10mm Self Defense Ammo ( what do you carry?)

This is a discussion on 10mm Self Defense Ammo ( what do you carry?) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I myself carry the winchester 170gr silvertip in my stainless target 2( gotta love how thin a 1911 is ), the ammo shoots nice not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 10mm Self Defense Ammo ( what do you carry?)

10mm Self Defense Ammo ( what do you carry?)

I myself carry the winchester 170gr silvertip in my stainless target 2( gotta love how thin a 1911 is ), the ammo shoots nice not a bad recoil. Its been a while since I looked to see if there are any newer or better offerings for the 10mm in a self defense round to be used in an urban areas, where sometimes I wonder/worry if the 170gr will be a liability issue for over penetration. When I go out walking thru the woods I tend to carry buffalo bore 220 gr. Hard Cast - FN (1,200 fps/ME 703 ft. lbs.) where the penetration ( I have shot the norma stuff & I even have a trophy box on my shelf) is more needed incase I happen across some type of 4-legged friend. Like I said I was just wondering if there was anything better out there today I should be considering......
    Thanks
    G

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I carry 230 hard cast double tapp for the woods and there 180JHP nosler bullets for the every day.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I am currently carrying 155grn SilverTips that I handloaded to around 1400fps. I'm also wanting to try some 135grn Noslers.

I use Swamp Fox or Underwood 180g JHP from about 1340 to 1400 FPS depending on which gun I am using I have a G29SF, a Colt Delta Elite and a few 10 series Smith's.. Swampfox is out of business because the owner passed away but Underwood is potent as well.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Buffalo Bore 180gr JHP ( only the speer gold dot loads)... if I get a batch with replacement bullets, back they go.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Is that Remington Golden Sabres on those rounds? I was about to buy some until I saw the reviews of these bullets. Seems they are real bad for jacket seperation in the 180g 40S&W. The 10mm would probaly be worse. I went with Winchester Silvertip instead.

Remington Golden Saber .40 S&W 180 gr JHP test with Denim - YouTube
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    double tap or and silver tips.

I'm noticing that everyone seems to like the heavier bullets, is there any reason for that?
    The below is a link to you tube showing a 170gr pmc hp hitting some gel, pretty interesting to see in slow motion.
    Do you think a double tap 135gr hp would do anything close to this? Like I mentioned I'm a little concerned about
    over penetrating... that being said I don't want to go to a hydro-shock( not knocking the bullet design) because ballistics are pretty much a 40 s&w I want to stick to a "true" 10mm load & compensate over penetration by reducing bullet weight... do you think the over penetration is really something I should be concerned with? Should I maybe go with a corbon 150gr, so as I'm not too lite in the bullet weight?
    G

SLOW MOTION 10mm Auto PMC 170gr JHP impacting ballistic gelatin - YouTube

I carry DT 135gr in my 610 and don't have any worries about the performance. I had considered using the 165gr Gold Saber load, but it was unavailable when I ordered.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I carry 180gr Hornady XTPs that I load myself at around 1450 ft/sec
    MIA/POW , Bring em home or Send us back

BB 135's in my g29

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Hornady 155 gr. XTP for my Glock 29; I chronographed it and @ 1,278 fps it exceeds the advertised velocity even out of just a 3 3/4'' barrel.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcheck View Post
    ...where the penetration ( I have shot the norma stuff & I even have a trophy box on my shelf) is more needed incase I happen across some type of 4-legged friend. Like I said I was just wondering if there was anything better out there today I should be considering......
    Thanks
    G
    Lions and tigers and bears, oh, my! The Glock magazine a while back had an article where the Norweigans selected the 10mm Glock for protection against polar bears. I'd hate to rely on any handgun for that size bear, but they have more experience than I in dealing with the bears.

Anything can under-penetrate; everything can over-penetrate. You've got to select what is most appropriate for what you most likely will encounter and go with it. Otherwise, you end up reloading for the event of the day.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Lions and tigers and bears, oh, my! The Glock magazine a while back had an article where the Norweigans selected the 10mm Glock for protection against polar bears. I'd hate to rely on any handgun for that size bear, but they have more experience than I in dealing with the bears.

Anything can under-penetrate; everything can over-penetrate. You've got to select what is most appropriate for what you most likely will encounter and go with it. Otherwise, you end up reloading for the event of the day.
    Acutally, I think that was the Danes on their Greenland patrols.

(their rifles, interestingly enough, are 1917's in .30-06...)
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links