This is a discussion on .357 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 158 gr Gold Dot !...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: .357

158 gr Gold Dot !

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

2. Remove Ads

Don't make the mistake of chasing velocties and energy figures. Pick a good bullet in the proper caliber, preferably in the mid to heavy loadings, and learn to shoot it well.
    True, this!!
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Carry 125 gr Hydra-Shoks, and have no intention of ever changing them to anything else. You can also get some Bear Loads if you want more power, but I don't recommend them as good for regular shooting.... why waste them for that. You could use a 180 gr Buffalo Bore.

My recommendation for SD, stick with the 125 gr ... whatever commercial one you choose.
    Federal doesn't load a 125gr Hydra Shok in .38 or .357.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    I've gotten away from the designer stuff. Right now I just use 125 Gr. UMC 38 Special +P SJHP.

Why? I've shot thousands of rounds of UMC, and I am familiar with it and how it shoots out of my various .38 J-frames. The Golden Sabers have about the same energy, but it's a different experience, bigger bang, etc. Yeah, terminal ballistics may differ. But if I ever need to use the gun, I want to be very familiar with the ammo I'm using to ensure shot placement.

I have about 50 rounds of golden sabers. They are about twice the cost of the UMC stuff. I have it in my 686+ nightstand revolver, but when I've shot it up I won't buy more.

Also, I'm pretty sure the UMC stuff will do the job.

EDIT: I forgot to add, I use the .38 because I am much more accurate in point shooting with the .38 than I am with the .357 loads. So even though the thread is .357, I just want to add I've chosen to carry .38's due to the accuracy. Also, if my wife ever needs to grab the gun, I'd rather the recoil be a tame .38 than a steroid laden .357 load.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    Another one that's yet to be shot.

Attachment 55255
    If it is just burdening you by taking up space in your safe and being useless I will gladly get it out of there for you. I'll even give you a rif .357 that you can actually shoot too! Hahahahaha
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    Another one that's yet to be shot.

Attachment 55255

I hear it is virtually impossible to get your hands on one. Back in the six shooter days for Police Officers, my Dad carried that gun as his official sidearm.
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    I hear it is virtually impossible to get your hands on one. Back in the six shooter days for Police Officers, my Dad carried that gun as his official sidearm.
    I got lucky one day when my wife was at the dentist, next door was a gun store. This was the first Python I had ever seen other than pictures in a book. I checked it over and remarked that it doesn't appear to ever have been fired. (mint condition) The store owner said I was right, it had never been fired. It had been left there on consignment by a "collector" only a couple days earlier. After an hour or more of begging (foreplay) my wife, she gave in and I took it home.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Federal doesn't load a 125gr Hydra Shok in .38 or .357.
    I'm not quite as anal as some are, I knew it was not the 147-158 gr..... they are 129 gr in .38 and 130 gr in .357 to be EXACT. Buffalo Bore makes one in 125 gr. . Anyone looking at Hydro Shok ammo, I"m sure would have figured that out. Hyrda Shok in 9mm, is the 125 gr.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...roducts_id/703
    [PD357HS2] $25.49 for 20 rds. :
    This is 357 Mag Federal Hydra-Shok PD 130gr. Hollow Point Ammo. This ammo contains a post in the middle of the hollow point to give it rapid expansion and deep pentration. This ammo is also very suitable for short barreled weapons and women, because it is a reduced recoil round. This ammo has proven stopping power. Comes packed in 20rd plastic box.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/fede...x-p-74673.html
    $23.85 for 20 rds. @ Able's.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Sorry it took so long to reply its a 3inch sp101

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    It's a .357, any one will do if you hit him in the right place. He won't be in a hurry to go anywhere and if he can he will be screaming like a girl.
    Even if the bg is hit in the wrong place, the .357 shock wave is going to put a serious hurt on him. Most likely he will sit out the rest of the encounter.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I use Fiocchi 158gr. Nice weight for a powerful round.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Back in the 80's when we carried 357 duty guns,my department issued 145 grain winchester silver tip hollowpoints,Apparently IIRC it has an aluminum jacket that allowed for better expansion than other loads at that time
    Old school but I like it. That's exactly what I keep in my Dan Wesson (4" barrel) for when it has bedside duty. I only have one box left so I don't shoot it at the range anymore. It's hard to find around here.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links