Clean cheap plinking ammo - 9mm

This is a discussion on Clean cheap plinking ammo - 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone! I tried to do a search for this topic but didn't really find one that matched up. Anyone have any opinions on a ...

Thread: Clean cheap plinking ammo - 9mm

Clean cheap plinking ammo - 9mm

Hey everyone!

I tried to do a search for this topic but didn't really find one that matched up.

Anyone have any opinions on a cost-effective plinking ammo in 9mm I'm really digging the cost of 9mm ammo!!

I'm looking at TulAmmo, Silver Bear, Independence or Federal. I'm leaning towards the Federal.

I'm pretty anal about cleaning my guns so I never shoot without giving them a very thorough cleaning. From what I've read that is one of the big issues with cheap ammo, it's very dirty & can be corrosive.

50 round box approx cost:
    TulAmmo $9.50
    Silver Bear & Independence $9.75
    Federal $10.25

the cost difference doesn't matter to me (in that it's all better than .40 ) and really it's only a $0.75 swing, I'm only worried about shooting filthy ammo that could possibly harm my gun

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone

2. Remove Ads

[QUOTE=HoganLongfellow;2102430]Hey everyone!

I tried to do a search for this topic but didn't really find one that matched up.

OK, I'm an idiot. I guess I didn't happen to see the post about 1/2way down the page.

whoops!

9mm Range Ammo Question: cleanliness + reliability

Quote Originally Posted by HoganLongfellow View Post
    I'm pretty anal about cleaning my guns so I never shoot without giving them a very thorough cleaning. From what I've read that is one of the big issues with cheap ammo, it's very dirty & can be corrosive.
    I think you can safely put your mind at ease about "corrosive" ammo. To the best of my knowledge, no commercially ammunition manufactured since maybe the mid 1970's has had corrosive primer compounds.

I used to be anal about cleaning my guns until I started shooting ARs and trained with some serious people. They knew lots more than I did and their working guns would almost never be accused of passing the white-glove test. Now I shoot steel matches 2-3 times a month, and the 1911 I use just gets a good wipedown and a couple of drops of lube after each shoot, and a more thorough cleaning after 500-600 rounds. It runs like a sewing machine and never chokes.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

federal 9mm luger worked gr8 in my p95. had a few fte's with pmc bronze tho
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Here's my quick rundown on the target ammo out there:

Federal, UMC, and WWB are decent, and readily available at Walmart for a good price. I don't find them to be particularly clean, and there is variability in the rounds, but they do work.

S&B and PMC are good, generally cheap at a LGS, and I find their QC to be on par.

Personally I shoot RWS or GECO. Quality is excellent, and they are 124gr so recoil is more similar to a defensive round.

Tulammo ammo usually works fine, but for some reason I just prefer the other stuff for a buck more.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

cabelas has Sellier & Bellot 9mm for 9.99 per 50 with free shipping for orders over 99.
    you're not going to find brass ammo for too much less

Links