Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo - Page 5

Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo

This is a discussion on Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bullshark Nice troll. Troll? How does your opinion of my post have anything to do with the topic of this thread? I ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo

Quote Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
    Nice troll.
    Troll? How does your opinion of my post have anything to do with the topic of this thread?

I go to several MG shoots a year (2,500-3,000 rounds a pop), and train every few months in between (700-1,000 rounds). If I didn't buy in bulk I'd go broke paying for 50rnd boxes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
    Please define what SHTF scenario you fear. As far as I know there is no SHTF scenario for which ammunition stockpiles are useful. I'd really like to know what it is, in case I need to stockpile some myself.
    I don't get it either. I stock pile because I'm a bit OCD, and I like to have ammo on hand to shoot. No SHFT planning. Besides, I live in the burbs. If, say, the power grid goes down permanently, i'm hosed. The die off begins in 3 - 5 days due to a lack of water. If you are stockpiling thousands of rounds (read: hundreds of pounds) of ammo, I hope you are stockpiling thousands of gallons of water and pallets of foodstuffs, because if you aren't, you are either going to die of dehydration /starvation, or just take several hundred rounds with you when you go off in search of water and food.

what other possible "SHFT" scenario is there in which you *need* thousands of rounds of ammo?

C'mon, just admit it - we stockpile because we can, and in our own arrested development way, we enjoy it.

PEF (16k+ rounds .22, about 2k rounds .38/.357, and 1k rounds .44 mag - and it's really heavy and staying put).

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I don't get it either. I stock pile because I'm a bit OCD, and I like to have ammo on hand to shoot. No SHFT planning. Besides, I live in the burbs. If, say, the power grid goes down permanently, i'm hosed. The die off begins in 3 - 5 days due to a lack of water. If you are stockpiling thousands of rounds (read: hundreds of pounds) of ammo, I hope you are stockpiling thousands of gallons of water and pallets of foodstuffs, because if you aren't, you are either going to die of dehydration /starvation, or just take several hundred rounds with you when you go off in search of water and food.

what other possible "SHFT" scenario is there in which you *need* thousands of rounds of ammo?

C'mon, just admit it - we stockpile because we can, and in our own arrested development way, we enjoy it.

PEF (16k+ rounds .22, about 2k rounds .38/.357, and 1k rounds .44 mag - and it's really heavy and staying put).
    I tend to agree with you. If I was going to stockpile any ammo, it would be for the carbine. My suggestion would be to take some of the ammo money and invest in a couple of Havahart traps. That would give you the opportunity to trap a food supply source. As long as the rivers, creeks, and streams continue to flow and the rain continues to fall; the only people who should die from dehydration are the ones who think that water either comes from a faucet or a jug at the supermarket. (Well, that and folks who built in the middle of the Mojave)

It won't be comfortable, but anyone with rudimentary survival skills who doesn't panic should be able to survive most scenarios. The trick is getting away from the population centers where the animals amongst us will quickly show their true selves.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I have a thousand or more rounds of factory ammo (Social) for each pistol caliber. About 1500 rounds of .223. Just received a large shipment of Ranger T 127Gr +P+ (1000 rounds) and additional Ranger T for 40S&W and 45ACP. The shelves are well stocked and components to reload several 1000 of each pistol caliber.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I have a thousand or more rounds of factory ammo (Social) for each pistol caliber. About 1500 rounds of .223. Just received a large shipment of Ranger T 127Gr +P+ (1000 rounds) and additional Ranger T for 40S&W and 45ACP. The shelves are well stocked and components to reload several 1000 of each pistol caliber.
    ^^^This. I keep a fixed number of rounds of commercial ammo, and keep supplies on hand to handload enough ammo to keep in practice. Since I can handload as much ammo as I like for practice, I don't feel the need to keep huge stockpiles of commercial ammo. This saves money and space.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links