Not rotating your ammo =Kaboom? long - Page 2

Not rotating your ammo =Kaboom? long

This is a discussion on Not rotating your ammo =Kaboom? long within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by deadhawg I talked to Glock on the phone, they were not interested in looking at the gun, besides, I don't blame the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Not rotating your ammo =Kaboom? long

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadhawg View Post
    I talked to Glock on the phone, they were not interested in looking at the gun, besides, I don't blame the gun at all. I will be ordering a new G30 in the next couple of days.
    Blame notwithstanding, a disinterested manufacturer does not enhance my confidence.

Just glad you are ok.... scarry situation.

Holy hell, that is a kaboom!

Glad you're ok.

Wow..thanks for sharing your story and glad that you are okay!
    Sig Sauer P250
    Member-GeorgiaCarry.org
    US Navy 84-93

I do not believe carry ammo around causes any effect on the powder.
    Another thing is that an under charge is more dangerous than an overcharge, and I bet this is what happened.
    Bullet may have not been pushed out fast enough to keep back pressure from building up. Or, round got stuck and second round did the trick.
    Mike1956 and Knightrider like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Glad you're OK other than having to buy new underwear and a new weapon!

Looking at the photos, isn't doesn't look like a squibb load as there is no buldge in the barrel, but from the chamber splits on the barrel I'm thinking maybe the bullet was seated to deep or push back down into the shell brass reducing the shell volume and over pressurizing the round?

Again glad you're OK and keep wearing your safety gear.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Good reminder to wear saftey galsses and ear protection.
    Glad it didn't turn out any worse.
    mkh likes this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Another thing is that an under charge is more dangerous than an overcharge, and I bet this is what happened.
    Bullet may have not been pushed out fast enough to keep back pressure from building up. Or, round got stuck and second round did the trick.
    That makes much more sense than too much Shake 'n Bake on the ammo. I have never had a squib, or even seen one, but would there not be a noticeable lack of report and recoil from the faulty round?

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Blame notwithstanding, a disinterested manufacturer does not enhance my confidence.
    Doesn't bother me a bit that Glock didn't want to see it. They wouldn't learn anything from it and examining it costs time and money. They have tested their guns 4 ways from sunday under controlled conditions and that includes blowing some up. They can tell from looking at the pictures it wasn't their guns fault. The big clue is the chamber of the barrel ripping open due to over pressure. When they see that they know what the story is. They know within a few percent how much pressure it takes to do that.

The OP is right, this was an ammo problem. Probably a significant over charge of powder but I'd doubt it was a full double charge. I don't see any reason that riding around in a motor cycle saddle bag would do anything to screw up the powder enough to make it do that. Besides, the other cartridges had been riding in the same place and they didn't blow up.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

GM
    That is what I call a Kaboom! I am glad you are OK.

"… The only exlaination that I can come to is that the kaboom may have been caused by firing ammo that had been carried in the saddlebags of my motorcycle for thousands of miles. The vibration of the bike, the bouncing around from potholes, etc. caused the powder to break down into smaller granules, which will ignite and burn faster that the would otherwise …"
    I am skeptical about your theory.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerMan View Post
    "... Something to consider is that a lot of ammo rides along with cops on bikes and in cars for god knows how long, with the military in all sorts of vehicles and conditions, not to mention loaded cartridges and loose powder is shipped in trucks, ships, and possibly trains and airplanes from manufacturers all over the planet to other continents."
    I was thinking exactly the same thing.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    An under charge in a pistol is only dangerous if it causes a bullet to stick in the bore. Different story in a rifle with the longer barrel, but in a pistol, if the bullet gets out the muzzle, there is no problem. The gun may not cycle, could jam, etc. but it won't blow up unless the bullet gets stuck in the bore, and then it will be the next round that does it, not the undercharged round.

In this case, given that the gun felt the same for the preceeding round, I doubt it was an undercharged round that stuck the bullet. If it did stick the bullet, it would more than likely still be there stuck in the barrel with the second bullet behind it.

The bullet not being pushed out fast enough to keep the pressure from building up makes no sense at all in a short barrel. if the pressure is there to blow the gun up, it will push the bullet out ahead of it. In a rifle different story - the bullet can lag due to an undercharge or incomplete burning and simultaneous late combustion of the unburned powder in the bore can cause a big pressure pulse - this has been measured but seldom results in visible damage. Not going to happen in a pistol - barrel is too short.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Doesn't bother me a bit that Glock didn't want to see it. They wouldn't learn anything from it and examining it costs time and money. They have tested their guns 4 ways from sunday under controlled conditions and that includes blowing some up. They can tell from looking at the pictures it wasn't their guns fault. The big clue is the chamber of the barrel ripping open due to over pressure. When they see that they know what the story is. They know within a few percent how much pressure it takes to do that.

The OP is right, this was an ammo problem. Probably a significant over charge of powder but I'd doubt it was a full double charge. I don't see any reason that riding around in a motor cycle saddle bag would do anything to screw up the powder enough to make it do that. Besides, the other cartridges had been riding in the same place and they didn't blow up.

Fitch
    I don't know whether they looked at the picture or not. Aside from the picture, it is all speculation, anyway. One person thinks maybe the powder got bounced around too much, another suspects a squib load, a couple others think overcharge. The ammo manufacturer assures the reliability of its product, yet buys the user a new firearm in exchange for his discretion in not mentioning them by name. All I know for certain is there is a picture of a pistol-turned-fragmentation-device of a very similar make to the ones I carry and rely on. I know they blow up from time to time, but believe having some idea of particulars might prevent similar mishaps in the future.

In most cases I would agree that just carrying ammo around would not cause any effect on powder, but this ammo was carried in the saddlebags of a Harley on a cross country trip covering over 14,000 miles. That's a lot of vibration
    I am certain that there was no bullet stuck in the barrel, as I saw the impact of each prevous round in the target. As far as an undercharge, I doubt that also, as the felt recoil of each prevous round felt normal, and each round struck the target near point of aim.
    I don't claim certain knowledge that the a breakdown of the powder caused the problem, but I believe it is a real possibility.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

Went back to the range the next day with my SP101 and G19. Took a real deep breath before the first round, believe me! Also wore shooting gloves too.
    Glad you got back up on that horse so quickly! I think I would have needed to be retrained all over again after a substantial break. And, of course, glad you were not more seriously injured.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

VIP Member
    In most cases I would agree that just carrying ammo around would not cause any effect on powder, but this ammo was carried in the saddlebags of a Harley on a cross country trip covering over 14,000 miles. That's a lot of vibration
    I am certain that there was no bullet stuck in the barrel, as I saw the impact of each prevous round in the target. As far as an undercharge, I doubt that also, as the felt recoil of each prevous round felt normal, and each round struck the target near point of aim.
    I don't claim certain knowledge that the a breakdown of the powder caused the problem, but I believe it is a real possibility.
    What put you on the powder theory? I have looked around, and have not found powder breakdown shown as a cause of catastrophic failure anywhere. Was your Glock not covered under warranty?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links