9mm ammo, what do you guys think? - Page 2

9mm ammo, what do you guys think?

This is a discussion on 9mm ammo, what do you guys think? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Out of the ones you posted, 3 and 5 would be the best IMO...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 9mm ammo, what do you guys think?

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Out of the ones you posted, 3 and 5 would be the best IMO
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Around here it is Gold Dots or Ranger T's. My XDm gets 124+P Rangers. The SIG gets 124 grain Speer standards. Can't find any +P Gold Dots, but I would darn sure run them if I had them.

9mm

Has anyone have any info on the Federal Guard Dog 105 grain, for defensive carry? It appears we are having new ammo surface. Wondering if this stuff seems to be a better choice than what we are use to?

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Locally, I can find cheap and available surplus LE ammo in the following brands/weights:

1. Ranger T 124gr +P
    2. Ranger T 147gr
    3. Golden Saber (bonded and non) 124gr +P
    4. Golden Saber (bonded and non) 147gr
    5. Gold Dot 124gr +P
    6. Gold Dot 147gr
    7. Winchester PDX-1 124gr +P
    8. Winchester PDX-1 147gr.

I tend to like heavy for caliber (carry 180gr in my .40 SW). But I've heard 147gr in 9mm isn't that great. What do you guys think? Those types of ammo should all be pretty similar in the different weights, right?

Cool! Thanks guys :)
    Their is no bad choice in that list, except the one which is most expensive compared to the one you get the best deal on.

If you are getting any of that for under $30/50 rounds out the door, jump on it like a slutty cheerleader would to make sure a math geek agreed to let her cheat off his test so she can pass her final exam.

And if it's under $40/50 rounds...just buy it. Without the enthusiasm...but buy it.

Do a little research on the Golden Saber: it is crap ammo. Lots of jacket/core separation. I prefer PDX. Although, I'm given the option of GS (issue) or we are approved to purchase our own HST. I buy my own :)

August 19, 1970 - June 2012
    1. Ranger T 124gr +P
    2. Ranger T 147gr
    3. Golden Saber (bonded and non) 124gr +P
    4. Golden Saber (bonded and non) 147gr
    5. Gold Dot 124gr +P
    6. Gold Dot 147gr
    7. Winchester PDX-1 124gr +P
    8. Winchester PDX-1 147gr.

Of the ammo on your list, the Gold Dot has the best reputation over time. There have been QC issues with the Winchester Ranger stuff that as lead to greater availability on the commercial market as agencies have not been buying it in the quantities they had been. The Remington Golden Sabre stuff is decent but tends to under expand and overpenetrate. The PDX stuff looks good but is the relative newcomer. The Speer Gold Dot, both 147 and 124 +P, perform well in IWBA and FBI test protocols and have been used by LEO long enough to have had the test data corroborated with actual shootings.

August 19, 1970 - June 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by firefire View Post
    Has anyone have any info on the Federal Guard Dog 105 grain, for defensive carry? It appears we are having new ammo surface. Wondering if this stuff seems to be a better choice than what we are use to?
    The Guard Dog is just a rebranding of the EFMJ product from several years ago. EFMJ [Expanding Full Metal Jacket] offerings were too light and failed to penetrate deep enough for FBI & IWBA test protocols. This new Guard Dog stuff uses even lighter projectiles &, consequently, has even less penetration.

One new projectile that does look interesting is the Hornady Critical Duty ammo. The Critical Defense ammo was purposely designed to not meet FBI test protocols and was essentially useless but this new Critical Duty stuff looks very promising. I plan to pick up some of the 135gr 9mm and see how it does.

I shoot 124 gr reloads and what evers cheap at the range. But for carry I prefer 115 to 124 usally golden sabres or hornady tap fpd or the critacal defence.

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    I've heard 147gr in 9mm isn't that great.
    The bad 147 gr reputation is with older ammo, with bullets that did not expand due to the lower velocity of the heavy-weight 9's. Modern hollow-point bullets should work fine at normal velocities for their weight.

The first question I would ask is: What functions 100% in your gun?" If you don't know, buy a few boxes of the 147 and 124 gr ammo, go to the range, have some fun, and see what works with no failures.

You don't say what gun this is for and whether it is spec'ed for +P ammo. Not sure? Go with the standard pressure stuff. Nothing wrong with it.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by firefire View Post
    Way too light to consider. Underpenetration will be a serious concern.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Of all those choices just close your eyes and pick one. They are all quility products and you shouldn't have any problems with those rounds. I to however tend to go heavy for each caliber I use.

In all of my 9mm I stick to 115 GR JHP or 124GR JHP I will burn up some cheap 115 ball when it comes my way for hole punching.
    IMO for what ever it is worth any heavier just is not right for a 9MM

Do a little research on the Golden Saber: it is crap ammo. Lots of jacket/core separation.
    I picked up a box of Golden Sabers (124g +p JHP) that say BONDED all over the box, supposed to have fixed that problem.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links