Re-chambering a round can cause problems

Re-chambering a round can cause problems

This is a discussion on Re-chambering a round can cause problems within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I learned re-chambering rounds in a semi-auto may create a problem. I carry a round in the chamber, and when I uncarry to store, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Re-chambering a round can cause problems

Lightbulb Re-chambering a round can cause problems

I learned re-chambering rounds in a semi-auto may create a problem. I carry a round in the chamber, and when I uncarry to store, I remove the round from the chamber. This means every time I go out, I'm re-chambering a round multiple times, and increasing a potential problem.

I learned when a round is chambered, the feedramp pushes the bullet into the case. Each time the round is chambered, the bullet is pushed into the case. Manufacturers recommend not to re-chamber a round more than twice.

I believe the presumption of the cause is from the normal slide release method of chambering a round.

Additionally, there is a design by creating a cannelure to the case helps alleviate the problem. I have some admiration for manufacturers willing to add a small design to help solve a problem, if done correctly. Gives me some confidence in the manufacturer's R&D.

I'm planning to make some changes. I'll still unload/reload when I carry and store, but I'm not going to slam the slide on a round, presumably eliminating the cause of the problem. I intend to slowly release the slide on a round (and I presume I won't cause another unknown problem by doing this). And when looking for ammo, I'll choose the cannelure.

Jake

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    This question is not intended to criticize your routine or method of storage, but can you tell me why you feel it is necessary to unload and unchamber your pistol every time you store it?
    rolyat63 likes this.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

I'm with MotorCityGun. Why are you unloading and loading so much? There should be no need to do so.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

...can you tell me why you feel it is necessary to unload and unchamber your pistol...?
    Safety. My guns are stored unchambered, no magazine, away from ammo. I don't have a gun safe.
    Dry fire. I'm frequently loading/unloading.
    Switch between practice and defense ammo.

RKM
    If you must chamber over and over again and decide to ease the slide forward, tap the rear of the slide a few times with the palm of your hand to assure the firearm is in battery. IMO, the only downside to easing the slide forward is chancing the round not fully seating in the chamber. A few taps on the rear of the slide should assure it's in battery. Some firearms will be finicky and will have trouble chambering or jam if the slide is eased forward.

I've safety shot round that have been chambered MANY times. If you can't actually see any set-back with the naked eye, I wouldn't put much thought into it. I've unintentionally shot fairly set-back rounds in .380. The only affect was the recoil was a bit more stiff or the round didn't chamber correctly. If you can't SEE the set-back (comparing to a known good round), don't worry about it. Do everything you can to prevent set-back and examine your defensive ammo every time you reload.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I always leave my active carry gun loaded because of the possibilty of round setback, as far as that goes my carry guns in the safe stay chamberd also. But that's me now, no small children in the house & I do have a safe.

When the kids were small & I dident have a safe I would rotate the round in the chamber with the rounds in the magazines.
    Yeah it was kind of a pain but gave me peace of mind. Come to think of it when I unchamber a round these days I still have the "round rotation habit".

Guess that's a good thing.

I own five (5) mags for my CCW. I interchange the mag every week and unload all the rounds in the mag and load the same ones in a different mag. I do this to keep the Mag spring fresh and with full elasticity. This also includes the chambered round. The weapon always remains loaded. Anything of what's being discussed in the above post, apply here? I'm doing something wrong?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bolocanolo View Post
    I own five (5) mags for my CCW. I interchange the mag every week and unload all the rounds in the mag and load the same ones in a different mag. I do this to keep the Mag spring fresh and with full elasticity. This also includes the chambered round. The weapon always remains loaded. Anything of what's being discussed in the above post, apply here? I'm doing something wrong?

I believe the real wear and tear to a mag spring are through use. Why would it hurt a spring to stay compressed?
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

To the op. Your semi auto was designed to have the slide slam forward. If you ease it forward ( as seen in many movie where stealth is needed) you run the risk of your firearm not going into battery.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

yeah, "setback" can cause a KABOOM in your carry weapon. Rotate you carry loads, and you will be fine.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

A locking pistol box won't cost you more than like $50 if you are looking for nothing more than just something to keep little kids out. I strongly recommend investing in something like that as opposed to continuously clearing and reloading a weapon like that. You are far more likely to encounter a ND doing something like that as opposed to simply putting the still-loaded weapon into a locked container. I agree with others who have said if you can't see any setback compared with rounds that have not been chambered then it is probably fine.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    I believe the real wear and tear to a mag spring are through use. Why would it hurt a spring to stay compressed?
    ^True. Picture a paper clip, you can bend it and it is fine, but wiggle it back and forth and eventually it breaks on you. The only thing that wears a mag spring out is use.

On the topic of setback with carry rounds, if I have to unload my carry gun for whatever reason I simply take the round that was chambered and stick in the back of the box and grab a fresh one.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar

What set back ??

After the subject of "SET BACK" came up in a previous thread, I checked some rounds that I knew had been chambered at least 20 times. I checked with a micrometer using a round from the same box that had never been chambered. There was absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in OAL.
    WEAPON: M&P 45
    AMMO: Winchester Ranger T 230gr
    There was no easing the slide forward, when the mag is seated the slide releases and slams into battery.
    Maybe it's just this combination, but until I see EVIDENCE of a problem , I'm not going to worry about it.
    Your results may vary.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    ^True. Picture a paper clip, you can bend it and it is fine, but wiggle it back and forth and eventually it breaks on you. The only thing that wears a mag spring out is use.

On the topic of setback with carry rounds, if I have to unload my carry gun for whatever reason I simply take the round that was chambered and stick in the back of the box and grab a fresh one.
    That is good to know. I have wondered about this from time to time. For example, with my Glock I have a 15 round magazine and several of the 10 round mags. I keep my HP ammo in the 15 round magazine and pretty much never take it out. When I go to the range, I use the 10 round mags for practice. That means the spring in my 15-round magazine has been compressed for many years without ever being used. It is good to know that it won't hurt it.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    Safety. My guns are stored unchambered, no magazine, away from ammo. I don't have a gun safe.
    Dry fire. I'm frequently loading/unloading.
    Switch between practice and defense ammo.
    I hope you don't do this with your house gun ?
    As far as setback you have to chamber a round about 15-20 times before any hair of a difference !
    If your controlling the slide when chambering, you shouldn't have any at all. If your carrying a round with cannelured bullets they don't move at all.
    The cannelure locks the bullet in place so to speak.

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links