Hydra Shock Ammo, Opinions? - Page 3

Hydra Shock Ammo, Opinions?

This is a discussion on Hydra Shock Ammo, Opinions? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm People are still made out of the same stuff. It will kill inflict damage as well today as it did yesterday. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Hydra Shock Ammo, Opinions?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    People are still made out of the same stuff. It will kill inflict damage as well today as it did yesterday.
    Yeah, like it never worked before? I just picked up a box to try in my 6906. It was the SD rounds Wm had on the shelf, so that's what I got. If I put anything where it needs to go, I expect it will do the job.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I am confused?
    As I said in another post, I remember a gun mag article that tested this round when it first came out. The point was that the post in the center would prevent it from clogging up. Maybe I should get rid of what I have and move on to the newer ammo out there.I have it in my .380 and my 9mm.

Hydro-Shok is old and out dated. Please send it to me for recycling. No charge.

I carry it in my guns. If it plugs no matter it still makes a .45 hole. I read an article about over penetration. The article stated the bullet did not have enough energy when it exited to present a danger. I wish I knew where I saw that.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Went to a local gun show yesterday and a guy was selling 9mm Hydra Shocks for the same price as FMJ, so I picked up a few boxes.

Is it still viable as SD ammo, or has technology moved on?
    Shoot them in the central nervous system or they heart and you will be fine.

Rather than fret about if your ammo is good enough, ask if you are.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Love the Hydra Shocks the .45 acp's anyway! Always very accurate in my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    Technology has moved on...It's not a bad round...but the HST is the newer version. What they found was that when shot through heavy clothing (winter coats) the nose cone plugs up and it won't expand like it should. In the HST they removed the cone in the hollowpoint and cut expansion grooves which provides reliable expansion through all barriers in the FBI protocol.
    People hardly ever have heavy clothing on their face.
    kerberos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
    People hardly ever have heavy clothing on their face.
    And that, is the most intelligent answer to date. Hard to do, but it works all the time.
    Last edited by bruce272; January 12th, 2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Really poor typing
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

"There are a lot of people who pick a load without adequately researching the ammo they trust their life on. The Federal Hydra-Shock is one such example. It was the whiz-bang bullet of its time, but has since been eclipsed by many other bullet designs. The principal weakness of that round are its lack of expansion after passing through clothing."

In .357 use the Hydra Shoks, and in the 9mm the HST's. However, at the price of FMJ"s, how could you go wrong ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links