.45 ammo for apartment defense?

This is a discussion on .45 ammo for apartment defense? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 1911 for CC and home defense (my home is an apartment) and was wondering what the best ammo to use is? If ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: .45 ammo for apartment defense?

I have a 1911 for CC and home defense (my home is an apartment) and was wondering what the best ammo to use is? If I would ever need to use it, I would obviously want to be sure no one else gets hurt (besides the BG).

If it is a newer Apt,it will have fire walls,and you should be relatively safe in a self defense sit,I would still stay aware of where B-rooms,L-rooms.etc are,most interior rooms are just sheetrock.

So any JHP would be good?

I keep 230gr Gold Dots for all around defensive ammunition in my apartment and out. The heavier bullet is moving slower and the large cavity of the Gold Dots expand pretty quick on impact, which should slow it moving through a wall. They also function flawlessly in my 1911. Training and practice are more important than ammunition selection here though, because any ammunition shot straight in to the wall will pass through unless it hits a stud or something else in the wall.
    Redline likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Good self-defense rounds will have good penetration.

Don't miss.

Honest, I'm not trying to be smart - just pragmatic.

This is true no matter if you live in a single stand-alone home or in an apartment. Get to know your home, know where the safe backstops are, so that you can at least have an idea of the safe fire-lanes: having such an option available for setting up your last-line-of-defense may well be worth considering - but realize that when things go wrong, you may not get your choice.

"Accuracy is final."

Hit your target. The Guard Dog EFMJ might be worth looking at as it is lighter weight and the hollow point cavity won't get plugged (since it doesn't have one). Maybe load the gun with 3 or 4 of them and have the bigger stuff further down in case you need it.

I personally chose not to worry about it. I have gold dots for 9mm and HST 230gr for 45acp. I know they make ammo that wont penetrate wall, etc. My priority was stopping threats, then worrying about over penetration. I would rather have a round that will hit vitals and penetrate, than a round made to not penetrate that may not stop threats.

I do live in an apartment. As a result I have a handgun for my defensive weapon over a shotgun. Only one round to worry about at a time. Don't like the idea of six 30 caliber balls flying around my living room. Of course there is the AK..

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by FryDay View Post
    I have a 1911 for CC and home defense (my home is an apartment) and was wondering what the best ammo to use is? If I would ever need to use it, I would obviously want to be sure no one else gets hurt (besides the BG).
    Any ammunition suitable for self defense use will present penetration issues to the interior construction of the common American apartment dwelling......so the solution is simple, don't miss.
    Chief1297 and Cuda66 like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I personally chose not to worry about it.
    This scares me for your neighbors. And FYI, if you "don't worry about it" and God forbid have to shoot and you end up killing your neighbor you will do time for manslaughter. YOU are responsible for all bullets that leave your gun and where they stop.

Isn't it kinda reckless to say "I don't worry about it"?

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    This scares me for your neighbors. And FYI, if you "don't worry about it" and God forbid have to shoot and you end up killing your neighbor you will do time for manslaughter. YOU are responsible for all bullets that leave your gun and where they stop.

Isn't it kinda reckless to say "I don't worry about it"?
    I was thinking the same thing

Well. I am aware of any consequences of shooting innocent people. Despite this I do not choose to buy $30 6 packs of bullet that won't penetrate. It seems backwards to me. I want to stop a threat. Penetration will do this. Will a round designed to not penetrate drywall penetrate bone? I would doubt this, but have not tested it. It is cost prohibitive. While the round would cater to my neighbors, I feel it would do me no good.

I want to reach vitals, and stop a threat. Perhaps there is a round that will smash through bone and penetrate the 12 or so inches, but will not go through drywall and wood. If not I will stick with one that offers better stopping power, over lower remodeling costs. Aside from that, my most probable shooting lane offers three walls among other things before it starts to reach anyone's residence.

I think it was elaborated adequately throughout the remainder of my original post. I minimize risks to an extent I feel is reasonable(use of handgun, over a shotgun or rifle). I see no good reason to handicap myself any further. If I am shooting my life and those I live with are threatened. I would want that addressed quickly and effectively.

Lightweight bullets that may penetrate slightly less interior walls are notoriously poor stoppers. This means you'll likely have to shoot more, which raises the risk of a missed round exponentially.

Go with a good, proven JHP that your pistol likes and practice--a lot.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I don't know man. The Extreme Shock stuff has some pretty impressive ballistics videos on youtube. I think that might be the way to go if you're willing to pay that much to fill a couple of magazines.

They don't show what the .45 can do but given what even the .380 is capable of I don't doubt the .45's ability in doing some serious damage.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

VIP Member
    I know of a ND case (it wasn't me) that happened in an apartment:

The .45 FMJ zipped through a TV, through the next wall (two drywall and insulation), across the next occupied apartment, through the next wall (two drywall and insulation), across the next apartment (not-occupied) and into the next wall, where I think it buried itself into a stud.

In total it went through one rear projection TV, 5 layers of half inch drywall, two layers of insulation and stopped in a stud. Not officially known is that it's my opinion that one pair of underwear were ruined. Strangely, the TV worked just fine, other than an odd place on the screen.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Yeah. bullets will certainly travel. I moved into a nicer area. Figured it will lower the odds of needing to fire.

I see it was an FMJ that traveled like that. Could one assume that a JHP will get bogged down and stop sooner?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links