Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo

This is a discussion on Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to start stockpiling 9mm ammo (as a start, other calibers to follow) specifically for a SHTF scenario and am wondering what most ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo

Thoughts on stockpiling 9mm ammo

I am going to start stockpiling 9mm ammo (as a start, other calibers to follow) specifically for a SHTF scenario and am wondering what most people store. I would love to have the funds for the premium JHP that I carry daily, but that really is not affordable as I want to keep at least 500 to 1k of rounds. So, should I just pick up 5 to 10 boxes of WWB, or equivalent, or spend a little more and get some of the the "lesser" hollow points? Thanks for your comments!!
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Master Yoda

Member of NRA, GOA, SAF, NAGR, CCDL

2. Remove Ads

I think in a shtf situation a bullet will do the job no matter hollow point or fmj. Of course we don't know what it will be like when it happens but I myself stockpile what ever shoots through my gun. I scored a good deal on a wolf bulk pack a couple of days ago that consist of 500 round DS. 223, 500 rounds 7.62x39, and 500 9mm for $299 shipped to my door....no tax no shipping.....ammoman.com.....I don't know if he still has this because I think it was a black Friday special.

Look at SGAmmo, Ammunition To Go and other bulk sellers for good prices. If you have access to well stocked gun stores within 100 miles, check with them for deals. One of my local stores bought 3 million rounds of government contract 180 gr Federal HST (.40 S&W) and was selling it for $19.95/50. Needless to say, I bought a large supply of it.

I handload, so all my FMJ are my handloads. JHP is all commercial.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Current Inventory

5.56: 9,710 rounds including 1,830 in loaded mags.

9mm: 13,930 rounds, boxed, plus loaded mags.

.45ACP: 4,200 rounds of boxed ball plus aprox. 500 hundred specialty rounds.

.22 RF: Approx 16,000 rounds

12 Ga: 300 boxed rounds of LE133 00 plus 425 rounds of practice loads.

Wait for sales/free shipping and buy it by the case. MUCH cheaper that way. We paid $99 per 1K rounds of 115gr FMJ 9mm
    Last edited by PoLockNLoad; November 28th, 2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Just picked up another 1K 9mm not 10K
    hrufrdr1 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoLockNLoad View Post
    Current Inventory

9mm: 22,930 rounds, boxed, plus loaded mags.

Wait for sales/free shipping and buy it by the case. MUCH cheaper that way.
    I think I have a new hero!
    Eagleks, GoPackman and JerryMac like this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

i like ammunition2go myself but like polocknload said just wait for sales and buy what you can when you can... make sure your weapons can handle whatever you buy and dont just save it... shoot it lol
    Semper Fi

Current Inventory

Wait for sales/free shipping and buy it by the case. MUCH cheaper that way. We paid $99 per 1K rounds of 115gr FMJ 9mm
    Just curious, what is the shelf life of ammo? And I thought I was doing good when I had 200 rounds "stock piled". I have a horrible problem, whenever I have ammo, I go to the range.

most of the stuff gets cycled, probably average age is 5 years. shelf life? umm..... I've fired some target loads my uncle reloaded back in the 60's and it still held great groups. As long as its cool and dry its probably good for 40+ years.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Just curious, what is the shelf life of ammo? And I thought I was doing good when I had 200 rounds "stock piled". I have a horrible problem, whenever I have ammo, I go to the range.
    If you store the ammo in a dry place it will probably last longer than you
    smolck and mook012 like this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    A minimum of a case (500 rounds) of defensive HP, & a minimum of 3 cases of ball ammo - preferably NATO loads. That's my opinion.

I second the suggestion for SGAmmo. They've got decent price breaks for 2 or more cases with reasonable shipping prices for multiple case lots.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Originally Posted by PoLockNLoad
    Current Inventory

9mm: 22,930 rounds, boxed, plus loaded mags.

Wait for sales/free shipping and buy it by the case. MUCH cheaper that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    I think I have a new hero!

I think most of us do, Gunny!

Party's at PoLockNLoad's on judgement day!!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    There's plenty of stories floating around on this forum from members saying they have shot ammo from WWII and didn't have any problems whatsoever. If its properly stored, ammo has a very long shelf-life. Like GM said, store it in dry place and it'll probably outlast you. ;-)

I must confess, I'm having me some stockpiling envy over here on my end. I've been wanting to store up some ammo but really haven't had the funds to do it. For the time being, I've been buying a brick of .22 LR every few weeks. Its not much but I reason it beats not doing anything at all.

IMO, I'd really like to take advantage of that Federal HST government over run ammo if I had the funds to do so. $20 for a box of 50 quality JHPs is a great deal and I would definitely spend $400 to get 1,000 rounds of it.

Current Inventory

I am already in awe and I may be asking something that will just make me feel more inferior. What does the weapon inventory look like?
    JerryMac likes this.

I really don't think you should "stockpile" beyond a few hundred rounds for SHTF situations. I doubt you would need to shoot that many people and besides you might have to change location.

But shortages, special "sin" taxes and just plain panic buying are good reasons to store ammo, if you want to be able to continue with your hobby. And again only a limited number of JHPs are really needed, as in enough to assure the weapon is continuing to function with that particular ammo.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post
    I really don't think you should "stockpile" beyond a few hundred rounds for SHTF situations. I doubt you would need to shoot that many people and besides you might have to change location.

But shortages, special "sin" taxes and just plain panic buying are good reasons to store ammo, if you want to be able to continue with your hobby. And again only a limited number of JHPs are really needed, as in enough to assure the weapon is continuing to function with that particular ammo.
    Great points. Prices will be crazy, assuming we still have anything that resembles our current economy. It is a way to hedge your assets in that you're getting in before pricing and availability goes crazy.

Something else that may be considered when thinking of SHTF scenarios is that just because you have a stock pile, no one or nothing says you have to have it all in one location. Who's to say that you wouldn't have some at home as well as having some in a remote location that you have made plans on using contingent upon circumstances. You may also want to keep some back up ammo in your car just in case you need it.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that just because you have 1,000 rounds, it doesn't mean you're planning on shooting 1,000 people. It just means you want to have resources available to you at your disposal. Ammo could also be used for bartering so not all of your ammo is going to necessarily even be shot by you, it could be used for trading, etc.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links