Hornady VS Gold Dot?

This is a discussion on Hornady VS Gold Dot? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hollow points need soft material (like meat) to expand and typically behave like FMJ when hitting hard targets. also, most modern defensive ammo is bonded ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Hornady VS Gold Dot?

Hornady VS Gold Dot?

hollow points need soft material (like meat) to expand and typically behave like FMJ when hitting hard targets. also, most modern defensive ammo is bonded or engineered to stay together while most fmj is not and will very often come apart when hitting hard material. another thing to consider is that barriers like walls, refrigerators, car doors etc are opportunities to break contact and run. unless you're a LEO with offensive duties, barrier penetration is not much of a benefit anyway. and LEO's aren't carrying fmj either.

2. Remove Ads

Hornady VS Gold Dot?

Hit the range today with my M&P Shield 40 and shot tons of ammo. I shot HPR 180g target FMJ, HPR 180g JHP, American eagle 155g FMJ, 180g Speer Gold Dot, and 175g Hornady Critical Duty (not Critical Defense).

All went well except for the Gold Dot's. Shot two mags of them in the beginning and two mags at the end of my shoot. Both times I had a failure to feed. The beginning was the 6 round mag and the end was the 7 round. This happened on my last trip to the range and now I have removed Speer Gold Dots from my carry regimen. As we all know a failure to feed is a fatal blow to a Self Defense situation.

On a lighter note I shot 3 boxes of critical duty with no FTF or FTE issues. It has now been advanced to my new carry ammunition. Hope this helps everyone.

Hornady VS Gold Dot?

I would also like to add that I shot 400 rounds today and my only FTF's were Gold Dots. I've only ever had issues with Gold Dots.

Also would like to note that I noticed that the mouth of the case on the Hornady CD is better crimped and much more smooth to the bullet than the Gold Dots. I am thinking this may be the issue. I think I recall others complaining of this as well. That little mouth lip may be getting hung up.

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    I prefer the Gold Dot JHP's.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    In order of importance:

Zero) Targeting something vital. This is all about the shooter and has nothing to do with the round used. Also note that virtually all the vital targets lie a meaningful distance beneath the surface. Non-vital wounds are just that.

First). Penetration. If it doesn't go deeply enough, it's not good enough.

Second) Size of the wound channel. Bigger is better, but only if points 0 and 1 above are both satisfied.

Given the above, My first consideration in buying ammo is adequate penetration. Without that, expansion will do me no good. That's why I like the heavy-for-caliber bullets. As an exercise, try comparing the Sectional Density of the .45ACP 230gr ball round to your favorite load.

For any of the newbies who have not yet read the full report on the Miami FBI shootout, I recommend you look it up and do so. Pay particular attention to the round that hit one of the perps early on in the fight that could have ended it all but for inadequate penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    In order of importance:

Zero) Targeting something vital. This is all about the shooter and has nothing to do with the round used. Also note that virtually all the vital targets lie a meaningful distance beneath the surface. Non-vital wounds are just that.

First). Penetration. If it doesn't go deeply enough, it's not good enough.

Second) Size of the wound channel. Bigger is better, but only if points 0 and 1 above are both satisfied.

Given the above, My first consideration in buying ammo is adequate penetration. Without that, expansion will do me no good. That's why I like the heavy-for-caliber bullets. As an exercise, try comparing the Sectional Density of the .45ACP 230gr ball round to your favorite load.

For any of the newbies who have not yet read the full report on the Miami FBI shootout, I recommend you look it up and do so. Pay particular attention to the round that hit one of the perps early on in the fight that could have ended it all but for inadequate penetration.
    Couldn't agree more. Worry about placing good shots center of mass under duress with your practice ammo. Then find a high-penetrating round that will stay put.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Someone pass the popcorn..... My personal preference id Winchester Ranger ammo but it is a PITA to find. Due to lack of available ammo, I just picked up a box of Critical Duty 175gr .40sw. I am confident with it in my glock, but my SR40C will shortly be getting something that reliably performs from a shorter barrel. I would rather have anything than ball ammo, but I would prob pick the gold dot over the hornady. No matter what, hit with a good shot and the BG will have a bad day.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Old thread but just happened on it.
    I agree with a lot of what has been said on both sides. However I may have missed this point. What about a situation in your home with your family in another room. If you miss and this would be highly likely under stress, movement of BG(s), and lighting, where is your bullet going to end up. I guess what I am suggesting is that there is no right answer. Over penetration or under can either be very bad.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    It must be something like what you said about the crimp. I reload, and have put 250 rounds of Gold Dot through my Glock without a single FTF. I have 250 rounds left which is reserved for SD. I have never purchased factory loaded Gold Dot.

Quote Originally Posted by lamerem View Post
    I would also like to add that I shot 400 rounds today and my only FTF's were Gold Dots. I've only ever had issues with Gold Dots.

Also would like to note that I noticed that the mouth of the case on the Hornady CD is better crimped and much more smooth to the bullet than the Gold Dots. I am thinking this may be the issue. I think I recall others complaining of this as well. That little mouth lip may be getting hung up.

I have been carrying the Critical Duty .40S&W 175 gr. It was recommended by my buddy. he told me it has a Flexlock Design. I was told it gets at least the FBI required penetration, and it should not over penetrate. So based on his recommendation that is what I use for SD ammo.
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    I haven't tried Gold Dot, but have shot the Hornady Critical Defense, along with several others. I rely on Winchester Ranger in my EC gun. I'm consistently more accurate with those than any other that I've tried. Remington Golden Saber would be my second choice. These are both 165gr for my SD40VE.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    I have Critical Defense for my .380

I have Critical Duty, PDX-1 and Speer Gold dot in 9mm. Not sure which to carry but I currently have the Speer in the mags. Btw, how is the Gold Dot in 115 grn?
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion, Diamondback DB-15, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, S&W Bodyguard .380, FN Five SeveN 5.7.

Semper

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links