Bad Cheap Ammo = Red Faced Shooter

Bad Cheap Ammo = Red Faced Shooter

This is a discussion on Bad Cheap Ammo = Red Faced Shooter within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my S&W Model 27-2 six inch to the range today for a little informal plinking, .38 Special style. Yesterday, I went round to ...

Thread: Bad Cheap Ammo = Red Faced Shooter

1943 - 2009

Red face Bad Cheap Ammo = Red Faced Shooter

I took my S&W Model 27-2 six inch to the range today for a little informal plinking, .38 Special style. Yesterday, I went round to all 3 (yes, 3) of my local gunshops, plus Wally-World, looking for .38 Special 148 grain wadcutter loads, without success. Nobody carries this ammo.

So I settled on a box of remanufactured .38 Special 158 grain SWC, made by Ultramax Ammunition, Rapid City, SD, $8.99 for a box of 50 rounds. The ammo was clean & shiny, in R-P nickel plated cases, so I figured what the hay, the price is right.

Folks, I'm no Olympic-class shooter, but I ain't no slouch, either, as pics of targets I have posted here before will attest, I think. But this ammo impacted everywhere except on the 25 yard target. Left, right, low, high, you name it. And this was shooting from a rest. It's not the gun's fault, either. This Smith is dead-bang on target at 25 yards with Magnum ammo. I was too embarrassed to even take a photo of my sorry target that had 7 bullet holes in it.

I don't know what else to say except stay away from this outfit: http://www.ultramaxammunition.com/home.html

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

It may not be the ammo itself but the weight, maybe your gun dosn't like 158 grain ammo. I have a sig 9mm that will not shoot anything less than 147 gr. ammo to save my life. The manufacture of the ammo was not the problem as I've tried different brands and the only thing in common was the weight.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    thanks for the tip.I have not bought remanufactured ammo before, because I was always a bit worried about the quality, especially the brass. This will not encourage me to do so in the future.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Assistant Administrator
    Terry - my M27-2 and M28 love 158's and in fact many revo's in 38/357 were built around that weight - many snubs were too.

I used to load and still do, Lyman home cast 158 SWC's and they are excellent - but i wonder if yours were sized properly and whether powder charges were consistent - hard to tell without chrono data but your flying POI's suggest an inconsistency.

Mind you - that stuff could not have been worse than A-Merc
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gotammo View Post
    It may not be the ammo itself but the weight, maybe your gun dosn't like 158 grain ammo. I have a sig 9mm that will not shoot anything less than 147 gr. ammo to save my life. The manufacture of the ammo was not the problem as I've tried different brands and the only thing in common was the weight.
    No, my Smith shoots to POA with several brands (Federal, PMC & Winchester) of .357 Magnum 158 grain ammo. So, yeah, I'm sure it was the ammo itself.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Terry - my M27-2 and M28 love 158's and in fact many revo's in 38/357 were built around that weight - many snubs were too.

I used to load and still do, Lyman home cast 158 SWC's and they are excellent - but i wonder if yours were sized properly and whether powder charges were consistent - hard to tell without chrono data but your flying POI's suggest an inconsistency.

Mind you - that stuff could not have been worse than A-Merc
    Oh, they were definitely inconsistent. There was considerable variance in felt recoil and even the loudness of the report. I suspect the bullets varied quite a bit in weight also. They appear to be cast, not swaged. Oh, and the ammo was extremely dirty, too.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Wasn't there issues with Ultramax's .223?

Trying to remember.....

Links