Purchased a Bodyguard 380 for CCW, looking for your thoughts on the Barnes XPB/TAC-XP

Purchased a Bodyguard 380 for CCW, looking for your thoughts on the Barnes XPB/TAC-XP

This is a discussion on Purchased a Bodyguard 380 for CCW, looking for your thoughts on the Barnes XPB/TAC-XP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, Been doing some research on the 380 cartridge, and it appears that the Barnes 80gr TACXP/XPB bullet (XPB being the 'updated' TACXP) is ...

Hey guys,

Been doing some research on the 380 cartridge, and it appears that the Barnes 80gr TACXP/XPB bullet (XPB being the 'updated' TACXP) is a really great load. I wanted to buy some DoubleTap 380 XPB, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the company? Do they produce good ammo? Are they reliable?

Thanks!

Best to all

No offense, but I personally do not consider any .380 load suitable for SD. If it's my life that hangs in the balance, I'll be glad I had at minimum, a 158gr .38, or a 147gr 9mm. Now flame away, mousegunners. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know: superior shot placement, something is better than nothing, practice, practice, and more practice, and all that. No, I'm not a LEO. But having a gun stuck in my face twice is probably more than most LEOs. Respectfully, I'll side with effectiveness.

No, I agree with you Yankee, which is why I carry my .40 as often as possible.
    However, where I work, I must wear slacks, dress shirt, and tie. It's very hard to hide a .40 in that, in fact it's hard to hide an LC9 (which I did try). So that is why I've defaulted to the .380.

The copper bullet is long for it's weight (or light for it's length depending on how you look at it). I prefer the heavy 102gr Gold Saber myself.

Whatever you pick make sure it shoots good in your gun, when you get away from conventional loads you may get accuracy, reliabilty, or pressure problems.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post

I wanted to buy some DoubleTap 380 XPB, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the company? Do they produce good ammo? Are they reliable?
    To get to your question about DT (Double Tap), recently I've have ordered their .357 sig 147 gr rounds. In the past I used some of their 9mm. With my current orders the delivery is less than a week from order placement. Their components are top notch and their ammunition is high rated for performance. No problems with either the 9mm or .357 sig I've used from them. They are expensive though. Most of my carry rounds are Ranger or SGD, but I've been carrying the DT in my 357 Sig. due to the colder weather. Here hoping you never need the 380!

As a note I do have 380 in the Winchester Ranger T-Series for my wifes PK380 she keeps in the house.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I like the Buffalo Bore 100 grain flat nose hard cast +p .380. I think it is the best compromise between penetration and wound channel.

Hornady Critical Defense performs well in my wife's BG .380. Lately there have been some favorable ballistics reports regarding consistency of penetration and expansion. Recoil is noticeably stronger than range ammo, and she doesn't feel comfortable with anything hotter.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird. It'll happen to you.—Abraham Simpson

Thanks, guys for the responses. I bought a box of DPX, Gold Dots, and Critical Defense to test at the range. They all shot well individually, and in mixed mags.
    The DoubleTap just really looks good to me, great prices on a great round.

And as a side note, the BG 380 shoots GREAT! All the internet talk about the 'horrible' trigger is just that. I shoot this little guy as well as I can shoot my XD40 and MP9; 3" groups at 7 yards, 4" at 10, and about 4 1/2 at 15. Very smooth shooter.

Links