What do you feel is best for a .380 defensive handgun?

This is a discussion on What do you feel is best for a .380 defensive handgun? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AZ Hawk Just an FYI: Out of a 3.5" barrel, the 95 gr. PDX1's only penetrated 8.5" in ballistic gelatin. Basically, if ...

View Poll Results: Please choose one, if you can, and explain why.

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • FMJ

28 22.40%
  • JHP

81 64.80%
  • FMJ - Winter Only

7 5.60%
  • Other

9 7.20%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What do you feel is best for a .380 defensive handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Just an FYI: Out of a 3.5" barrel, the 95 gr. PDX1's only penetrated 8.5" in ballistic gelatin. Basically, if you hit someone in the arm, it may not penetrate into the chest or may be stopped short of anything important. If you're attacker is a really big guy, it may not penetrate through the fatty tissue.
    True, but being new to the defensive carry side its what I bought. I may change but it is what I have for now. If nothing else I'll go for upper chest/neck shots. As I said if 1 doesn't do it I have 13 more waiting to follow.

2. Remove Ads

My bug (BG380) is loaded with 90 grain Gold Dots.

Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    True, but being new to the defensive carry side its what I bought. I may change but it is what I have for now. If nothing else I'll go for upper chest/neck shots. As I said if 1 doesn't do it I have 13 more waiting to follow.
    You can't aim in a reactionary close combat situation in which someone is trying to kill you thanks to human evolution. Point shooting rules in close combat. (See: Jelly Bryce, William Fairbairn, Rex Applegate and Eric Sykes. Also, I suggest reading Lt. Col. Grossman's "On Combat" and/or "On Killing.")

Why?

When you are in a high stress close combat situation with another person, animal, whatever, your eyes autofocus on your combatant. (Think tunnel vision). It's nearly impossible to overcome without significant high stress training, and even then, it's unlikely you'll be able to take your eyes off the person trying to kill you.

This is why I and many others like long, heavy bullets in calibers with enough momentum and energy to reach the vitals no matter the shot angle or intermediate barrier.

Which do you think is superior?

.380 ACP - Winchester 95 gr. PDX1: 955 fps, 192 ft-lbs KE || 8.5" Penetration, 0.6" Expanded Diameter

.40 S&W -- Federal 180 gr. HST: 1,020 fps, 416 ft-lbs KE || 12.0" Penetration, 0.93" Expanded Diameter
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    i carry a .380 bodygurad and a sig P238 and I alternate first shoot is a hornady critical defense Hollow point, sencond shoot is a FMJ flat nose, you get the best of both worlds, big hole and penetration, not sure who recommended this to me but it made perfect sence and I do that in all my EDC guns...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links