Once Fired Brass

This is a discussion on Once Fired Brass within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Guys, Sorry if what I'm about to ask has been hashed before. I did a search and didn't come up w/ much. My question ...

Thread: Once Fired Brass

Once Fired Brass

Hey Guys,

Sorry if what I'm about to ask has been hashed before. I did a search and didn't come up w/ much. My question is how to you feel about buying once fired brass (specifically 9mm & 45 auto). It certainly would help keep the cost down especially when you never seem to find 100% of the brass fired out of an auto. Cheyenne Brass currently has 9mm listed for $36.00 on the 1000. 45 auto is $62.00 on the 1000. Has anybody used these guys?

2. Remove Ads

If it's once fired, Not a bad price. Be sure to look the casing over after cleaned ; )PS You can load em many times
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i have sold 10's of thousands or 38spl, 9, 40 and 45 over the years
    typically 9 & 40 is 2 cents a round plus shipping. figure $25.00/1000
    38 and 45acp is like lobster...market price generally between $45 and 55/1000

most range ammo will have some junk included. stuff from a subgun or GAP or SPP cases
    Starline is the best 'new' brass pricing.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

No problem. I have my best luck with Federal in .45 ACP., PMC in .40 S&W and Blazer Brass/Speer/Lawman in 9MM.
    In 9 watch out for Berdan primed cases and occasionally stuff from full autos, the rims are a mess.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Thanks guys. A couple of more questions. Do they tend to sort them by head stamp or is it a hodge podge? I know that it really shouldn't matter for range ammo but I guess I'm kinda picky that way. My other question is what's the deal between large and small primed 45 auto cases. Thanks in advance.

I have received it with 90% all the same head stamp and some where you were lucky to find 100 of the same brand. The best lots I received came when I split a bunch with a guy that said he got them from a police range. I assume that's because the departments buy contract lots so all qualifying and practice for the year are the same manufacture.
    My experience with .45 is large pistol primers only.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    For general range work, there's no need to separate brass by headstamp. If you intend to shoot ultra accurate matches, then you might consider it. The only "separating" I do these days is solely to weed out the junk brands (CBC for me).

I've reloaded both small and large primer .45s, and other than the inconvenience of changing the hand primer stem (no big deal), it makes no difference in performance. Some don't want to bother with it; some don't care.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have been buying once-fired brass for years. The only problem I have had was with some Winchester brass cases not having a deep enough cut in the extraction groove to fit in the shell plate on my Dillon. I haven't had such a problem with Winchester nickel cases.

I just ordered 2k of Speer nickel cases for $56/k from BrassManBrass (includes shipping) because most of the brass at my range has been stepped on. I currently have about 15k in various pistol and rifle cartridges.

Everyone else has answered your questions so I won't bother repeating them. Just a word of advice, though. If you buy military .223/5.56 or .308/7.62 cases, pay the slight extra to get cases that have already been deprimed and the primer pocket crimp removed. Removing the crimp is a real drudge! I learned the hard way. :)
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks. I guess the implied task is to ask if I really care about head stamps. If you guys don't mind please recommend some of the folks you have bought from.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeW View Post
    Thanks. I guess the implied task is to ask if I really care about head stamps. If you guys don't mind please recommend some of the folks you have bought from.
    As has been said, matching headstamps is only important for competition. The reason is there are slight volume differences between manufacturers. While small, it can have an effect upon pressure, and therefore velocity and potentially accuracy. For range work, it isn't worth the effort to separate.

As for where I buy, of late I have been using BrassManBrass. Southern Belle Brass is another good place. If single headstamps are important, most sellers have single headstamp lots, as well as mixed.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I just loaded 300 rounds of .45 from Cheyenne Brass this weekend. No issues whatsoever.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Just in case you hadn't already noticed this, the $62/1k is for small primer pocket cases, which is not typical for .45 ACP. The $80/1k for large primer cases is more typical of prices I have found elsewhere.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Once- fired brass

Quote Originally Posted by LukeW View Post
    Hey Guys,

Sorry if what I'm about to ask has been hashed before. I did a search and didn't come up w/ much. My question is how to you feel about buying once fired brass (specifically 9mm & 45 auto). It certainly would help keep the cost down especially when you never seem to find 100% of the brass fired out of an auto. Cheyenne Brass currently has 9mm listed for $36.00 on the 1000. 45 auto is $62.00 on the 1000. Has anybody used these guys?
    Hi, this is Cheyenne Brass responding. The responses to your questions so far are generally accurate. The price for the 45 ACP at $62/1000 is for small primer pocket 45, not large primer pockets. The brass has been decapped/deprimed by machine in order to seperate out large and small primers. We are now finding it near impossible to get all large primer or all small primer without having the cases machine sorted. Large primer pocket cases are more expensive ($88/1000), but we expect the price differential to narrow in coming weeks, i.e. small primer cases will be increasing in price. Hope this helps.

Also anyone out there have access to a couple hundred thousand rounds of 40 S&W cases?

CBI

Links