Defensive Carry banner

Please choose one, if you can, and explain why.

• FMJ

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • JHP

Votes: 81 64.8%
  • FMJ - Winter Only

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 9 7.2%

What do you feel is best for a .380 defensive handgun?

13K views 63 replies 56 participants last post by  jblives2ride 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get an idea what most people here feel is the best for a .380 in terms of stopping a bad guy.

I had an LCP at one point and sold it to get a PM9, there have been a few times where a smaller/lighter gun would have been nice so I'm thinking about picking up a Bodyguard (on sale at Gander Mountain right now).

My thoughts are to find a good SD round in FMJ, but want to see what the majority believe is best for these little pocket rockets.

#34 ·
I definately recommend Hornady Critical Defense...but for home use only as they are not as accurate as say Winchester FMJ. Reason I say that is your "target" will be alot closer shot inside the home. Hollow points at close range will create big hole and lots more force on impact.

#38 ·
In my P3AT, I carry one DPX hollow-point in the chamber, then FMJ for the rest to ensure both feeding reliability and penetration. My wife has pretty much the same set-up in her P-32, but IIRC it is a Hydra-Shok instead of a DPX. Don't happen to have any DPX in that caliber (or sure if its available anyway...).

#39 ·
I carry a Ruger LCP in the summer months. It is the perfect size to keep on me no matter what I am wearing. In the summer I use a HP ammo. In the winter here in NW Wisconsin I switch to an every other round scheme. First round is a hollow point, second round is a full metal jacket and so on.

#41 ·
Winter waather dosnt factor in quite as much as it used to anymore, Their is JHP ammo designed for passing through layers of clothing these days without the clothing ruining the terminal effects of the howwol point.

#53 ·
380 is .355, same as 9mm.

380 not being enough is a ridiculous fallacy.
When people say 9mm comparing it to .380 you know they mean 9mm Luger, not 9mm Kurtz (short) which is .380. Do you equate 22LR same as 22 or are all 7.62 the same. If you like the caliber, fine. Remember, people come here to learn. Don't try to confuse people that are new to handguns that they are the same round with same characteristics.
And, you can use the word fallacy but again there are new people here. Most reports and studies recommend 9mm Luger over the .380. And you know that. Let the new folks get educated so they can make up their minds.

#45 ·
For the 380 95gr FMJ flat nose easy to come by will do what needs to be done. They feed well.
JHP will work but each step farther away the less effective they become. I know a 380 is not for an across the road shot

#47 ·
I have 2 380's my favorite is my Sig Sauer P238. Both are loaded with Hornady Critical Defense loads. While not a complete JHP it is close. Only the ball in the tip makes it different. Very good round for the 380.

#48 ·
I am not an expert by any means but I would suggest a good qulaity JHP in +P or +P+
The reason is this: You want a high speed round that will dump all its energy in the target. The energy increases as the square of the velocity so relatively small increases in velocity will be reflected as significant increases in energy. A good JHP will expand enough to present a significant cross section which should prevent over penetration.

#49 ·
my favorites in order-
Corbon - DPX
Hornady - Critical Defense
Glaser- PowerBall
Buffalo Bore - 100gr fn hardcast

Buffalo Bore makes a 380 Auto +P Ammo - 80 gr. Barnes all copper round that looks to be maybe even better than the DPX, but no one around here has it in stock.

#50 ·
In my Bodyguard, I carry FMJ blunt nose rounds. I think of a .380 as a defensive option only as a last resort, and I consider reliable feeding to be the most important factor of the gun. Placement is on me, but I think these small .380's seem to feed and eject most reliably with something other than hollow-point...

#51 ·
Here's some testing done with a P3at:

GoldenLoki.com

Note that only a few of the tested JHPs reached the FBI minimum of 12 inches of penetration - none reached the desired 15 inches. Many of them failed to expand at all.

The FMJ rounds tested, OTOH, all had 16-17 inches.

Given the primacy of penetration over expansion, I use FMJ (preferably a flat point) in my LCPs.

#52 ·
The thread is titled "What do you feel is best for a .380 defensive handgun?". So being literal: I would say use at a range for practice only or dry fire.

#55 ·
I carry a S&W Bodyguard .380 as a BUG, and I load it with the 80 gr. COR-BON DPX load. It's not ideal, but until I find a .380 match load with a flat nose, it's what I'll use. I simply don't trust Winchester White Box.

However, if I have to use a firearm in self defense, it's going to be a Glock 23 loaded with 180 gr. Federal HST; the chances of having to use my BUG as a civilian are astronomical.

Just an FYI: Out of a 3.5" barrel, the 95 gr. PDX1's only penetrated 8.5" in ballistic gelatin. Basically, if you hit someone in the arm, it may not penetrate into the chest or may be stopped short of anything important. If you're attacker is a really big guy, it may not penetrate through the fatty tissue.

#56 ·
Hornady Critical Defense in a Sig P238 with 2 spare mags. From all the research I did, this round expanded consistantly, and had penetration in the 10-12" range. The P238 is extremely accurate, easy to shoot and control, and is very easy to conceal. I don't know many people whose vital organs are more than 10" deep within their torso. Maybe Andre the Giant?

#57 ·
For what it's worth, you are assuming you get to take a straight on shot with zero obstructions.

Reactions: kmagnuss
#58 ·
I did some measurements a couple months ago on myself... I'm 5'11" 200 lbs and weightlift regularly. Built like a wrestler. 10" won't come close to getting to my heart on a side shot through my arm. It will get there from a straight on shot though... but probably won't get to my spine at any angle other than from the back.

There are guys out there WAY bigger than me... fat or muscle doesn't matter. 8-10" of penetration just isn't going to cut it in many circumstances.

It's like the old saying in golf... never leave a birdie putt short.

#59 ·
JHP's ride in my KelTec P-3AT...it's an in your eye gun anyway, might as make a little bigger hole.OMOYMV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.