Prefrangibles

This is a discussion on Prefrangibles within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Facts cannot coexist with Gunkind in his little universe....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prefrangibles

Facts cannot coexist with Gunkind in his little universe.

2. Remove Ads

FLM
    Doc Roberts is in the process of thoroughly testing RBCD. My guess is it will be just another gimmick round. Shawn Dodson tested the Magsafe on his excellent site and found it had inadequate penetration. I give no credibility whatsoever to the M&S one-shot stopping percentages. I\'ll stay with Ranger T and Gold Dots. Your results may vary.

New Member Array Mr Jody Hudson's Avatar
    I did some testing with the prefrags in an old barn we had. Sadly, most of the bullets, small shot embedded in clear plastic inside a hollow point - most of these penetrated various walls in the barn like a paper punch!!!!!!!! I don\'\'t use prefrag any more. I also found that they do not penetrate far enough to make me happy about using them... and then there is the price!!!!!!!!!!

I am a devout fan of GDHP by Speer, Black Hills or Double Tap, in each caliber.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/volume4/number3/article432.htm

MagSafe Ammunition Demonstrates Inadequate Terminal Performance for General-Purpose Personal Defense Use

So-called \"performance ammunition,\" a marketing moniker for cartridges that propel lightweight bullets at high-velocity, are mostly a poor choice for general-purpose personal defense use. These bullets typically require best-case conditions, such as an unobstructed shot to the upper torso, to produce an effective, fight stopping wound. Put a commonly encountered obstacle into the path of these bullets, like a hand or an arm, and these wonder bullets can be easily defeated.

Administrator

SORRY FOLKS!

I absolutely (but respectfully) disagree with you concerning the GLASER SAFETY SLUG. I shoot on my own property in the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania which gives me a bit more leeway to do bizarro bullet tests.
    I spent about $150.00 smacks of my own hard earned American dollars testing the Glaser & it\'s fantastic.
    I am impressed & I carry it. SEE THEIR VIDEO FOR YOURSELF & then comment back here. It\'s a 3.5 minute sound video.
    GLASER CLICK HERE Scroll down to the text & click on the video hyperlink.

Glasers do several things very well. They also do some things not so well. Life is a matter of choice, and we are fortunate in the US to have a wide variety of ammo choice.

The biggest debit I see is the cost of proofing the round in a semi auto. Revolver only takes a few rounds to determine POA/POI.

Administrator

KC135

You are correct on count 1 & count 2.
    These days I carry one spare mag of Glaser.
    It is very expensive to function test a firearm with expensive exotic/frangible ammo.
    It sure would be nice (for instance) if Glaser would offer an ordinary identical cartridge with a special bullet nose configuration of \"cheapo test ammo\" that exactly matched the OAL & bullet shape of their frangible ammo - so that you could at least test semi-auto feed reliability & extraction without draining the ol'bank account.

QK, the problem is not in the shape of the projectile, it is in the back thrust (weight) that is needed to operate the slide, and the timing of the slide\'s motion. I am sure Cor Bon could come up with a practice round, but cost would be high, and demand would be low. Cor Bon has much R&D in progress in ammo that will sell.

Quote Originally Posted by FLM View Post
    Shawn Dodson tested the Magsafe on his excellent site and found it had inadequate penetration.
    What is the website's URL?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    a while back my cousin suicided ... in the events that led up to this he shot a feller at 30 to 45 ft with a 12 ga loaded with # 4 shot ( high brass winchester ) thro an un choked gun . this had no stoping power at all since the afformentioned feller walked to his pickup , pulled out an old junk mod 59 smith and proceeded to return fire .. the docs took 34 pellets out of his back , but none penetrated much more than an inch ... my opinion , and my opinion only is that tho in some circumstances pre frang can work .. for myself i will take any hp ammo over it in any handgun cal . i would rather have one quality wound channel than multiple shallow ones .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I've tried extreme shocks 9mm. Then I saw the report of the box o truth website(http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23.htm)
    They are not worth it. I'll just stick with the good old hydrashocks

Any studies on how effective frangibles are against bone (say, the pelvic area), as compared to traditional ball or JHP? Seems to me that one of the most-effective ways to stop an attacker is to disallow his ability to stand and move. In other words, take out his "wheels" by breaking the pelvis. Or, are frangibles really primary soft-tissue-only types of rounds?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Or, are frangibles really primary soft-tissue-only types of rounds?
    wisdom right there imho , in all the studys you will be able to find the prefrag companys do not want to speak to the bone issue , and others do mention that when prefrags come up ... imho its choose what you are most comfortable with , for myself its not prefrag.. but then i have seen folks run off with a threat , or a hit from a .22 .. for myself i kinda agree with the fbi standards , i want to reach a vital area with a single wound channel .. if i had small children and lived in an apartment tho , the safety pre frang rounds provide might well over ride that .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Take a look at triton quik-shok ammunition. It breaks into 3 pieces on impact and works.

I agree 1,000% with you on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    An instructor I had said for CCW and home defense use, use the same ammunition that the local police use. In my neck of the woods (the desert actually) that would be Golden Saber. I will do whatever I can to make my defense attorney\'s job easier when it comes to getting my old arse outta jail. :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links