Speer Gold Dot LE Ammo

This is a discussion on Speer Gold Dot LE Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an opportunity to purchase some Speer Gold Dot LE ammo in 40 cal, either 165 or 180 gr, that is very inexpensive compared ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AZ Hawk

Thread: Speer Gold Dot LE Ammo

Speer Gold Dot LE Ammo

I have an opportunity to purchase some Speer Gold Dot LE ammo in 40 cal, either 165 or 180 gr, that is very inexpensive compared to the stuff for "civilian" or SD use. The LE ammo comes in 50 rd. boxes vs. the usual 20 rd. box. Being new to the site, I don't know if I'm allowed to post any prices, so I won't.

My question is: Is the LE ammo different from the "civilian" SD ammo? If so, how?

Thanks for helping a noob out.
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GoPackman View Post
    I have an opportunity to purchase some Speer Gold Dot LE ammo in 40 cal, either 165 or 180 gr, that is very inexpensive compared to the stuff for "civilian" or SD use. The LE ammo comes in 50 rd. boxes vs. the usual 20 rd. box. Being new to the site, I don't know if I'm allowed to post any prices, so I won't.

My question is: Is the LE ammo different from the "civilian" SD ammo? If so, how?

Thanks for helping a noob out.
    First, welcome to the forums!

Second, what is the price of these boxes of Gold Dots? I only ask because I know of a few VERY good deals on Federal HST in .40 S&W.

Third, the LE ammo is the same as the civilian ammo, the only differences being the number of rounds in the box and the price point.

Fourth, I suggest giving this thread a read: Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums

Fifth, most members of this forum will tell you to go with the heaviest weight of bullet in a given caliber as heavier bullets will generally penetrate better than their lighter counterparts.

Hope that helps.
    Eaglebeak likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

First of all, welcome to the forum! Regarding you ammunition question, I would say go ahead with the purchase. In my opinion, Speer Gold Dots are the best jacketed hollow point (JHP) out there. Others may disagree, however, choosing ammunition is a whole other subject. As far as posting pricing, not only is it welcomed, but, encouraged. I don't think there is a difference between "civillian" ammunition and LE ammunition other than the label on the box and quantity. I personally use 180gr Gold Dot .40's, which I usually see at my local gun shop in boxes with a quantity of 50 as well as 20. The box of 50 usually sells for $38 and the box of 20 usually sells for $24. I hope this helped.

Thanks for the help guys. There's a local place (in Milwaukee) that mainly is for LE but also most things sells to the private sector. They have LE Gold Dots for $29/box 50 rd. They also have HST's for $27/box 50 rd. But just looking looking around at some other posts here, someone said to take a look at SGAmmo. I did, and they have some really good prices on both but then there are shipping fees (that I haven't worked out yet) to figure in.

A little off topic, SGAmmo has some great pricing on some Federal Match .308 ammo in 175gr.
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the help guys. There's a local place (in Milwaukee) that mainly is for LE but also most things sells to the private sector. They have LE Gold Dots for $29/box 50 rd. They also have HST's for $27/box 50 rd. But just looking looking around at some other posts here, someone said to take a look at SGAmmo. I did, and they have some really good prices on both but then there are shipping fees (that I haven't worked out yet) to figure in.

A little off topic, SGAmmo has some great pricing on some Federal Match .308 ammo in 175gr.
    SGAmmo was the place I was going to mention, so you're already a step ahead of me.

Gold Dots and HST are both excellent choices, so you really can't make a bad decision here.

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

One word of caution, occasionally Speer makes available Gold Dot ammunition that is not up to par in QC. They mark it as for practice only not for LE or something to that effect. It's good ammunition but due to some minor issue in production it's not something you want to "bet the farm" on.

Gold Dot is a fine self defense ammo and as long as you shoot a hundred rounds or so to make sure your specific handgun will function flawlessly you're good to go. Do NOT just buy a box and load it up for carry without running a sufficient quantity through it first though. I've seen ammunition jam on the second round in one specific gun and run flawlessly in the exact same model but a different gun.

Welcome to the forum, stay safe, and practice!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Second, what is the price of these boxes of Gold Dots? I only ask because I know of a few VERY good deals on Federal HST in .40 S&W.
    Ammunition To Go : 50rds - 40 S&W Federal LE Tactical Bonded 165gr. HP Ammo [LE40T3] - $27.95

Ammunition To Go : 500rds - 40 S&W Federal LE Tactical Bonded 165gr. HP Ammo [LE40T3] - $274.95

Not too shabby, price wise. :)
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Right you are, AZ Hawk. I'm gonna jump on that HST at SGAmmo right away. Thanks as always.
    NRA Life Member

Right you are, AZ Hawk. I'm gonna jump on that HST at SGAmmo right away. Thanks as always.
    Glad I could help.

The only difference you may find with the XM40HC versus the P40HST1 is that it will have brass casings instead of nickel. The rest of the specs are almost identical to the P40HST1. Outstanding ammo and excellent price.

You are right. My local gun store bought three pallets of the stuff (three million rounds) a couple of months ago. There a K of it in my ammo locker. :)
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Packman,
    Some time ago I spoke with the Speer LE rep regarding the difference between the civilian ammo and the LE ammo. He told me the only difference is that the LE ammo goes through additional quality control checks and has to meet stricter standards. The only other difference is the packaging & labeling. I think the 20 rd boxes are marked Personal Protection and the 50 rds are Law Enforcement. Some years ago the LE stuff used to come in Gold boxes while the civilian ammo was in black boxes, thats now changed, all are black boxes.

Links