Round in the chamber: Good or bad?

This is a discussion on Round in the chamber: Good or bad? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying a round in the chamber for all three of my primary weapons: car (Beretta 92fs), home (Beretta PX 4 Storm .45), and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Round in the chamber: Good or bad?

I've been carrying a round in the chamber for all three of my primary weapons: car (Beretta 92fs), home (Beretta PX 4 Storm .45), and ccw (Kahr CM 9). I've been given to understand that may be a mistake. My question is, why? Is it really that bad an idea to have a round "ready to rock"? I've always figured that I was my best safety, anyway, and that in most situations, I wouldn't consciously have time to rack a slide in an emergency. Is it a liability issue?

In an unrelated area; I'm considering joining the USCCA, especially for the Defense Shield litigation insurance. Anybody out there have an opinion on this group, or what they claim to represent? Do I really need this kind of protection? And would it really help if I had to take out a BG?

1. Who told you that was a mistake?

2. ALWAYS carry with a round in the chamber.
    Guest1 and MinistrMalic like this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Your gun is about as useful as a one pound hammer without a round in the chamber. Obviously that is an overstatement, but you get my point.

I just googled this USCCA group, and honestly it seemed a bit like getting "volcano insurance". Granted, that opinion was formed after 5 minutes of skimming their information.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

1+ for AZHawk! I always carry a round in the chamber of anything I carry for self defense. Not doing so makes me tend to believe the proponant of that idea is too unsure of himself to trust himself to carry a loaded weapon and very lacking in training in the area of "situation awareness". If someone attacks you you will not have the luxury of drawing/chambering a round/then confronting the threat. I carry 1911s/Browning HPs/Glocks/Sigs/Revolvers/Single Action Revolvers. All are chambered. Done so thru licensed CCW since 1965-two full military and state leo careers on three continents with local/state/federal and international LE agencies and we all were locked and loaded. What are the creds of who told you different?

This has been covered a thousand times before on this forum. Search for it and you'll have enough reading material to keep you busy through 10 years worth of bathroom breaks. I'll save you some time.

Although there are a handful of people here who do not carry chambered....the overwhelming majority will tell you to carry chambered.

Carry chambered. If you arent comfortable carrying chambered, get comfortable.

is your friend

Bottom line: carry chambered. Also, seek additional training on weapon employment.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Round in chamber check,booger hook off bang switch til ready to fire check,I have always carried a semi auto pistol in condition 1,The one time you may need to draw and fire from retention,you may not have the room or time to chamber a round.
    There is a video where a store owner is in his store,looks like its in the middle east,IIRC the store owner had killed somebody trying to rob his store,suddenly a guy comes into the shop shooting "the dead guys brother",the store owner draws his gun and tries to chamber a round,but jams his gun,the attacker closes still shooting and you see the shopkeeper die still trying to chamber a round.
    There is another video where a clerk in a convenience store sees a guy come thru the door with a gun,he pulls his own gun and tries to shoot but the gun won't fire and the BG shoots and hits him.The store clerk never took the safety off ,that is why if you carry a gun with a manual safety,train to shoot utilising the safety,or carry a firearm like a Glock,XD,or M&P pistols that don't have a manual safety you need to disengage
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by hrufrdr1 View Post
    I've been carrying a round in the chamber for all three of my primary weapons: car (Beretta 92fs), home (Beretta PX 4 Storm .45), and ccw (Kahr CM 9). I've been given to understand that may be a mistake. My question is, why? Is it really that bad an idea to have a round "ready to rock"? I've always figured that I was my best safety, anyway, and that in most situations, I wouldn't consciously have time to rack a slide in an emergency. Is it a liability issue?

In an unrelated area; I'm considering joining the USCCA, especially for the Defense Shield litigation insurance. Anybody out there have an opinion on this group, or what they claim to represent? Do I really need this kind of protection? And would it really help if I had to take out a BG?
    Carry with a round in the chamber, think of it as a revolver, there is always a round ready to be fired.

USCCA: Forget it...SCAM.. do some research before you join, lot of unhappy people over there
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Round in the chamber? Always!

USCCA? I've been a member since the first magazine, but this latest insurance scam, and it is a worthless scam IMHO, will keep me from renewing...I'm done!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think a good holster and practices address any concerns over a chambered round.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Add one more to the 'use the search' group. Try using the word 'chambered', you'll find plenty of hits here...
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    AGAIN? Really? OK,

I can't even imagine carrying a gun without a round in the chamber.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    If someone replied to an old thread, some of the same 'Search is your friend folks' would respond with 'Way to revive a 6 month old thread!'

This topic will continue to be started, judging by the thread title you're free not to read it - it's pretty clear what it's going to be about.

Anyway, unlike most people I'm a believer that you should carry how you are comfortable based on your own personal beliefs and comfort level. I used to carry without one in the chamber, however I trained that way and racking the slide was part of my draw. I've since become more comfortable with my firearms and holsters (aka, trusting) and feel confident carrying with one in the chamber and now train as such.

What I don't think is a very good idea is being wishy washy on how you carry or having one gun chambered (home for example) and your other guns not... this isn't something you want any guess work about and I feel all guns should; 1. Be treated as if they are loaded and; 2. Be in a like condition.

The biggest concern for me wasn't speed in draw/ready to fire, that's negligible, it was that racking the slide to get a round chambered is THE most likely time for something to malfunction. A bad round, a sloppy rack, magazine problem, a gun malfunction... etc. If you have a round chambered the percentage of it going bang is almost 100% and you're most likely going to get at least one round off.

Not having one in the chamber however makes your chance of having the gun go off when it's not supposed to about 0, that's also pretty comforting. When you think about it, the chances of us needing to use our firearms in self defense is pretty low, but it can happen. How much time will you have and can you handle racking a slide under stress successfully? I don't know... nobody does, nor does anyone know if they'll be human and make their gun go off (yes, even those who say their best safety is between their ears and 'keep your booger hook off the bang switch', that's the most likely failure in my opinion, not the gun). Shooting pros, law enforcement officers, experienced gun handlers, all have had accidental/negligent/unintentional discharges and have probably said the same things in defense of their skills, messed up just one time and now have a hole in their leg because they (along with all of us) are human, first and foremost.

Whatever you choose to do, be comfortable with your decision and train that way.

Hmmm.

Choose one:

A) Carry a functional firearm.

B) Carry a short, ineffective club that (if your antagonist is so kind as to give you time and opportunity) may be converted to a functional firearm.

There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Whoever told you that is uninformed and I would be wary of any other advice they offer. The whole point of carrying a firearm is that some day, someone may put you in a life or death situation that you didn't choose to be in and you've gotta be ready to defend yourself ASAP because I guarantee if you are ever in a situation where you have to use it things will happen FAST.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links