Reminder: Practice with your ammunition

This is a discussion on Reminder: Practice with your ammunition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My habit is to pick up ammo when I see good deals, and I found a box of RWS 9mm 124 gr. FMJ at WW ...

Thread: Reminder: Practice with your ammunition

Reminder: Practice with your ammunition

My habit is to pick up ammo when I see good deals, and I found a box of RWS 9mm 124 gr. FMJ at WW for something like $13/50. Added it to my range ammo stock. It's Swiss-made and supposed to be good.

Yesterday, I went out for some target shooting and brought the RWS, some PMC, and Remington 9mm, too. First up was the Ruger SR9c, which I loaded with 10 rounds of the RWS. For comparison, here's the RWS (left) next to a round of my regular carry ammo, Corbon DPX 115 gr.:

After seating the magazine, I racked the slide to chamber a round, sighted, drew the trigger and FTF. Just a mushy trigger pull, no "bang." I ejected the round in the chamber and the next round hung up on the ramp. Dropped the magazine, cleared the chamber, reseated the magazine, and another FTF.

Eventually I was able to fire two or three rounds, and then more FTFs.

I then ran 4 magazines (40 rounds) of the Remington without incident. The SR9c has been fine with Corbon DPX in regular and +P, Federal, WWB, L&B, and PMC. There's something about the RWS it doesn't like - either the length and shape of the nose, or the way the primer is seated.

As a second check, I ran the entire remaining box of of RWS through the Ruger LC9 without a hiccup.

Moral of the story: Check all your ammo with every firearm in which you intend to shoot it.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Moral of the story: Check all your ammo with every firearm in which you intend to shoot it.
    Good point after all how can you know ammo is compatible unless you fire at least some of it through the intended weapon.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Did your SR9c primer strikes look weak on the RWS ammo? One of my competition Glocks with a light striker spring won't reliably shoot this ammo. RWS ammo does have relatively hard primers compared to most USA-made ammo.

Did your SR9c primer strikes look weak on the RWS ammo?
    Good question. I looked and couldn't see any obvious markings. Maybe I don't know what to look for. This is the first problem of this type I've encountered. The SR9c is striker fired, and the LC9 is hammer fired. Regardless, the RWS wasn't cycling properly in the SR9c, but was fine in the other gun. Whether the primer was getting hit hard enough is academic since the bullets weren't happy making the transition from magazine to chamber.

I won't be buying any more of this ammo - not because it's bad, but that I don't want to have to keep track of which gun likes what. If the box says "9mm," I want to know that any gun I own will fire it happily.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Amen! I picked up a good deal on some brand-name 115 gr. FMJ 9mm and the OAL difference from my FMJ handloads and SD ammo is about the same as what's in your photo. It gives me a FTF about every other shot in my P95 and one in five in my PT99. To be useful, I'm having to run it through my seating die to reduce the OAL and then through my taper-crimp die.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Question

FWIW, my experience with the RWS/Geco 124 gr. FMJ load has been excellent: ~ 1,700 rounds, zero failures in two Glock 19s.

I only mention this as I don't want to others to be discouraged from buying RWS/Geco 9mm ammunition based on one experience.

On the topic at hand, however... Actually, I don't really understand the topic in its current form. It would make sense if you were referring to practicing with and vetting your SD/carry ammo, but practicing with practice ammo is what most of us already do, right?

So I guess my point is this: unless you plan on carrying the RWS 124 gr. FMJ, what's the worry?
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    FWIW, my experience with the RWS/Geco 124 gr. FMJ load has been excellent: ~ 1,700 rounds, zero failures in two Glock 19s.

I only mention this as I don't want to others to be discouraged from buying RWS/Geco 9mm ammunition based on one experience.
    I've found it to be good, pretty clean burning and accurate range ammo. But, it does have a couple of aspects folks should be aware of:

The bullet used has a copper plated soft steel jacket - it's magnetic. This can create a problem at some ranges, mainly indoor, that prohibit steel in the projectiles. Ranges usually use a magnet to check ammo for steel.

The primer flash hole is somewhat smaller than normal. This can present a reloading problem as some dies have a decapping pin that is too large for the smaller flash hole.

I don't want to others to be discouraged from buying RWS/Geco 9mm ammunition based on one experience.
    Not at all. As I mentioned, it was flawless through the LC9 - it just didn't seem to like the SR9c.

And, although I got it for range ammo, all ammo in the house should be functional because you never know. If I load it in a gun, I expect it to go bang. Don't want any problems where I have to think, "Wait, does this hang up in this gun?" or similar. So my comment was directed to SR9c owners with respect to this loading of RWS, and a cautionary note to all owners in regard to testing ammo in general. Hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Not at all. As I mentioned, it was flawless through the LC9 - it just didn't seem to like the SR9c.

And, although I got it for range ammo, all ammo in the house should be functional because you never know. If I load it in a gun, I expect it to go bang. Don't want any problems where I have to think, "Wait, does this hang up in this gun?" or similar. So my comment was directed to SR9c owners with respect to this loading of RWS, and a cautionary note to all owners in regard to testing ammo in general. Hope that makes sense.
    Point taken.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I've found many SA's of different models (not particular to any brand) that are finicky or fail in loading some bullet styles while other models (not particular to any brand) will load and fire anything you shovel into them.

Load/feeding problems are many times caused by after-market magazines; but, in your instance, a number of FTFs once loaded is probably something I'd have the local gunsmith check out because you could either have a weak hammer spring, dragging firing pin, or some other problem that isn't letting the pin whack the primer hard enough to light it up.

Another possibility is that your pistol's chamber is a bit tighter than most and/or the ammo is a tad oversize to the point the round isn't fully seating in the chamber; and since most all SA's will not let the firing pin move forward unless the slide is fully home, that could be your problem as well. In either case, it's a good idea to take one of the rounds and your pistol for a gunsmith's opinion.

Everyone is entirely correct in that, before trusting your life to any new type or brand of ammo, you should always fire a few magazine loads (though the particular weapon it's going to be used in) just to make sure it feeds, loads, fires, and ejects without a hitch or bobble of any kind.

Shock;
    Are my eyes bad or does your photo show a HUGE difference in cartridge length?
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    Shock;
    Are my eyes bad or does your photo show a HUGE difference in cartridge length?
    Your eyes are not deceiving you, and that difference is somewhat the point of the discussion. :)
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Links