Defensive Carry banner

Please choose one, if you can, and explain why.

• FMJ

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • JHP

Votes: 81 64.8%
  • FMJ - Winter Only

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 9 7.2%

What do you feel is best for a .380 defensive handgun?

13K views 63 replies 56 participants last post by  jblives2ride 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get an idea what most people here feel is the best for a .380 in terms of stopping a bad guy.

I had an LCP at one point and sold it to get a PM9, there have been a few times where a smaller/lighter gun would have been nice so I'm thinking about picking up a Bodyguard (on sale at Gander Mountain right now).

My thoughts are to find a good SD round in FMJ, but want to see what the majority believe is best for these little pocket rockets.

#2 ·
I don't have a .380, but I do have a P64 in 9x18...a little warmer than .380, but not much.

I carry FMJ only in it, year round. It's the only round that consistently punches past 12".

#7 ·
I carry 95 gr Winchester PDX1 during warmer months.

During the winter I change my ammo to a flat nose full metal jacket.

Reactions: W9HDG
#8 ·
Good stout FMJ loads, every time, all the time. I carry with a flat-nose full metal jacket load.

I'm not a huge fan of .380 ACP but have one on hand for when nothing else will conceal. I want to insure penetration above all. FMJ is the best way to accomplish penetration. No fiddling about with hollow-point bullets which won't effectively turn the .380 into some power house when it just isn't.

Reactions: Copperjacket
#11 ·
I keep the Federal HST in mine, and it's supposed to usually penetrate to about 10-11". I think that's pretty good, and I keep in mind that the cartridge got its "mouse gun" label with the FMJ rounds that were out when it was first created. I would rather have them open up and hopefully cause more damage. If you hit a vital area, which is needed regardless of caliber, I think it will do the job. If not, keep pulling the trigger until they stop. Since I have a Beretta Cheetah that holds 14 total, I doubt someone would continue an attack through all 14 shots. As with anything, make sure whatever you pick will reliably cycle.

#14 ·
I think you mean HydraShok.

Last time I checked, Federal does not make HST in .380.

#12 ·
I like the Buffalo Bore .380ACP rounds. They have a few +P rounds (there is no SAAMI spec) that are really hot rounds.

#40 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^That is why^^^^^^^^

I selected other.

I would go with a good 9mm, on up.

Reactions: suntzu
#15 ·
Honestly I want flat nosed FMJ, but can't seem to get a hold of them. I use JHP in my bersa, frankly though it depends on the gun, on super short barrels I prefer FMJ, but in 3"+ barrels JHP are my preference.

#21 ·
I like the larger wound a JHP makes and feel that blood loss is essential to stopping an attack. I do not have the same needs as the FBI to shoot through doors and glass. I am also held liable for riccochets and over penetration. In a SD encounter I am not standing my ground for a gunfight so I do not need 12 inches of penetration. If it becomes hand to hand combat I will draw my knife.

#25 ·
My vote was for the FMJ, but with a slight twist.

Whenever I carry a .380 it's loaded with the "flat nosed FMJs". Reason being; the FN FMJ hit with more FPE and on average have a straighter and larger wound cavity over the standard round nose FMJ that can slip and curve in soft tissue. Not that I have done any personal testing on the subject, but when I was doing my research, that's what I gathered from several sources. I also liked the heaviest .380 round I could find and that ended up being the Buffalo Bore 100gr HC stuff... IMO, that stuff will do the job with ease.

#26 ·
a 9x19 would be the best 380 handgun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.