Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo - Page 3

Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo

This is a discussion on Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PoLockNLoad Current Inventory 5.56: 9,710 rounds including 1,830 in loaded mags. 9mm: 13,930 rounds, boxed, plus loaded mags. .45ACP: 4,200 rounds of ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo

Quote Originally Posted by PoLockNLoad View Post
    Current Inventory

5.56: 9,710 rounds including 1,830 in loaded mags.

9mm: 13,930 rounds, boxed, plus loaded mags.

.45ACP: 4,200 rounds of boxed ball plus aprox. 500 hundred specialty rounds.

.22 RF: Approx 16,000 rounds

12 Ga: 300 boxed rounds of LE133 00 plus 425 rounds of practice loads.

Wait for sales/free shipping and buy it by the case. MUCH cheaper that way. We paid $99 per 1K rounds of 115gr FMJ 9mm
    where did you pay 99 bucks per 1K rounds??

With the ups and downs of market prices I like to keep my storage room stocked

500-1000 rounds of 9mm NATO FMJ 115 gr. Replaced when down to 500 rounds
    300-400 rounds premium self defense hollow point 9mm assorted 115 to-147
    300 rounds 45 ACP hard ball (see note)*
    800 rounds 20 gauge assorted 6-8 shot
    100 rounds 12 gauge assorted buckshot
    1000 rounds of hunting rifle ammo, and loading supplies for 5000 more rounds
    2000 rounds 22 LR

I carry only this year’s ammo, and use older ammo for target practice.

Military surplus 45 hardball ammo left over from Korea war that still shots great. *

As to how long ammo will last? I think it’s more up to the owner than anything else. Keep it in a cool dry environment and it may last longer than you do.

My thinking is I want self defense ammo on hand to last me through an immediate situation.
    Should things go downhill for a long time? I want to have hunting ammo available to last me a lifetime.

Don't forget to get a little extra SD ammo for safe keeping.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

When the crap hits, ALL My ammo is SD ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by PoLockNLoad View Post
    Current Inventory

5.56: 9,710 rounds including 1,830 in loaded mags.

9mm: 13,930 rounds, boxed, plus loaded mags.

.45ACP: 4,200 rounds of boxed ball plus aprox. 500 hundred specialty rounds.

.22 RF: Approx 16,000 rounds

12 Ga: 300 boxed rounds of LE133 00 plus 425 rounds of practice loads.

Wait for sales/free shipping and buy it by the case. MUCH cheaper that way. We paid $99 per 1K rounds of 115gr FMJ 9mm
    I am not that familar with Florida. Please PM me your GPS coordinates

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    As has been said already, stock piling is good for times of limited availability for hunting, defense and barter. You never know how long a shortage will last depending on it's cause (who or what). There was once talk that the Gvmt was trying to require future powders to be made degradable for a short shelf life (2-3 years). Anyone hear the progress on that one?

When asked what I want for my birthday or Christmas gifts I tell my immediate family AMMO! I tell them it's something I can use and enjoy and every little bit helps. Besides that it beats the heck out of a new tie, slippers or underwear! It also cuts the agonizing of them trying to figure out the perfect gift for Dad or Papa. Each year I get a little ammo and it is appreciated.
    NavyAirdale likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I keep trying to start a stockpile, but I have this habit of going to the range every week..... I guess I should start tucking away a box every time I buy ammo. My biggest problem is having the extra money to invest....

One man's "stockpile" is another's "decent supply"!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I've always heard that for bartering, one should stock up on Nacho Cheese Doritos and Pepsi! As far as shelf life of ammo, I know that each and every round of ammo that I have works - because I have personally test fired each round . . .

Stockpiling ammo is one thing, proper storage is another. Dry and cool are paramount for long term utility.

YMMV,
    boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I agree that acquiring a nice reserve make a lot of sense for potential shortages and the like, unless you have a nicely fortified location or two :-)

My inventory is: 9mm @ 600 rounds quality JHP

9mm 1000 rounds FMJ

5.56/.223 2,000 rounds

.308 300 rounds

.22 2,000 rounds

Quote Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post
    I really don't think you should "stockpile" beyond a few hundred rounds for SHTF situations. I doubt you would need to shoot that many people and besides you might have to change location.
    I store ammo in any location I might be in. Keeping it in one spot is a bad tactical decision for theft or fire. For me, what if I kept everything in FL, and then the MAN decides interstate transit of guns or weapons is no good anymore. I'm going to NC without anything? Guess again. Although this has been disputed numerous times, I also own several weapons that were face-to-face, no paperwork sales. I'm not trusting the MAN not to review my FFL purchases and decide I am not worthy.
    .22 and 9mm are the easiest and cheapest to stock pile on. Georgia Arms sells a can of 500 147 gr 9mm for $145, and I've emptied several cans now and have replaced them with other calibers. .22 is $75/1000 for good stuff.
    .40, .45, 30-06, 7.62 and 5.56 are next. There's some smoking deals on loose rifle rounds 500 to a box. I probably have a dozen of these parked around. Walmart also gets a fair share of my ammo money, especially .357 Remington HP.

I think one way to save money (even with prices going up ) is buy a bunch..... shoot some here, there, etc. And when there is a really good sale, replace how much you've shot up to that point, and keep doing it. I think I've saved a lot on ammo by doing that, and I'm never out of ammo to go shoot if I want to.

As to type, whatever you figure you want and will need.
    gryphonz3 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I hadn't had any "stockpile" up until Cabela's had a sale on their Herter's brand 7.62x39. (Made by Tula) It was $3.79 a box, (it was cheaper than buying their bulk packs + free shipping online so I didn't even have to drive to the store) I think I ended up buying around 600 rounds...I fired off a few mags today but when I counted I was up to about 1,200 rounds. 9mm is down to around 350 rounds, but I've got 400 rounds in the mail of a few types/brands.

Not a stockpile by many definitions but other than having a .22 and a 20 gauge growing up having more than a few boxes of ammo is new to me. I plan on buying anything on sale, assuming I have some extra cash......

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    I store ammo in any location I might be in. Keeping it in one spot is a bad tactical decision for theft or fire. For me, what if I kept everything in FL, and then the MAN decides interstate transit of guns or weapons is no good anymore. I'm going to NC without anything? Guess again. Although this has been disputed numerous times, I also own several weapons that were face-to-face, no paperwork sales. I'm not trusting the MAN not to review my FFL purchases and decide I am not worthy.
    I know right, I mean who DOESN'T have hidden storage bunkers and safe houses at secret locations that are stored with all the ammo you will ever need?
    Last edited by IAm_Not_Lost; December 5th, 2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: grammar
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links