Hydra Shock Ammo, Opinions?

This is a discussion on Hydra Shock Ammo, Opinions? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm People are still made out of the same stuff. It will kill inflict damage as well today as it did yesterday. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Hydra Shock Ammo, Opinions?

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    People are still made out of the same stuff. It will kill inflict damage as well today as it did yesterday.
    Really? The internet keeps telling me that humans are getting harder and harder to kill, I hear animals are too. Nowadays I only feel comfortable hunting deer with a .375 H&H.

Hydra-Shoks will do the job I'm sure, may be that newer HP's work better, but who knows, just go with the good deal.
    Majorlk likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

2. Remove Ads

It's not that Hydra-Shok won't put holes in people...but they'll put smaller holes in people and continue on. I'd be more concerned about over penetration. When we tested several different rounds into ballistic gel the HS clogged up consistently using heavy clothing, but even denim was enough for it to act like FMJ ammo.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    On the bright side when it clogs with unsterilized materials and drags them through the wound cavity maybe they will help spread infection.

Michael
    All hollow points drag material through the wound cavity. If the hollow point plugs, most of the material will remain in the hollow point cavity rather than in the wound tract.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    It's not that Hydra-Shok won't put holes in people...but they'll put smaller holes in people and continue on. I'd be more concerned about over penetration. When we tested several different rounds into ballistic gel the HS clogged up consistently using heavy clothing, but even denim was enough for it to act like FMJ ammo.
    Agreed.

The reason Hydra-Shok Two (HST) was developed was because of the poor performance of the original Hydra-Shok rounds. A 9mm JHP which plugs and acts like a FMJ will retain enough energy to wound someone standing behind your target. This is the main reason why I consider consistent expansion to be so important with 9mm, as regular 9mm FMJ along with clogged JHPs will easily penetrate through more than one person.

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Agreed.

The reason Hydra-Shok Two (HST) was developed was because of the poor performance of the original Hydra-Shok rounds. A 9mm JHP which plugs and acts like a FMJ will retain enough energy to wound someone standing behind your target. This is the main reason why I consider consistent expansion to be so important with 9mm, as regular 9mm FMJ along with clogged JHPs will easily penetrate through more than one person.
    Glad for the clarification because from the way it was sounding, I was thinking that the clogging would slow it down and as a result, it would lack penetration.

Thanks.

I would not wanna get shot by it.... buy them all if it is a deal.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    I would not wanna get shot by it.... buy them all if it is a deal.
    Agreed.

VIP Member
    My Agency still issues Hydra-Shok as our duty ammo, in 9mm. It isn't the newest, and there are better bullet designs out there, but it is high quality, accurate, dependable ammunition. If you can pick it up cheap, I say go for it.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    I would not wanna get shot by it....
    I hate this argument...

I don't want to get shot with ANYTHING, but if I had a choice....

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    On the bright side when it clogs with unsterilized materials and drags them through the wound cavity maybe they will help spread infection.

Michael
    true, but i want them dead now. not next week...

want some real fun... put a large magnum primer in the tip...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    I personally had to put down an animal few years ago with a .45 Hydro-Shock and it wouldn't do it, even with a head shot. The rest of the .45 mag was loaded with Hornady's and you don't want to know how bad that stuff really is...needless to say, the Hornady is what I now carry.
    I had to put a deer down that had been hit by an auto... One shot to the neck with 9mm and it collapsed.
    When hunting one time, I’ve shot deer in the head with my hunting 270 Winchester rifle and it flop around for a minute or more.

This ammo was the mainstay of the LEO and Federal community for over a decade.. It worked great then and it works great today.. Both my duty and off duty Glock are loaded with it right now.. But, I am replacing it with the newer HST stuff soon.

I still have about 300 rounds of 124 +p+ Hydroshock. It is not in my carry guns, but is part of the SHTF stockpile. It's not the latest and greatest, but it sure beats the hell out of having no ammo and needing to pistol whip an assailant :-)

the good old Hydra-Shok ! They worked well 20 years ago and they still do ! I use them in 9mm and 45 acp and never had a complaint. They do tend to fragment sometimes but they do their job in putting a BG down ! If they were all I could get I would be happy !

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

sgb
    Tech has moved on significantly. Hydra shock more often than not mimics ball in real life shootings.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I still have fifteen rounds of hydra-shok .38's from about fifteen years ago. I carry them in my LCR from time to time, and feel very well equipped. However, I will probably shoot them up next time I'm at the range. I am now carrying GD short barrel loads in the LCR when I carry it in my coat pocket.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links