs
    45 ACP 115 gr. TFSP 1650 fps / 700 flbs

Are you kidding? First, 90gr? Second, do I need a 2000+ FPS ACP round?

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Slabs of clay don't generally commit assault so what conclusion may really be drawn from the video?
    I'm likewise amused by folks "testing" their ammo by shooting into water. In my LFI class, someone mentioned how well their ammo expanded in water. Ayoob's response was, "Great! If the ocean 'messes' [substitute appropriate strong verb here] with you, you're all set."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Re: Exotic ammo vs the jury

Local police dept here carries golden saber ammo, but I have a couple of guns that really don't care for that ammo. I was carrying gold dots in everything for a good while, but lately I've been one a pdx1 kick. All of my guns have done well with it, and I personally seem to do a bit better with it too whether its a true performance difference, or just something going on between my ears. I certainly wouldnt feel bad about going back to gold dots though. And, I do want to run some of the underwood ammo and see how well I get along with it. I suspect it will have considerably more muzzle flash than the pdx1 though.

sent via iCarry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links