Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo - Page 4

Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo

This is a discussion on Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to be adding a few hundred rounds to mine this year as well... .38 special and 9mm......

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo

I'm going to be adding a few hundred rounds to mine this year as well... .38 special and 9mm...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I think it depends on how many 9mms you have and how many shooters in the household. Also, in a SHTF scenario, I think you'd be outgunned having a 9mm. Handguns will be a second resort. I emphasize my inventory and money on rifle rounds (5.56 for AR and 7.62 for bolt action). Since I don't stock a lot in handgun ammo, I can afford to keep premium JHP. I also consider the scenario that I might have to leave my place in a hurry and would first pack up mostly rifle rounds for the weight, space, and time allowed.

Oh, I recently shot some 5.56 (WCC) I had for over 25 years. All shot fine at the range. Stored them in ammo cans with dessicant. I'm slowly starting to replace my old stock though as ammo prices and availability seem to be better than last year.

I actually reload more than I shoot! I find it relaxing, allows me to focus and enjoy the quiet. That means I have more than enough of each caliber that I shoot. 9mm, .40, 30-06, .45.

I have also purchased a ton of 22LR for those rifles, and I just bought a .223 (Bushmaster Varminter) so I am starting to reload with for that now. I haven't counted, but I have TONS of ammo. My wife is frustrated with the space it takes up.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I have stockpiled 9mm ammo.

Ammunition supplies on hand are adequate for throwing a "block party" in the event of a societal breakdown.

Even with ammunition supplies on hand I'm another who is more into gathering and stowing components than I am concerned about loaded ammunition.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    I think I have a new hero!
    I'm comming to your house when the zombies start appearing....
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

A wise man has a good stash. The stuff keeps well and holds value. And when the time comes you need it then it will be hard to find.

So who sells ammo by the case or larger?

Edit:
    Whoops; found it in post #2:

"ammoman.com." "SGAmmo, Ammunition To Go and other bulk sellers for good prices"

I have a little over 2,000 rounds of 9mm, .45ACP, .38/.357, .380 and .30-30. Not including my .22 ammo. All are in a few ammo cans so when it does hit the fan...and I do believe it will, I can grab those toss them in my Jeep and be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    There's plenty of stories floating around on this forum from members saying they have shot ammo from WWII and didn't have any problems whatsoever. If its properly stored, ammo has a very long shelf-life. Like GM said, store it in dry place and it'll probably outlast you. ;-)

I must confess, I'm having me some stockpiling envy over here on my end. I've been wanting to store up some ammo but really haven't had the funds to do it. For the time being, I've been buying a brick of .22 LR every few weeks. Its not much but I reason it beats not doing anything at all.

IMO, I'd really like to take advantage of that Federal HST government over run ammo if I had the funds to do so. $20 for a box of 50 quality JHPs is a great deal and I would definitely spend $400 to get 1,000 rounds of it.
    This is a great way to do it, it all adds up, and after awhile, you've got more than you think you do!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

PoLockNLoad is my hero,,,,, also,,,,,

I normally try to keep 2 to 3 hundred rounds
    of 22lr, 22mag, 9mm, 38spl, 357mag, 40, 44spl, 44mag,
    356win,,,,, few 32lc, 20guage, 12guage each on hand,,,,,
    but maybe 2000+ rounds total. I could reload maybe
    1500 to 3000 more rounds of spent assorted brass.

Quote Originally Posted by PoLockNLoad View Post
    Current Inventory

5.56: 9,710 rounds including 1,830 in loaded mags.
    <snip>
    Nice troll.

VIP Member
    Everyone should have at least 1,000 rounds for each caliber. You should also have a secure and dry place to store it.

Quote Originally Posted by 97tbird View Post
    specifically for a SHTF scenario
    Please define what SHTF scenario you fear. As far as I know there is no SHTF scenario for which ammunition stockpiles are useful. I'd really like to know what it is, in case I need to stockpile some myself.

The good stuff will keep I picked up a rather large amount of 30.06 150gr in 1978 for my M1. It is old Military boxed up in 1950. Every time I have taken some out to use in my m1 or 1903 they have work perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by PoLockNLoad View Post
    Current Inventory

5.56: 9,710 rounds including 1,830 in loaded mags.

9mm: 13,930 rounds, boxed, plus loaded mags.

.45ACP: 4,200 rounds of boxed ball plus aprox. 500 hundred specialty rounds.

.22 RF: Approx 16,000 rounds

12 Ga: 300 boxed rounds of LE133 00 plus 425 rounds of practice loads.

Wait for sales/free shipping and buy it by the case. MUCH cheaper that way. We paid $99 per 1K rounds of 115gr FMJ 9mm
    He's ready!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links