CompBullet -- The compensator is built into the bullet

This is a discussion on CompBullet -- The compensator is built into the bullet within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mlr1m I wonder if they emit a whistling sound when they are fired? Michael Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzip!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: CompBullet -- The compensator is built into the bullet

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I wonder if they emit a whistling sound when they are fired?

Michael
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzip!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Hey OldVet...he's probably talking about shots going out...not coming in....
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I live for recoil,if my gun don't recoil enough to make me giggle,then I need a bigger gun,if it recoils enough to make me pee myself,I went too far
    I think if it recoils enough to make you pee yourself, it's time to start wearing some Depends.

Only good reason I can think of not to keep shooting is because all your fingers are broken.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Accuracy in rifled bullets has a lot to do with how well ballanced the bullet is as it spins down range.
    If those side vent hole are off by just a little I would think a few thousand revolutions per minute might just send them way off course.

Time will tell.

OMO
    bosco
    This is a good point. I can see where these holes might destabilize the bullet. I can also see where they might whistle. The comment about the sound tracers for blind people is pretty funny.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    This is a good point. I can see where these holes might destabilize the bullet. I can also see where they might whistle. The comment about the sound tracers for blind people is pretty funny.
    That does seem like it would be pretty interesting... a bullet that whistles. I would love to try a few; a couple .357mags at 100yds would make a pretty interesting show maybe.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Sounds like a gimmick to me.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Primitive! Amateur! Fool!

This is what my bullets look like:

The_Bullet_from___Wanted___by_maxspider.jpg

<<<LINKY to see how it works>>>
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I don't quite get how a compensated bullet would work...The whole point of a compensated barrel is to allow the gases to bleed OUT of the barrel, so how would putting holes in the bullet help with that? Are they actually trying to claim that those little vents will act as a muzzle break as the the last 1/4 inch of the bullet leaves the barrel? Silly.

Edit: Another thing I just thought of, as others have mentioned those holes could create a bullet that doesn't spin as well, what about the gases that will be blasting out of the holes as the bullet leaves? There is no guarantee that those gases will exit evenly, which could then throw the bullets spin off even more.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    The compensating holes in a barrel allow gas to exert a force opposite recoil just before the bullet leaves the muzzle. This also reduces the bullet's velocity, acting like a shorter barrel. For the bullet itself to exert a compensating force, it must shed an equal amount of its own energy or velocity. If the bullet with side holes is sufficiently hard, it won't obdurate completely into the grooves, thereby allowing gasses to leak forward. This will also achieve a bit of compensation and further reduce velocity. Depending on the size and arrangements of the holes, the bullet may be able to achieve several pitches of sound, thereby whistling "Dixie."
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Sounds like a gimmick to me.
    ^^^^^ This ^^^^^ What a load, but someone will buy them.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

It looks to me like they are machined rather than cast or sweged. Then, I was wondering how much they would cost. So I emailed the company and asked about retail prices.

He emailed me back and didn't give any prices; he cannot sell them here. Either he cannot get an export license from Italy (or the European Community, who knows?) or they are viewed as 'armor penetrating' bullets and denied entry into the U. S. Or, he just doesn't want to bother and made up the excuse.

In my view of over forty years of shooting and reloading, they're made from 100% snake oil. It's okay, the cast bullets I shoot most do very well.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Primitive! Amateur! Fool!

This is what my bullets look like:

The_Bullet_from___Wanted___by_maxspider.jpg

<<<LINKY to see how it works>>>

At least if I got shot with THAT bullet I wouldn't feel quite so bad, it's sooooo purdy!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links