9mm Range Ammo Question: cleanliness + reliability

This is a discussion on 9mm Range Ammo Question: cleanliness + reliability within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I'm looking at a few good bulk FMJ range ammo deals right now, and am torn between the Fiocchi and the nickel-plated Remington ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 9mm Range Ammo Question: cleanliness + reliability

9mm Range Ammo Question: cleanliness + reliability

Hey all,

I'm looking at a few good bulk FMJ range ammo deals right now, and am torn between the Fiocchi and the nickel-plated Remington UMC. I've been using the Fiocchi lately and have been pleased with it, but the UMC is a little cheaper and I'm intrigued by the nickel-plated aspect as well, as I use nickel-plated Federal HST as my carry ammo.

For those that have used both, which do you prefer? Is the UMC cleaner than the Fiocchi? Have you had any feeding or reliability issues with either?

Many thanks, and stay safe this holiday season.

2. Remove Ads

I've shot quite a few boxes of UMCs and they shot fine. I haven't noticed them being any dirtier than the other loads like the Federal Champions which I've shot quite a bit. I never shot any Fiocchi though.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I haven't noticed much a dirtiness issue with UMC, what I have found though is that with the Walmart specials (Federal, WWB, UMC) you see a lot of variation in loads. You'll be firing away during a drill and suddenly it feels like your gun misfired, but it was really just a weak load. Not knocking those brands by any means, they're cheap and they work, go for it.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

From my Kahr CW9 (my only 9mm): I've successfully shot thousands of rounds of factory ammo with rarely a hiccup; and no problems clearly caused by the ammo. I've shot more Winchester White Box (WWB) than anything else, but also aluminum-cased Blazer, American Eagle, Fiocchi, and more.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

I shoot .40 not 9mm, but I've been pleased with nickel plated Remington UMC. I bought a 1000 rounds from SGAmmo and have gone through 250 of them in my Glock 22 and 23 with no feeding issues. I found the rounds to be very clean. I haven't fired any Fiocchi, so I can't comment on them.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Seems to me and maybe it's just me that Remington ammo has always had some quailty control issues so I havent been able to quite trust it for carry ammo.
    I do shoot both Rem. & Fiocchi .45 & 9mm range ammo,but I much prefer Winchester white box.

I have not had any problem with either brand. Have noticed that UMC was a little dirty. Most of the time I just grab WWB because I like the brass.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm cleaning my guns after any range session, regardless of type ammo used, so brand "cleanliness" is pretty much a non issue. I haven't had any reliability issues with any brand (because I shoot Glocks, S&W 3 Gens, and a CZ?) so I grab what's more economical.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm cleaning my guns after any range session, regardless of type ammo used, so brand "cleanliness" is pretty much a non issue. I haven't had any reliability issues with any brand (because I shoot Glocks, S&W 3 Gens, and a CZ?) so I grab what's more economical.
    I clean 'em out after every range session as well, but I'd nonetheless prefer to use cleaner shooting ammo when I can. For one, it just makes post-range day cleaning easier, particularly in the case of my P7 psp. The Fiocchi ammo I've been using lately makes for noticably easier cleanup than the Winchester NATO stuff I was using before that. Haven't had any reliability issues with Fiocchi or anything else I've shot yet either (because I shoot H&Ks?), but nonetheless it's always good to hear others' experiences.

Based on the responses, I think I'll stick with the Fiocchi stuff for now. Thanks for the helpful input everyone.

thanks man, you just helped me make my decision also!

cabelas has Sellier & Bellot 9mm for 9.99 per 50 and free shipping for orders over 99.

Never did see why clean powder was Such an issue for folks. To me it would seem that consistent burn rate and standard deviation would be a priority over what's cleaner.

Also, there's really no such thing as " a little dirty". It takes no more effort to clean one that is dirty or dirtier.
    bmcgilvray and NCW Ray like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    cabelas has Sellier & Bellot 9mm for 9.99 per 50 and free shipping for orders over 99.
    Not seeing this on their website? Some special offer?

The Sellier & Bellot 9mm at Cabelas he was talking about can be found HERE - Hope this helps
    Cabelas often does specials on shipping and right now it is free for any order that exceeds $99

Personally I have shot this through my Glock 17 and I find it works fine, easy cleaning afterwards as well.
    tommyj27 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Never did see why clean powder was Such an issue for folks. To me it would seem that consistent burn rate and standard deviation would be a priority over what's cleaner.

Also, there's really no such thing as " a little dirty". It takes no more effort to clean one that is dirty or dirtier.
    So true. The only attention my guns get after a day at the range is a brush and some patches down the bore and blowing anything loose out of the action with my air compressor and a wipe down with a silicone rag. Like others, I only detail strip and clean every five or six hundred rounds. Been doing it that way for about 40 years and have never seen a reason to change.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links