Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo - Page 2

Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo

This is a discussion on Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PoLockNLoad Current Inventory 5.56: 9,710 rounds including 1,830 in loaded mags. 9mm: 13,930 rounds, boxed, plus loaded mags. .45ACP: 4,200 rounds of ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo

Quote Originally Posted by PoLockNLoad View Post
    Current Inventory

5.56: 9,710 rounds including 1,830 in loaded mags.

9mm: 13,930 rounds, boxed, plus loaded mags.

.45ACP: 4,200 rounds of boxed ball plus aprox. 500 hundred specialty rounds.

.22 RF: Approx 16,000 rounds

12 Ga: 300 boxed rounds of LE133 00 plus 425 rounds of practice loads.
    Geeezze, I hope you never have a fire at your house or one round goes off in a box to start a chain-reaction because SHTF will become a reality!!

"Breaking News: America now has only 49 states and a big freakin' hole in the earth's crust - magma gushing skyward to 30,000 feet - run for your lives"

Quote Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post
    I really don't think you should "stockpile" beyond a few hundred rounds for SHTF situations. I doubt you would need to shoot that many people and besides you might have to change location.
    If you can.. why not? Barter comes to mind. Things aren't getting cheaper, and stockpiling ammo seems to be a reasonable thing to do in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Just curious, what is the shelf life of ammo? And I thought I was doing good when I had 200 rounds "stock piled". I have a horrible problem, whenever I have ammo, I go to the range.
    fwiw: last week I shot ammo that has been on my shelf for almost 25 years, they all went bang just like they are supposed to

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I try to keep a running inventory of about 4000 to 5000 total rounds, between all calibers and gauges, and because I worked in food services for so long I tend to rotate inventory -- you know, first-in/first-out. Space limits me somewhat, but I do manage to rotate both standard FMJ and JHP stuff as well.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by PoLockNLoad View Post
    Current Inventory

5.56: 9,710 rounds including 1,830 in loaded mags.

9mm: 13,930 rounds, boxed, plus loaded mags.

.45ACP: 4,200 rounds of boxed ball plus aprox. 500 hundred specialty rounds.

.22 RF: Approx 16,000 rounds

12 Ga: 300 boxed rounds of LE133 00 plus 425 rounds of practice loads.

Wait for sales/free shipping and buy it by the case. MUCH cheaper that way. We paid $99 per 1K rounds of 115gr FMJ 9mm
    Is the house next door to you for sale?

I keep at least 500 rounds of 9mm, 100 rounds of 357mm, 100 rounds of 380mm. Buying more when ever I can afford it. Get it now before the prices go even higher or the government passes a law stopping all ammo sales.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

WPA (Wolf) 9mm 115grn FMJ 50rd Box

500rds: 79.50 + shipping.

1000rds-159.00+ shipping

There you go.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    If you can.. why not? Barter comes to mind. Things aren't getting cheaper, and stockpiling ammo seems to be a reasonable thing to do in my opinion.
    I like the way you think "Rock". Barter is a very good idea, if (when) the economy collapses money will be worthless, gold ans silver will hold some value but the things that will be hold the most value will be food, guns and ammo.

I also think stockpiling more than a few thousand rounds is overkill. In a SHTF scenario there will very definitely be "battlefield pick-up" available, for both weapons and ammo. Thats my reasoning for sticking to the most popular/common calibers...9mm....38...223...7.62x39
    Just my 2 cent opinion.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To tell you the truth IMHO you are better off learning to reload and stockpiling powder, primers,and bullet casting materials.
    8 pounds of powder will reload approximately 11,200 to 14,000 rounds $96.00
    15,000 wolf small pistol primers $255.00
    300 pounds of lead wheel weights $100.00
    So for around $500.00 you can produce around 14,000 rounds of ammo,You can also reload and store it,If I went bullet crazy for a week I could probably reload at least 15,000 rounds and probably double that depending on how much time I devoted to it
    DefConGun and bmcgilvray like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Great stockpile ,,,, I think we are all envious,,,,

Heck I do go to keep 500 rounds of 38spl, 9mm, 40 each on hand.

I'm at about 200 ish in 9mm. And 2 digit quantities for 40 S&W, 7.62x39, and 30.06. In due time i'll be increasing my stock pile. I just have to stop buying firearms first and direct the money to ammo.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    To tell you the truth IMHO you are better off learning to reload and stockpiling powder, primers,and bullet casting materials.
    8 pounds of powder will reload approximately 11,200 to 14,000 rounds $96.00
    15,000 wolf small pistol primers $255.00
    300 pounds of lead wheel weights $100.00
    So for around $500.00 you can produce around 14,000 rounds of ammo,You can also reload and store it,If I went bullet crazy for a week I could probably reload at least 15,000 rounds and probably double that depending on how much time I devoted to it
    I also stockpile reloading supplies. I have many thousand deprimed cleaned and sized cases stored away.
    Now for my question on stockpiling powder. I know for a fact that 50 year old loaded cartridges will preform when needed. Will 50 year old powder in its original container last that long?
    Supposedly black powder has an infinite shelf life. I am under the impression that compared to loaded ammo smokeless powder in its original container has a shelf life much shorter.
    Will the powder retain its viability longer as loaded ammo or have I been under the wrong impression?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Geeezze, I hope you never have a fire at your house or one round goes off in a box to start a chain-reaction because SHTF will become a reality!!

"Breaking News: America now has only 49 states and a big freakin' hole in the earth's crust - magma gushing skyward to 30,000 feet - run for your lives"
    Without being in a confined area (ie chamber & barrel) a round going off from fire will act like a small firecracker. The only fear of fire I have is from loss of usable ammo.

Try pulling a bullet sometime and pile the powder on a piece of steel or concrete, then drop a match on it. You'll get a little fizzle and smoke, no flash, no "Bang".

The main reason we have so much is because we (family) pool money to buy in bulk and then shoot at our leisure (~5K round per year) for pennies compared to what it would cost buying it a box at a time.

The secondary effect is that we have "stockpiles" that can be used during shortages, price fluctuations, SHTF, or to barter.

The firearm collection isn't much (compared to the walk-in vaults I've seen), it was ~110-120 rifles & handguns back in the early 90's. Since bitten by the NFA bug the things we don't shoot often have been sold off to help fund things we really enjoy shooting.

All this is going to do a lot of good when things go nuclear or biological. Five hundred rounds should be well enough for each gun. Ur in survival mode not attack. The thing is to lay low as possible when shtf. Get food, supplies, those items will run out faster then ammo. Another thing medical supplies such as antibiotics for sickness. Have a plan for the long run.

How much I have stockpiled is really none of anyone's business, and certainly not for publication on a public forum.

That said, I have sufficient of each caliber to satisfy my needs, as well as sufficient reloading supplies to double all the centerfire ammo inventory with a few days at the reloading bench. My reloading output runs about 350-400 rounds/hr.
    Last edited by Majorlk; November 29th, 2011 at 11:11 PM.
    papahawk likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I like to have a bit on hand, but I try and keep it reasonable. My local walmart has 9mm UMC 250 packs for 55 bucks, so I grab some of those occasionally, and I like to keep a few hundred rounds of HP's on hand as well.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links