Ammo for M1 Garand

This is a discussion on Ammo for M1 Garand within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All Just added a Springfield M1 Garand to the collection I know it is suppost to eat M2 ball FMJ and im ordering surplus ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Ammo for M1 Garand

Ammo for M1 Garand

Hi All
    Just added a Springfield M1 Garand to the collection I know it is suppost to eat M2 ball FMJ and im ordering surplus and ive heard stories of not firing commerical grade but is there any Garand owners who fire other than M2 ball ? a 150 grain Commercial load trying to keep my options open .
    Thanks All
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

2. Remove Ads

I just got a Garand myself, and I've been doing plenty of research as well as talking to other Garand-o-philes. Commericial 150-grain ammo (typically FMJ, such as the American Eagle offering) works just fine in these great old guns. But even if you don't reload, save your brass! I just paid about a quarter a piece for a pile of once-fired brass, which means a $5 "reabte" of sorts for every 20-round box of loaded you buy. I got a can of M2 primarily to get the en bloc clips at a decent price!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Gas, I don't know what you consider a decent price but ...

Clip, 8 Round, US (Not Import)

My M1 was rebuilt as a NM model and glass-bedded in a new stock by Springfield in 1986 before they got out of the business. Had it chambered for 7.62x51. It shoots commercial .308 just fine.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Senior Moderator
    Mine (1943 Springfield) shoot anything that is 150 or 180 with no problems.

It should be with any full house load. Some of the exposed lead tips may deform a bit upon hitting the feed ramp but that depends on the particular brand, some are worse than others. I loaded up some 150 NBTs and they shot did fine.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Try using an adjustable gas plug, they're pretty cheap. Tune it to your chosen load and don't worry.
    Brownells Mobile
    Brownells Mobile
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Thanks all !
    I was just digging through my ammo cans and found a bag of 50 rds M2 ball its like Christmas ...lol
    Also I found another 50 rds of Lake city which I had marked 150 gr at the time I put it away , I'm hoping this will tied me over at the range until I can order some bulk m2 Also I think the adjustable gas plug is a good idea will do some research on it .
    NRA Member - GRNC Member

M2 is the best food, but mine will shoot just about any 30-06 I put through it. I've even used soft nose hunting rounds with no problem. Love my Garand!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

So far I have not come across any 30.06 ammo the M-1 would not eat. Great Firearm! M-14/M-1A has better gas system, harmonics, and a roller bearing on the bolt. These guns are truly the last of the great big bore battle rifles. With good match ammo (M-173 or M-852) you can even go out to 1,000 yards.

I've fired way more rounds through M1 rifles than any other center fire rifle, beginning in the mid 1970s. They don't require an adjustable gas plug. Any 125 grain to 180 grain .30 caliber bullets with any medium range propellant (3031 through 4320 in the IMR line for example) will give perfect satisfaction and no battering. This "special ammunition only" hogwash along with hokey adjustable gas plugs are products of recent anxious brooding and rumor-mongering over the internet.

Simply get to know the rifle by shooting medium weight bullets either fmj or soft-nosed, keep it cleaned and lubed, and don't build nuclear-powered handloads utilizing the real heavyweight bullets in the .30 caliber line and the rifle will treat you right for many years to come, even with heavy use.
    jem102 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thanks all taking it out to my buddies farm this weekend will let you know how she shoots !
    NRA Member - GRNC Member

I would bet the 150 Gr Bronze Points cartridges from Remington would work great. I believe you can buy the these bullets in bulk.
    Where are you buying these Garands, Camp Perry?

Get 'em while they're hot! The Civilian Marksmanship Program sales is where it's at, currently.
    CMP Sales

Obtained in March of 1987, just in time for the high-power season that year and has seen a lot of use since that time. This M1 came from the CMP's predecessor, the DCM (Director of Civilian Marksmanship).
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Mine was a re-import from Central America (in 1985). The stock was trash, the bore was almost smooth and the recoil spring was in two pieces - but I only paid $150 for it, and it appeared that everything was original.

Back then Springfield was doing rebuilds so I turned it over to them and got back (for $400) a reparkerized, restocked (and glass bedded), rebarreled (in .308) National Match rifle. With match ammo, it holds 1.5 MOA at 200 yards. BTW, it was built in March 1941, three months before I was born. :)
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I've fired way more rounds through M1 rifles than any other center fire rifle, beginning in the mid 1970s. They don't require an adjustable gas plug. Any 125 grain to 180 grain .30 caliber bullets with any medium range propellant (3031 through 4320 in the IMR line for example) will give perfect satisfaction and no battering. This "special ammunition only" hogwash along with hokey adjustable gas plugs are products of recent anxious brooding and rumor-mongering over the internet.

Simply get to know the rifle by shooting medium weight bullets either fmj or soft-nosed, keep it cleaned and lubed, and don't build nuclear-powered handloads utilizing the real heavyweight bullets in the .30 caliber line and the rifle will treat you right for many years to come, even with heavy use.
    Good advice and what the gun was designed to operate with! I would be somewhat careful how much commercial 180 gr. I shot as it is most likely loaded with slower powder than 4320...decent op rods are getting expensive.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Sorry pic was from Camera phone and im only planning on running 150 gr.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links