Question about ammo cans

Question about ammo cans

This is a discussion on Question about ammo cans within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. I ordered a good deal from ammoman.com not to long ago that was a wolf package. It came with 500 rounds of the ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 3 Post By Eaglebeak

Thread: Question about ammo cans

Question Question about ammo cans

Hello all. I ordered a good deal from ammoman.com not to long ago that was a wolf package. It came with 500 rounds of the following :
    9mm
    7.62x39
    with that being said it was a good transaction and quick free shipping but badddddd packaging. The 9 and 5.56 was all good in a big box individually boxed 20 round cartons. The 7.62x39 on the other hand was just thrown in there in 20 round cheap boxes and almost looked wet a little? But it has been cold here latley so....I have this ammo can and was wandering if it would hurt anything to unbox all the 7.62 and pour it into the ammo can? Is this safe? It looks like it will be sealed pretty good? Please let me know what you think and thanks in advance!

VIP Member
    That's what I would do. Throw a couple desiccant packs in there, a little grease along the rubber seal and you should be good.
    marcclarke likes this.

Military bulk ammo often comes loose packed in ammo cans - at least it did back in Nam; but I'd be a litte spooky about loose rounds rattling around in a can especially if the can was accidently dropped and Murphy's law had the point of one FMJ rifle round hammering into the primer of another by the impact.

Generally, Wolf ammo boxes are thin and flimsy at best, much less if they've been a little damp from condensation. However, Wolf 7.62 x 39 steel case rounds are all fairly well clear-coated to make them reasonably moisture-proof. I'd open up all the boxes, remove the rounds and layer papers, let everything lay out for a day or so to make sure it's bone dry, repack the boxes, and store them back in the ammo can if you don't have any other moisture-proof place to keep them.

As "WHEC" mentioned, lube the can's lid seal for a more air-tight fit, but use silicone base lube rather than petroleum base that deteriorates rubber and even neoprene with time.
    WHEC724, CaptSmith and marcclarke like this.

Thanks so much for all the help!

+1 on the desiccant and loose in a can... ive been handling ammo every day for the last 5 years and thats what we do minus the desiccant so if you toss one in there your one up on the Marines lol
    Semper Fi

It won't be a problem. At work we use ammo cans to store 20mm rounds and aircraft countermeasure mods, and those are are all electrically primed. If anything was to go off randomly it would be them.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

The desiccant won't hurt, but the normal household humidity will have little, if any, measurable effect upon the ammo or it's longevity. Even if the ammo is completely wet, all you have to do is wipe the moisture off. WW II ammo have been found time and time again over the year with wood cases rotted away and the cardboard sleeves turned to mush and the ammo still fired just fine.

Despite some urban legends (myths) floating around the internet, ammo is not fragile, water will not kill it, oil on your fingers will not kill it and it has a life measured in decades, not months or years. I have handloads that were made in the mid-70s and have been stored under no special circumstances and it shoots just like it did 40 years ago.
    Last edited by Majorlk; December 7th, 2011 at 03:30 PM.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

All the ammo I buy is stored in 50 cal. Ammo cans and its all loose, just make sure the ammo cans dry and clean
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

Links