Hornady's "Critical Duty"? Not for us?

This is a discussion on Hornady's "Critical Duty"? Not for us? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gun rags drive me nuts sometimes. I think they forget what they wrote in their last issues. Latest Guns & Ammo "Handguns" has a nice ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Hornady's "Critical Duty"? Not for us?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.

Gun rags drive me nuts sometimes. I think they forget what they wrote in their last issues.

Latest Guns & Ammo "Handguns" has a nice article on Critical Duty ammo and how well it performs thru various mediums, etc., and then finishes up by saying it's intended for LEO use and not for the civilian market due to its penetrating abilities and the inherrent liabilites involved, blah-blah. They say, "Even in the most armed-citizen-friendly states, a civilian who shoots at a criminal hidden behind a wall or inside a vehicle will likely be considered by law to be engaged in a gunfight, not engaged in self defense." Well, duh! I think any time guns are pulled and fired it's a gunfight--regardless of the reason.

Well crap. Aren't we always told to "carry what the local PDs carry"? Why are you advertizing "LEO only" ammo in a civilian gun rag instead of a trade magazine? (Full page ad no less.)

Are we not supposed to defend ourselves from someone hidden behind a wall (in your own home?) or inside a vehicle (ever heard of a drive-by?). The article is so full of contradictions from previous articles that it makes me question anything in print from "knowledgable" sources.

And then I notice that these same gun rags that condemn all for calling an AR-15 an "assault weapon" run tactical equipment ads with all the characters in the photos dressed in full SWAT wear and masks puilled up over their faces [just like the BGs do (?)]. And they wonder what perpetuates the misnomer of "assault" weapons?

Well, that's their opinion, I suppose. And opinions are like...

The results of the article's testing were pretty impressive, by the way.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Latest Guns & Ammo "Handguns" has a nice article on Critical Duty ammo and how well it performs thru various mediums, etc., and then finishes up by saying it's intended for LEO use and not for the civilian market due to its penetrating abilities and the inherrent liabilites involved, blah-blah. They say, "Even in the most armed-citizen-friendly states, a civilian who shoots at a criminal hidden behind a wall or inside a vehicle will likely be considered by law to be engaged in a gunfight, not engaged in self defense." Well, duh! I think any time guns are pulled and fired it's a gunfight--regardless of the reason.

Well crap. Aren't we always told to "carry what the local PDs carry"? Why are you advertizing "LEO only" ammo in a civilian gun rag instead of a trade magazine? (Full page ad no less.)

Are we not supposed to defend ourselves from someone hidden behind a wall (in your own home?) or inside a vehicle (ever heard of a drive-by?). The article is so full of contradictions from previous articles that it makes me question anything in print from "knowledgable" sources.

And then I notice that these same gun rags that condemn all for calling an AR-15 an "assault weapon" run tactical equipment ads with all the characters in the photos dressed in full SWAT wear and masks puilled up over their faces [just like the BGs do (?)]. And they wonder what perpetuates the misnomer of "assault" weapons?

Well, that's their opinion, I suppose. And opinions are like...
    Sounds like an aggressive form of marketing....It seems like they do this just so individuals will buy it.......These days the words, Black, Tactical, Operator, Duty, Penatration, Expansion, are words that make a product sell.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I haven't purchased a gun rag in two years, for some of the same reasons. I believe alot of misinformation that we see spewed around here comes from people reading the stupid things and believing it to be gospel.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

They are in the business of selling magazines, nothing more. Anything that will catch your eye long enough to make you want to plunk down a fiver and take the magazine home is a win in their book. On a side note, has anyone noticed how ridiculously expensive gun-related magazines are getting?
    Hoganbeg, mr.stuart and mook012 like this.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredonce View Post
    They are in the business of selling magazines, nothing more. Anything that will catch your eye long enough to make you want to plunk down a fiver and take the magazine home is a win in their book. On a side note, has anyone noticed how ridiculously expensive gun-related magazines are getting?
    Probably has something to do with internet and every body going online, therefore, they are probably loosing subscribers.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    An instructor I had said it best: "Guns and Blammo".

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Gun rags drive me nuts sometimes. I think they forget what they wrote in their last issues.

Latest Guns & Ammo "Handguns" has a nice article on Critical Duty ammo and how well it performs thru various mediums, etc., and then finishes up by saying it's intended for LEO use and not for the civilian market due to its penetrating abilities and the inherent liabilities involved, blah-blah. They say, "Even in the most armed-citizen-friendly states, a civilian who shoots at a criminal hidden behind a wall or inside a vehicle will likely be considered by law to be engaged in a gunfight, not engaged in self defense." Well, duh! I think any time guns are pulled and fired it's a gunfight--regardless of the reason.
    This is me, all concerned about a gun magazine's blanket statements regarding my justification for shots fired in a situation they know nothing about...

This me my, giving them my rebuttal regarding justification and liability:

Guns and Ammo never met a commercial product they didn't like. At least one noted gun writer left after being forced to edit a piece he wrote so the turd of a gun he was writing up come off smelling like a rose.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Almost all "specialty" magazines get the lions share of their income from advertisers and not from selling magazines. But the more magazines they sell through hype and eye-catching articles, the larger reader base quickly elevates the price of advertising space.

The best and largest advertising space in any magazine can't hold a candle to the increased sales any business can get from a plug or favorable recommendation by one of the magazine's "resident experts"; therefore, I would imagine that said "favorable expert comment" in many of those magazines is often highly influenced by some serious extra financial contribution by one or more of its advertising sponsers.

Since most of those rags and resident experts have an "opinion for sale" sign on the back door, I take very little of it seriously until I start seeing the same positive feedback from consumers and other non-biased sources who aren't dependent on advertising sponsorship.
    Gforty likes this.

VIP Member
    But, but, but .....

It's in print! It HAS to be true!

Doesn't it?!

Ahh, man! Now I have to completely rethink my self-defense philosophy.

What a bummer!
    JerryMac, mook012 and OldVet like this.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

If I want to know about something gun related, I go to www.defensivecarry.com, not the magazine rack...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Gun mags have their place. I for one like to read a LOT and it is better than reading Cosmo.
    hienykins, OldVet and JerryMac like this.

A couple of points I would like to make. 1) An flashy advertisement is the begining of my purchase decesion process, not the end. 2) Law enforcement DOES have different requirements and rules of engagement. 3) No bullet is perfect for every situation. 4) Shot placement superceeds everything else.
    hienykins likes this.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Probably has something to do with internet and every body going online, therefore, they are probably loosing subscribers.
    Maybe but thats not happening with other magazines/ like I also get travel boating and motorcycle mags and they are all in the "normal" price range but WOW 10 bucks for a magazine.....ouch!
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

Hornady's Critical Duty is geared to guns with a barrel longer than 3.5" i believe. The Critical Defense works best in the short barrel. I got this from reading the manufactures website.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links