frangible ammo?

This is a discussion on frangible ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is frangible ammo any good? I have several family members living with me and I'm concerned about hitting someone by accident....

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SpencerB

Thread: frangible ammo?

frangible ammo?

Is frangible ammo any good? I have several family members living with me and I'm concerned about hitting someone by accident.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

2. Remove Ads

Use JHPs and know your target and what's beyond it
    Majorlk likes this.

It will act just like FMJ going through walls. They only break up on hard steel.

If you are worried about it you can look at these
    Extreme Shock - The World's Most Advanced Ammunition
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    That's actually what I was meaning. I thought that was also called frangible. Am I wrong?
    Ron Paul 2012

Frangible Ammunition

Frangible Ammunition

Frangible, or "soft," rounds are designed to break apart when they hit walls or other hard surfaces to prevent ricochets during close-quarters combat. Frangible ammunition represents the first viable revolutionary change to firearms science in the past 100 years. Frangible ammunition is a relatively recent development in bullets, presenting a departure from the standard projectiles in use for both range shooting and personal protection. With the advent of modern hostage rescue tactics in the 1970s and 1980s, the military and police agencies began to look for ways to minimize overpenetration risks. One widely-accepted solution was the frangible round, also known as the AET (Advanced Energy Transfer) round.
    Frangible rounds are available in a wide array of pistol calibers, but due to the inherently high velocities of rifle rounds, frangible ammunition is much less effective in rifles. It is only produced in 5.56mm NATO and 7.62mm NATO, and its performance in actual combat is dubious. There are two frangible rounds that have been approved for training purposes only. One is a 9mm, and the other a 5.56. Approval for operational use will depend on the special mission requirements (the military necessity) for the round.
    Frangible bullets are not made from a lead projectile covered with a copper jacket, but are composites of hybrid materials either pressed together at high pressure or glued together with adhesives. Frangible bullets are designed to break up into smaller pieces upon contact with harder objects or surfaces. The polymer-compound round produces no splashback and vastly decreased ricochets. Frangible bullets will break up into small, less harmful, pieces upon contact with anything harder than they are. This maximizes the round's transfer of energy to the object and minimizes the chances that pieces of the bullet will exit the object at dangerous velocities. Each of the small fragments quickly loses any energy and therefore pose very little danger to any secondary targets. This means that full-power frangible bullets can be shot at target all the way up to muzzle contact without any worries that the bullet or case will ricochet and potentially hurt either the shooter or others.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

I bought some Speer Frangible ammo in 357 Sig. Out of 250 rounds, 5 had the nose of the bullet break in the weapon. Another 10 shattered while loading or while handling the mag.

They are a little too fragile for me.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I have some Glazers for my .357mag- no real worries about the nose getting damaged while loading. I also have some for my .45ACP. I haven't loaded any into either gun yet, but I have them. Probably start carrying them this summer.

I prefer the Glazers when it comes to frangible rounds because of the bird-shot that they're packed with- so that little bits of everything go everywhere instead of just the little bits of the bullet.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    ROFL! Unfortunately, there are people who actually believe the company's marketing hype.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Yep.

Folks, if these rounds were all they were cracked up to be, they'd be in use by major LE agencies.

They aren't.

This should tell you something.

Heck, even Air Marshals don't use frangible...they're using (last I heard) 125gr .357 Sig Gold Dots...

These "neat-o, most advanced boolets" don't always disintegrate when they hit walls (in fact, they have a nasty tendency of blowing clean through drywall), and are designed to underpenetrate in the bad guy...which means less chance of getting them to stop, which means you'll have to shoot more, which means your chances of missing go up dramatically.

Get a good, proven JHP and just don't believe they hype...spend all the extra money you would spend on the exotics on practice ammo and range time.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

OK, thanks for clearing that up guys.
    Ron Paul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    ROFL! Unfortunately, there are people who actually believe the company's marketing hype.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Yep.

Folks, if these rounds were all they were cracked up to be, they'd be in use by major LE agencies.

They aren't.

This should tell you something.

Heck, even Air Marshals don't use frangible...they're using (last I heard) 125gr .357 Sig Gold Dots...

These "neat-o, most advanced boolets" don't always disintegrate when they hit walls (in fact, they have a nasty tendency of blowing clean through drywall), and are designed to underpenetrate in the bad guy...which means less chance of getting them to stop, which means you'll have to shoot more, which means your chances of missing go up dramatically.

Get a good, proven JHP and just don't believe they hype...spend all the extra money you would spend on the exotics on practice ammo and range time.
    Now now people,

I choose JHP for myself, I have however played with these and we poured out the coon that was shot with them, I had to raise an eyebrow not sure on heavy clothing but I have to wonder.

As far as the comments on LE well it took an act of congress to switch the FBI and LE to JHP in the first place (fighting the public and feeding miss information to them to get it done) and now they are moving back to hard cast and FMJ.

Go with what works and more importantly, what YOU have confidence in, Believe me the mind plays a role in ways you cannot fathom. Full confidence in your equipment right or wrong will aid you in the time of need. Shot placement is still key, if in the back of your mind you are worried about over penetration it WILL hinder your reaction, even if you do not think it will. You are running on a sub conscious level at that point, like it or not, if you have had repeated thoughts of your ammo going through walls ect. It will affect your reaction.
    So psychological or real YOUR confidence is paramount.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Kindly substantiate that the FBI and/or major LE agencies are moving back to hard cast and FMJ.

Sorry, I'm not buying that.

I'd also be interested in knowing what congressional act it was that made the FBI and LE in general switch to JHP's...not buying that one, either.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Links